Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 22nd, 2022 09:00

USB Type-C multiport has power, but no communication.

XPS 13 9370

XPS 13 9370

Good day,

I have recently bought a generic external USB Type-C multiport device to connect my printer and mouse which uses normal USB 2.0/3.0 ports. The multiport device worked for a few weeks, but recently stopped working, or so it seems.

What is strange, is that the device still receives power (LED on the device lids up when plugged in) and is also still able to give power via the USB 2.0/3.0 ports (e.g. to charge a phone). What it does not do, is to allow communication between whatever devices are plugged into it and the computer. I.e. if for example the mouse is plugged in, it does not pick up the mouse...the same happens with the printer and other devices.

This leads me to think that either there is some sort of miss communication between the computer and multiport device (in which case I should be able to fix it) or that there is some kind of hardware damage on the multiport device (in which case I will not be able to fix it).

I have tried multiple routes to fix the problem, but without any success. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver software, tried troubleshooting via BIOS. I also don't know how to troubleshoot any further.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 22nd, 2022 11:00

Reportedly (by other forum users), some of those cheap Chinese no-name ones aren't very good.

Dell has some Dell-branded ones. Maybe get one of those.

I'm using this one (from a "real" company). It works fine on my multiple recent-model XPS laptops and some MacBooks I tried.

Be sure your XPS is running the latest firmware (and that all the sub-components got flashed-up-to proper versions contained within). This is an example:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9310-Updates/m-p/8247460

2 Posts

September 28th, 2022 06:00

Thanks for the suggestions. It turned out to be a hardware problem on the device, so I will need to replace it. Will try and find a branded one, the only reason I went with the previous one, was that it was the only USB-c multiport that I could find with an 3.5mm audio input that allows for a headset input (sound+mic). But will just have to search a bit further.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 28th, 2022 17:00

Not sure why you are not connecting the headset directly to the computer, but I would suggest one of these. They plug into any USB-port. They even have a USB-C one.

No Events found!