Highlighted
2 Bronze

Unknown Device in 9350 Device Manager After Windows 1803 April Update

After installing the recent April Update for Windows 10 my XPS 13 9350 is now showing an annoying "unknown device" in device manager.  I've tried everything I can think of to get it to go away with no luck.  Notable troubleshooting:

- Unknown device has Hardware ID of BTH\MS_BTHL2CAP. Researching online this is supposedly the Microsoft Bluetooth Protocol Support device.
- Searching online has been unsuccessful in finding the *.inf with corresponding driver. It is a Microsoft driver that might normally come with Windows.
- My Bluetooth device is an Intel 8260 and I have tried a few Intel drivers to see if it would correct the issue...no luck.
- SFC/scannow reported 0 integrity violations
- Windows Bluetooth Troubleshooter reported 0 issues.

-I've tried installing Dell Bluetooth drivers and Intel Bluetooth drivers for this model and they don't fix the issue.

In another Windows forum it appears that other Dell owners are experiencing a similar problem.  I respectfully request that Dell support technicians look into this issue and propose/offer a solution.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
3 Zinc

Re: Unknown Device in 9350 Device Manager After Windows 1803 April Update

This is a driver supplied by Windows 10. I have not upgraded my 9550 yet to v1803. The current driver version I show for Windows 10 v1709 is 10.0.16299.15. It appears that v1803 has messed up Bluetooth. There are others reporting Bluetooth issues as well.

JohnD

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same problem on my XPS 9560 and on and old HP DV7-7162, so its more than likely a windows problems and not a specific Dell or HP problem. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Fortunately, someone on another forum figured out a solution.  Here's how to do a in-place upgrade repair of Windows.  You can get the most current installation media from Media Creation Tool...it has been updated with the April Update.  Then do the following:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Unfortunately you have not understood what the problem is, hence the suggested "solution" is irrelevant and useless.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Unknown Device in 9350 Device Manager After Windows 1803

Actually (and confusingly), doing an in-place repair - and, in my case, re-installing the BT driver - works. The unknown device (bthl2cap) is gone, bluetooth working fine. Long process, though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

I had a couple of unknown Bluetooth devices on my system and found a way to get rid of them.  So you might try, since it will probably happen again.

Try opening the Devices and Printers dialog and checking the Properties-services tab, if it has one.  You might find that protocol being required by one of the devices.  Possibly, a mobile device is involved.  If you find it, you may be able to uncheck the entry to get rid of the unknown device.  Not sure how this could affect the device making the request, but that component is probably not working anyway.

On my system, I found my Powerbeats Bluetooth headset was requesting the two unknown devices/services.

If you search for L2CAP or Bluetooth Profile Driver, you can find quite a bit of info about it although I did not find a way to download some service or driver.

1 Copper

Same issue here. Inspiron 3721.  Dell Wireless 1704 Bluetooth v4.0+HS

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Same here.  9360.  After the upgrade I have the same Unknown Device.  Clearly BT and says "Location: on Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Bluetooth 4.1" in driver properties.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same here on my XPS 9360 post 1803 update
0 Kudos