Last reply by 08-20-2019 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Updating Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver fails

Failed update

Log can be found here: https://pastebin.com/h5Tm1iCv

Also unistalling the driver fails...

Does someone has any suggestions? I'm updating the driver because I have some issues with my WD15 dock.

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions

I think it's a conflict with another Intel driver, probably Management Engine Interface. Removing and reinstalling both solved my problem. I had also made a Windows update too.

View solution in original post

Replies (11)
7 Plutonium

Try updating your system BIOS first, since you have to be on the latest BIOS to update your Thunderbolt software.  That said, if you're using a WD15 rather than a TB16, this isn't going to help.  The WD15 uses regular USB-C, so the Thunderbolt software wouldn't even come into play, in fact you could run the WD15 without the Thunderbolt software installed at all.  If you haven't already, you might want to try installing the firmware update for the WD15 itself, which you can find at support.dell.com if you select Accessories > Docks > WD15.

My bios is up-to-date, I'm running the 12/12/2017 version for the XPS 13 9360.

Eugh, thats bad news. Also I'm unable de uninstall the Thunderbolt software.

The dock is running the newest firmware, updating the dock was what caused it to dysfunction. After the update the dock sometimes works but most of the time it does not. After rebooting the xps a few times it suddenly works...

Anything in the listing help?  I don't know what error 1603 is, maybe someone else does.

There was also a note earlier about the language being NL and later the language was identified as Unknown...

1. Action 21:36:32: Action7_OnUninstall.
  2. SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI57FA.tmp-\
  3. SFXCA: Binding to CLR version v2.0.50727
  4. Calling custom action ThunderboltInstaller!CustomActions.OnUninstall
  5. Unregister Thunderbolt service WMI provider
  6. Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden
  7. CustomAction Action7_OnUninstall returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
  8. Action ended 21:36:32: InstallFinalize. Return **bleep** 3.
  9. Action 21:36:32: Rollback. Rolling back action:

If any moderators are around, they are still bleeping the word V+alu+e. I reported this two weeks ago.

I had exactly the same issue when I tried to update the thunderbolt software today. Not only that,but when I saw the update failed I did the huge mistake to completely remove the previous version expecting to install the new version succesfully but didn't work! Now I am not able to use neither the previous nor the new version..good lesson,I shouldn't insist to update that.

I have same problem but with different laptop company.

I am searching online for some solution..I think that it is some windows conflict.

I think it's a conflict with another Intel driver, probably Management Engine Interface. Removing and reinstalling both solved my problem. I had also made a Windows update too.

I will try your advice.
Yesterday I activated the log verbose and looks like missing a file that maybe tbtsvc.exe need. The problem is to discover what is missing..
If someone had same problem, he can tell me how he resolved.

MSI (s) (20:78) [23:24:47:102]: Executing op: ServiceInstall(Name=ThunderboltService,DisplayName=Thunderbolt(TM) Service,ImagePath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Thunderbolt Software\tbtsvc.exe",ServiceType=16,StartType=3,ErrorControl=1,,Dependencies=[~],,,Password=**********,Description=Connects and manages Thunderbolt™ devices,,)
InstallServices: Service:
MSI (s) (20:78) [23:24:47:102]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=Action61_PostInstall,,)
Action 23:24:47: Action61_PostInstall.
MSI (s) (20:78) [23:24:47:102]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=Action61_PostInstall,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=PostInstall,CustomActionData=APP_NAME=Thunderbolt.exe;SERVICE_NAME=tbtsvc.exe;INSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Thunderbolt Software\;UILevel=5)
MSI (s) (20:78) [23:24:47:118]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI9B7B.tmp, Entrypoint: PostInstall
SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI9B7B.tmp-\
SFXCA: Binding to CLR version v2.0.50727
Calling custom action ThunderboltInstaller!CustomActions.PostInstall
Installing service ETW manifest
Register Thunderbolt service WMI provider
Microsoft (R) MOF Compiler Version 10.0.18362.1
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. 1997-2006. All rights reserved.
Parsing MOF file: service.mof
MOF file has been successfully parsed
Storing data in the repository...
Done!

Configure Thunderbolt service
Starting service if driver is up
Starting Thunderbolt application if controller is up
Adding task to task scheduler
Add task Start Thunderbolt application on login if service is up to task scheduale failed, exception: The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
AddThunderboltTasks failed, Exception: The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
The system cannot find the file specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070002)
CustomAction Action61_PostInstall returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 23:24:50: InstallExecute. Return value 3.

I unistalled all intel drivers and installed new version but nothing change.
I think that it is something about windows.. I also update windows to the last version.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor