stevewhits
1 Copper

Upgrade SAT HDD to SSD

I have a Dell XPS L501x that is about 6 or 7 years old and is frustratingly slow to boot at times running Windows 10 (it came with Win7). It has an Intel I7-740QM, 1.73, 6MB, CLF, B1 processor with a 1Tb SATA HDD with 4gb RAM. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Samsung 500Gb SSD and trying to work out if it's worth it

0 Kudos
2 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Upgrade SAT HDD to SSD

It will speed up the system immensely - if you're planning to keeping the system awhile, yes -- it is definitely worth the cost. Note that most SSDs are 7 mm or slimmer - you may need a shim to install one in place of the 9.5 mm drive your system is designed to use: https://www.amazon.com/Edge-7mm-9-5mm-Spacer-Adapter/dp/B014LQM6I2
8 Krypton

Re: Upgrade SAT HDD to SSD

I agree with ejn63. An SSD is easily the single best performance per dollar upgrade you can make for the average user’s workload. I added one to an older system in 2010 and it extended the useful life of that system by about 3 years. A 5-year-old system with an SSD will feel faster for everyday tasks than a brand new PC with a spinning hard drive. Honestly if you’ve never used a system with an SSD, it’s transformative. The only downside is that you will find every HDD-based system unusable afterward.

If you can also spring for an upgrade to 8GB of RAM, that might help noticeably too. Check Task Manager’s Performance tab first. If you’re using 75% or more of your RAM, Windows is probably working hard to keep memory free for whatever else you might use, in which case adding more RAM will improve even your existing workload by allowing Windows to cache more content in RAM. But between the two I’d do the SSD first. Look at the Samsung 860 Evo.

0 Kudos