XPS

1 Copper

Upgrading 9570

Just wondering if it is worth it to get the 9570 with the lower ram and storage option withe the 4k display, and upgrade each, or if it would be better to just get the more expensive option

Labels (5)
Replies (8)
7 Thorium

A pair of 16G modules for this system will run you about $400 -- and a 1T NVMe drive about the same - so unless the price difference is much more than $800  -- and you know  you'll want the upgrade - it probably makes sense to get the system with those already installed.

I upgraded mine to 32GB of RAM, 2TB NVMe drive by Samsung, and Intel NIC card.  I spec'ed out my laptop to the minimum specification and did the upgrades myself.  This saved me over $1100.

Hi,

Did you by minimal config 8Gb RAM + 256Gb SSD? Did it come with big battery over 2.5" hdd bay or short battery with 2.5" hdd bay empty?

Thanks.

The only 8G configuration currently on the US Dell site has a hard drive (1T) and a  56WHr battery.  Also note this model has only integrated video - no nVidia.

The next step up has 16 G, the SSD and a 97 WHr battery.  It has the nVidia GPU.

If you're buying elsewhere, the specs will tell you what is included.

@ejn63 wrote:

The only 8G configuration currently on the US Dell site has a hard drive (1T) and a  56WHr battery.  Also note this model has only integrated video - no nVidia.

The next step up has 16 G, the SSD and a 97 WHr battery.  It has the nVidia GPU.

The 8G/1TB HDD model has an upgrade option to replace 1TB HDD with 256GB Pcie SSD (in the US. www.dell.com/en-us ).

My question was: Does that upgraded version (with 256Gb SSD) have 97Wh battery or remains with 56Wh and empty HDD bay?

As I don't need powerful video card, my intention is to save a buck by buying lower priced 8Gb/256G SSD version then upgrading the RAM. But I want the big battery. It's a deal breaker. Aftermarket 97Wh costs $100. 

No - upgrading the drive doesn't change the battery -- this model still comes with the 3-cell 56 WHr battery.

If i try to upgrade to either the samsung 960 evo or the 970 evo (yes i have both) i crash after a few minutes BSOD "driver power state failure". 

I did a lot of clean installs, and tried almost everything i can think of. 

It only happens if i install either of this samsung drives. Doing the exactly same steps with a clean install in the original m.2 ssd (SK Hynix 512gb), doesnt produce BSOD. 

Any ideas? 

I also upgraded one of mines to 12GB, Sata M.2 128GB, the SSD was one I had laying around so only spent $70 for a major performance boost overall :)

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions