Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

2 Posts

July 18th, 2020 04:00

WD15 - Power off Issue

HI.

I am used a Dell WD15 with XPS and two monitors. One is connected with HDMI and the other Displayport. All works as I would expect until I shut down the XPS and turn off the monitors.

If I remove power to WD15 then the light on the WD15 remains on. If power is later restored then the USB connector to the XPS does not light and there is no connection to the WD15 and monitors. The only way I have found to resolve the issue is to power off, remove the HDMI cable and then restore power and reconnect monitor.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here. Having to disconnect and re-connect to dock defeats the point of having one.

Thanks in advance

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 18th, 2020 07:00

@Cliffgreen  If you remove power from the WD15 and then reconnect power while a system is attached to the WD15, then the WD15 will not immediately start working with the system.  This relates to how USB Power Delivery negotiations have to work.  The dock needs to have power before a system is connected to it.  But if the WD15 loses power, then you should be able to get things working again by simply disconnecting and reconnecting the system, not having to shut down and mess with HDMI cables.  But why are you removing power from the WD15 in the first place?  Docks are designed to remain permanently connected to power.  If you're trying to avoid keeping your laptop battery topped up all the time, then go into the BIOS and set maximum and possibly minimum charge levels.  That is a much more effective and much simpler way to control that.

No Events found!