Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

B

2 Posts

April 19th, 2020 07:00

WD19 TB not powering up

I have an xps 15 9575.  Purchased a used WD19TB, it has a 180w  power supply from Dell.  When plugged in, the power light on the WD19 blinks three times, the fan kicks on and then it shuts off. The WD19 power button does nothing and it is not recognized by the XPS.  Any thoughts?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

See if anything in the WD19TB User's Guide helps. See page 28. Three flashes is a good sign that means is it getting power.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@bjmacdow1  I would start by updating the BIOS on the XPS 15. Just to confirm, is the XPS running when you connect it to the dock and the system still doesn’t detect the dock? Does it even detect the dock as an attached power source? If it doesn’t at least do that even after updating the BIOS, since there’s no firmware update available for the WD19TB as of this writing, I would guess that you have a bad dock. Charging should work without any effort at all as long as the dock itself has power, which it seems to given that the manual says that three blinks of the LED when a system is connected means that the dock has started drawing power from the power supply.

2 Posts

April 19th, 2020 08:00

The BIOS is updated and there is no power getting from the dock to the computer.  The XPS is running when  connect it and I have tried each of the USB C ports on the XPS. 

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 19th, 2020 09:00

@bjmacdow1  I think this will be a problem with the dock.  Three blinks means the dock is getting power from the power adapter, but if it's not passing any power through to the system and nothing else works either, then that doesn't mean very much.  You could try using the manual on support.dell.com to disconnect and reseat the dock end of the attached Thunderbolt cable just in case the connection is strong enough to register that the system is attached but too loose to do anything else, but otherwise I'm guessing you'll need a replacement.

February 1st, 2021 03:00

@bjmacdow1 Did you resolve this? i have the same issue and would appreciate hearing how you went.

1 Message

February 27th, 2021 16:00

I had the same issue:  my WD19TB just stopped delivering power to my XPS 13 9380 at the beginning of January.  All firmware was updated and it had been working since August 2020.  I chatted with Dell Support who had me do everything I had already done multiple times:  unplug everything, push the power button for 45 seconds to discharge residual power, then put it all back together.  Nothing.  So they sent me a new (well, refurbished) dock and I had to send the original one back.  The new one worked fine.  It has 2 monitors using the DP ports on the back, a USB-C connection to my webcam, and two USB-A connections:  to the receiver for my wireless keyboard and mouse, and to an external HDD.  Today, the new dock stopped delivering power to my laptop.  It's working as a hub for the external drive and the receiver but the monitors aren't working.  I'm not sure what to do now that this has happened a second time.

1 Message

January 7th, 2022 17:00

I FIGURED IT OUT. CHECK YOUR CABLE, ON THE END THERE IS A PLASTIC RING THAT GETS BROKEN OFF AND LODGED IN THERE, TAKE IT OUT WITH A TOOTHPICK AND IT WILL WORK. 

Seems to be a common issue. Bad design 

1 Message

January 26th, 2022 15:00

Same issue. Not finding a plastic ring...unbelievable BS by dell here.

1 Message

November 1st, 2022 06:00

The docking station powering on has nothing to do with the bios of the laptop, or anything else to do with the computer. The docking station can get power (the three blinks) but still not power on when pressing the power button. That's the problem he is having.

No Events found!