Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2018 06:00

What are my RAM upgrade options? Dell XPS l702x (Non-3D I think)(6gb RAM)

I have a Dell XPS l702x (Non-3D I think)(6gb RAM).

What are my RAM upgrade options? 

Do you have any suggestions in the way of Memory Kits??

Here is an image of the current RAM cards, can anyone verify if I have two or four memory sockets??? 

RAM.jpg

• 

16.7K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 06:00

meangene2000,

Below are  the memory specs for your system. It looks like 2 dim sockets in the image.

Memory

Image-Memory modules

The Dell™ XPS™ L702X system supports dual-channel DDR3 SDRAM with memory speeds of 1066 MHz /1333 MHz. At 1066 / 1333 MHz, this memory offers a significant increase of memory performance over previous platforms.

• The memory solution is implemented in a dual-channel configuration, allowing the system to have twice the memory bandwidth while using the same memory technology.
  • Memory modules must be installed as a perfectly matched pair to take advantage of the dual-channel memory bus. If not a matched pair, the system's memory bus operates in a single-channel configuration.
A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE:

The Dell™ XPS™ L702X has 2 DIMM sockets and 4 DIMM sockets.

• Motherboard with 1GB Video RAM have 2 DIMM sockets.
  • Motherboards with 3GB video RAM (Nvidia GT 450M) have 2 slot DIMMs because it has non 3D video solution.
  • Motherboard with 3D 3GB Video RAM have 4 DIMM sockets.

Memory Configuration

Dell™ XPS™ L702X has four user-accessible SODIMM sockets, all slots can be accessed after removing the memory door. When atleast two DIMM connectors are populated, the system has optimum dual-channel performance unless channels A, B, C and D have different amounts of memory.

A NOTE indicates important information that helps you make better use of your computer. NOTE:
Install memory modules in the connectors as indicated in the following table based on the number of memory modules installed. The system may not start, if the memory modules are not installed as indicated in the table below.
Dell™ XPS™ L702X DIMM Configuration
Number of Memory Modules Slot A Slot B Slot C Slot D
1 check mark      
    check mark  
2 check mark check mark    
    check mark check mark
check mark   check mark  
3 check mark check mark check mark  
check mark   check mark check mark
4 check mark check mark check mark check mark
Memory module connectors two user-accessible SODIMM connectors
Memory module capacities 1 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB
Memory type DDR3 1066/1333 MHz SODIMM
Minimum memory 3 GB

Maximum memory

16 GB

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

March 2nd, 2018 07:00

No, it won't - this system takes 4G max per soDIMM.  8 is max for the 2-slot model;  16 for the 4-slot.

March 2nd, 2018 07:00

Thanks Jesse, that's great.

Last question.

Do you think a 2x8GB DDR3 SODIMM kit will work? Really appreciate the help

March 2nd, 2018 09:00

For anyone wondering, I picked bought a...

Samsung 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Unbuffered SODIMM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz memory - 4GB - DDR3 - 1333 MHz, 204-pin SO-DIMM, 2 x 2 GB) 

...to go from 6gb to 8gb. I will let you know how I got on. 

1 Message

March 24th, 2018 14:00

Please let us know how you got on. I'm thinking of doing the same upgrade, so I'm really interested to hear how it went.

Thanks

March 26th, 2018 04:00

Well I have installed the new Samsung 4GB DDR3 1333MHz SO-DIMM, 2 x 2 GB and the laptop is working away.

Can't really see any major differences so far. I can have Photoshop, Illustrator and Chrome open simultaneously with it stalling, but there is still a little bit of lag, when dragging pieces around etc.

Whats more curious is that my resource monitor is showing me that I only have 4096mb of physical memory available.

So, in summary, my laptop didn't blow up, I can open a few more application at the same time, but I can't see any evidence of more available RAM. 

resource-monitor.jpg

1 Message

October 22nd, 2023 17:50

I have an L502X model, and upgraded it to 16GB RAM and an SSD, which has made this 12 year old laptop a very fast machine by today's standards, it is fantastic!

But this laptop had a hinge that froze up and cracked the monitor frame, speakers are broken and distort badly, a trackpad button that doesn't work, broken keyboard ... it looks like its been through a zombie apocalypse.

So an L702X came up for sale cheaply and I jumped at it, it is nearly perfect condition, but it really is so much slower with a spinning HDD and 8GB so I've installed 2x8GB sodimm's exactly like the L502X upgrade and the laptop wouldn't boot, and when I've gone to replace the HDD with an SSD I'm totally confused as there are 2 HDD's in there(???) and they are not showing up in windows as 2 HDD's. So which HDD would I replace? The thing is so heavy!

The RAM is described in task manager as 4 slots, but looking at the bays I could not for the life of me figure out how 2 RAM modules would fit into the space? I presume I will have to use 4x4GB modules (?) rather than 2x8GB but physically how do you place 2 RAM modules into these slots? 

Any advice would be appreciated 

No Events found!