Start a Conversation

Unsolved

AF

14 Posts

December 2nd, 2019 04:00

Wifi Disconnect while HDMI is connected

Hello,
I have an XPS 13 9380, 2 months old.
my problem is that when I connect to monitor through type-C adapter and HDMI cable, my wifi disconnects, or sometimes it connects but I have no internet.

I've been connecting to a monitor since I had my laptop, but this problem started lately, and became worse over time.
how can I fix this?

• 

16.7K Posts

December 2nd, 2019 05:00

Adham Fawarseh,

What monitor are you connecting the laptop to? Have you reseated the cables? Have you reset your router? Have you tried other cables? Does the wifi work when not connected to the monitor? 

December 7th, 2019 12:00

It's connected to PHILIPS E234 monitor,
connected with type C adapter that has 3 ports: 1. HDMI 2. normal USB 3. USB type C.
if I disconnected the monitor, the wifi works perfect.
I heard it's something with the HDMI type C and the frequency of the wifi.
the solution that is working for me is connecting port #2 (normal USB) to a stereo and the aux also, everything is fine after doing that.

• 

25K Posts

December 8th, 2019 15:00

Please try connecting any other devices to the same Port and see if the issue appears.

This is just to identify if the issue is with the Port or the Monitor connection.

March 29th, 2020 06:00

I am having the exact same issue on a Dell G7. I connect an HDMI to my laptop and the WiFi stops working. I disconnect the HDMI and it starts working again. I have tried more than one display and a TV. I have upgraded drivers and checked IRQ settings.

Did you find a solution to this?

1 Message

April 27th, 2020 19:00

I have the same situation and problem with my new Lenovo Laptop when I changed my router to Netgear Orbi mesh network from ASUS AC-68U AI Mesh.  I am managed to solve the problem by replacing the original cheap HDMI cable coming with my BenQ monitor with a better shielded HDMI cable.

Paul

1 Message

May 13th, 2020 06:00

Hi there. I have the same issue with my Dell G7 but I have discovered it will connect to the 2.4 ghz but not our 5.0 ghz WiFi. I have a call back with Dell technical support today so hopefully might get some kind of resolution

272 Posts

May 13th, 2020 07:00

Please get one more similar device and then connect the monitor to that device as you would connect the original device.

Then observe if you the wifi disconnects in this case as well.

It is highly unlikely that Wifi stops due too monitor being connected to the device if no tampering has been done with the wires connected in the device.

25 Posts

May 15th, 2020 03:00

It did indeed appear to be interference from the HDMI cable. The cable is plugged into the computer via a DVI adapter. At this point, there is exposed metal. I wrapped some aluminum foil around the HDMI/DVI adapter and a good portion of the HDMI cable itself, to hopefully shield the cable/adapter area better.

This seemed to solve the problem. Hopefully, this answer can be of use to anyone else who might run into a similar situation.

1 Message

June 24th, 2020 13:00

I am having the same problem with my inspiron 7386.

May I ask Dell to explain what they are doing to help us get the performance we expect.

Regards

1 Message

July 24th, 2020 22:00

Oh Dear, So I am not the only person on this planet who is facing this issue with dell laptops :(. 

September 5th, 2020 04:00

This is an unhelpful, blame something else solution.

I've experienced the same issue over 8+ months. Tried everything including different monitors, new high-end HDMI cables, reinstalling OS (multiple times). Nothing works. Including DELL tech support. They don't know what to do with this issue. It may not be widespread in the DELL user community - but that may be a function of lower dual-monitor use simultaneous with wifi need. 

Hope someone at DELL with the needed expertise can truly address this issue.

September 5th, 2020 04:00

Experienced identical problem. Have worked with online Dell tech support - both phone and chat. Total time with both has been over 8 hours. Still not resolved.

I've tried different monitors. Sometimes it shuts down, othertimes does not. 

So, I tried upgrading to very high-end HDMI cable. Worked for a while, then stopped. After a week of good results, plugged in the HDMI this morning and same result. Unplugged the HDMI, and wireless comes back on. 

Dell wants to blame the external monitor and cable. They are not taking any responsibility for this issue...yet, it only appears to be a Dell problem (so far).

Very frustrating. 

I purchased a top-of-the line laptop to get good functionality. This is a major work stopper. Unable to use dual monitors and wifi simultaneously. 

DEL G7 7590, Killer 1550 wireless. 

Hope DELL can fix this. It will influence future purchases.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 5th, 2020 14:00

I have the same situation and problem with my new Lenovo Laptop when I changed my router to Netgear Orbi mesh network from ASUS AC-68U AI Mesh. I am managed to solve the problem by replacing the original cheap HDMI cable coming with my BenQ monitor with a better shielded HDMI cable.

===========================

Thanks for that report.

Yes, that should be the fix for any Dell laptops as well.

These HDMI cables, should be:

1. As short as possible (6 ft should be ok).
2. Properly shielded and high-quality
3. Heavy gauge wires inside (like 24 or lower)
4. Straight-thru cables (no Redmere or other non-sense build-into them)

If still not working, you can try clipping-on ferrite-core rings/beads on each end.

If using a cheap Adapter or splitter of some kind (they usually have plastic cases), you can try wrapping tin-foil loosely around it.

1 Message

September 7th, 2020 21:00

I have the exact same problem with Dell XPS 13 9360. Now I gotta carry a bunch of tinfoil in case I want to connect via HDMI? That's completely nuts. Dell support is absolute trash by the way. I really hope they can address this issue. I mean people are paying 1k dollars for "good" laptops right? 

1 Message

September 9th, 2020 08:00

Hi Guys I had this problem too and it was SOLVED IMMEDIATELY when I called the DELL tech support. They just remoted onto my laptop, updated the drivers and the BIOS and hey presto, it was all solved. My expectations were low based on all of your comments above but I'm a very happy customer and won't have to endure embarrassments when streaming now on customer site.

No Events found!