Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2021 11:00

Windows 10 Pro Upgrade issue

Hello

I have new Dell XPS 9500 Laptop with Windows 10 Home OEM

I have bought Windows 10 Pro key and used it to upgrade my system,

The key was validated and download was completed to 100% then error occur and after restart, I found the system upgraded to Windows 10 enterprise and inactivated.

I use "change the product key" to activate and downgrade to Windows 10 Pro. The product key  was successfully activated and show Windows 10 pro digital license. However, when I checked system information, it was still windows 10 enterprise although the about window and activation status show Windows 10 pro digital license

I was not happy and I did factory reset and restored preinstalled activated Windows 10 Home OEM 

I tried once again to upgrade to Windows 10 pro using Microsoft store option,  I started then after download complete (and before restart) there is the following error 0x80070005.(see image)

error.png

I did restart and I think that upgrade continued despite this error and now there was Windows 10 Pro activated with digital license.

Finally, I installed all updates successfully and later,  I upgraded to 20H2 with no problems

Current statue: Windows 10 Pro activated with digital license linked to Microsoft account

My Question;

Why this error occurs? and is there any problem with my windows installation due to this error?

Do I have to do Factory reset again then reinstall or everything is OK?

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

July 22nd, 2021 19:00

Certainly there were issue with your installation. The image Dell or any other OEMs puts on their machine is highly customized with their tools (bloatware) designed for the specific OS shipped with their products. ( I am not blaming as it helps) 

But in case of upgrade to a different version of OS like pro it does create some issue. Always use a clean install for such upgrades. I hope you haven't put much time in installing your personal app and it's not too late for you to start over. 

Use Microsoft's stock image from this link and Make a bootable Flash drive

Use clean install 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

14 Posts

July 23rd, 2021 12:00

I have 2 questions:

The option for OS upgrade present in the HOME EDITION is not a good choice?

Do you think Clean install will help? I have updated to Windows 10 Pro 20H2 with no issues and the version is running with no problems now. Also, all apps are downloaded and installed

Do you think clean install will make a difference?

Is it a good choice to just restore factory setting and maintain on Windows 10 Home edition?

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

July 28th, 2021 09:00

Sorry Missed that part in your post If you have upgraded and its working fine.: Don't fix something which Ain't broken. 

Yes Windows home is always a better Product than Pro for a personal user , I am not sure where this misconception comes from. Its easier to troubleshoot . 

All those features of Group Policy remote deployment are useless for a personal user. 

Check this link and see if you really need pro. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/compare-windows-10-home-vs-pro

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 28th, 2021 14:00

It isn't necessarily true that Home is better than Pro for all users at home.

If you want full bitlocker support, you need Pro.  And if you use remote desktop, and need to be able to initiate a session rather than just have your system respond to one, you need Pro.

It's true most home users don't need the active directory features of Pro -- but there are other features of Pro that a home user might indeed want or need to use.

No Events found!