Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

4 Posts

January 1st, 2022 16:00

Windows 11 Bluetooth disappears

I have just upgraded Dell xps13 7390 2in1 to windows 11. Everything works ok when I first start or reboot. After an hour or 2 bluetooth disappears from device manager and taskbar. All devices disconnect. Only way to fix is to reboot. Thinking about going back to Windows 10 until this can be resolved. I have been recommended to buy AX200 card to replace killer card as well.

23 Posts

January 10th, 2022 08:00

Possible it's not an OS upgrade issue. When your bluetooth disappears, check Device Manager / USB Controllers to see if an Unknown Device is listed.  If you see one, that's your problem. Here's the fix:

1. Uninstall the USB 3.0 controller. (uninstalling Unknown Device doesn't work. it reinstalls itself.)
2. Full shutdown.
3. Unplug power cord. (left mine for 30 min but prob takes less time)
4. Plug in / boot up.

The system will automatically reinstall the USB 3.0 controller. Bluetooth functionality should be fully restored.

I've been losing bluetooth periodically for months on an XPS 8930. Two days ago, it was the Unkown Device issue (not always the case) and it took me 19 hours, a useless Windows reinstall and a ton of searching to finally get it resolved.

Good luck!

2 Posts

January 30th, 2022 12:00

ken have you found the suggested solution work for you? I did a ream of things to solve it which included installing the latest BIOS. The problem has surfaced again just 1 few days after resolving it. Hoping we can figure out what the issue is.

2 Posts

January 30th, 2022 12:00

I can confirm Spluck's solution worked for me!!! However I did not plug in upon boot up in step 4. I just used battery power. Bluetooth icons back and my mouse has connected instantly after startup.

4 Posts

January 30th, 2022 13:00

I went back to Windows 10 whilst I could. I will try Spluck's solution when i got to Windows 11 in future.

February 28th, 2022 00:00

Omg you saved my life, I'm so relieved I could cry! And before this I was on the verge of tears for other reasons. Literally just got a brand new alienware like 2 days ago and my Bluetooth just abandoned me today. I've spent all night trying to fix this, even reset the thing twice, tried reinstalling drivers, did command prompt tests, went into the weird services menu thing to stop/start BT services (I tried basically everything that's out there), but it was your advice that worked! I only left the machine off + unplugged for 5 minutes bc it's 2:30am rn and I was about to give up for the night anyway lol. But it worked!

Thank you sooooo so so much!

1 Message

June 6th, 2022 04:00

Excellente !  Wonderful.  Solved problem on my Acer tower (with Dell keyboard) upgraded to Win11.  Thank you Spluck.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 6th, 2022 04:00

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private/direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

23 Posts

August 14th, 2022 06:00

I was on Win 10 when I wrote that Bluetooth post back in January.  Still running Win 10 and still consistently running into Bluetooth issues.  When the system finally gives up the ghost, I'm going with Linux or Ubuntu. Sick to death of Windows poor performance and insane intrusiveness.

23 Posts

August 14th, 2022 06:00

So glad to know that my post was helpful.  I went through all the same stuff as you before I found a fix that worked for me. Can't tell you how many times I've reinstalled Win 10 over this foolishness. Important to know that the fix is not permanent; at least not for me. Don't know the root cause of the issue but every few months my Bluetooth disappears again.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 14th, 2022 08:00

Yall might want to check that the Bluetooth device (and/or the combo Bluetooth/WiFi card) is NOT powering-down due to Power-Management. 

Also, try not letting the computer sleep for a while. See if that helps with the stability of the device.

68 Posts

August 15th, 2022 07:00

As the owner of 8-10 laptops/desktops over the last few years, this is a common problem with Windows 10 and 11. It will happen if you have a crappy WIFI card, or may be caused by a cumulative update on Windows 10. I have also seen the issue on Windows 11. 

Sometimes, the Bluetooth ON/OFF button will disappear all of a sudden. You have to reboot to get it back. Sometimes I had to reboot several times.

Microsoft probably knows of the issue but it may take several cumulative updates to fix. Had the problem for 1.5 years on one laptop with Windows 10 before they fixed the issue.

You can try reinstalling the Bluetooth driver, or uninstalling it and rebooting, or uninstall the WIFI card and reboot but in my experience, it never fixed the issue.

Now you know why I just bought a 2020 Macbook Air M1. They are cheap now, under $900. Goodbye to overheating Intel laptops with horrible battery life and Windows cumulative updates once a week that take 1.5 hours to download and install. Goodbye to Bluetooth issues and corrupted display drivers.

I am typing on a Dell XPS 13 9650 I bought in 2017 and have been fighting overheating issues on the 8th gen Intel since Day 1. It's out of warrantee so I cut a hole in the bottom cover and have added heatsinks to the CPU runners and done the VRM mod, but still hits 90-100C once an hour for a couple of seconds. It happens when the laptop is trickle charging.

Can't wait to receive my Macbook Air. It doesn't even have a fan! 15-18 hr battery life.

1 Message

January 1st, 2023 10:00

Funny I landed here exactly a year later...

First some context (in case it's helpful): I upgraded to Win 11 two weeks ago and my laptop had been behaving normally since the upgrade. Then, the other night I stepped away for a break and returned to find it somehow self-crashed, judging by the resultant "blue screen". Upon restarting, I first noticed my BT mouse no longer working (showing paired but no "Connect" button offered), then I realized the whole BT Icon is missing from the Pop-up Box after clicking the "Wifi-Speaker-Battery" icon on the lower right of the task bar. Tried Windows' own troubleshooter to no avail ("Device not found...", "Need External Adapter...", and such...)

So a Google search led me here and I was going to apply Spluck's magic above, but was unable to find a USB 3.0 Controller to uninstall. So I simply uninstalled the "unknown" one under the USB Controllers (while expanded out). Lo and behold, as soon as it was uninstalled, the good-old "Bluetooth" instantly re-appeared in the main list above, along with all my paired devices shown in its drop-down list. After restarting my laptop, everything worked fine again.

My uneducated guess is that Win 11 was trying to update something in the background while I was away, but somehow created a conflict that led to the abovesaid crash, which messed up the BT driver in the process.

1 Message

January 3rd, 2023 06:00

Thank you!! After going round in circles after my Bluetooth devices randomly disappeared your advice has fixed the issue!

23 Posts

January 3rd, 2023 17:00

Very glad to know that it helped you.  Happy New Year!

1 Message

January 6th, 2023 02:00

Still running Windows 10 on an 7390 (solo, not 2-in-1) with identical Wifi and identical symptoms (bluetooth setting disappeared, functionality lost). Rebooting, disabling Bluetooth in the BIOS, boot to Windows and then going back to the BIOS and reenabling Bluetooth helped in that case.

To my knowledge, you cannot replace the Killer wifi with another card as it is soldered to the mainboard.

No Events found!