Highlighted
1 Copper

Won't Connect With Bose Headphones via Bluetooth

My Bose QC 35 headphones work fine with other devices but not my Dell XPS 9350 laptop. When I go to "Bluetooth and Other Device Settings" - I can see my Bose headphones but I'm not able to either connect to them or remove them. When I go to manage devices, I can click remove my headphones but they don't get removed. I've tried updating all my drivers, my Bose firmware, etc., but no luck.

Any help appreciated!

25 Replies
Highlighted
6 Thallium

Re: Won't Connect With Bose Headphones via Bluetooth

Hi Stuart505,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as you expected.

Since this model was not tested specifically with the Bose QC 35 headphones, they would not be supported by Dell.

Have you run a systems diagnostics yet?  If not, please run Dell SupportAssist to check for a hardware issue on your computer.  Make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.  If there are none, have you tried using a bluetooth mouse, speaker, keyboard?  Are they able to connect?

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Bluetooth Troubleshooting and Usage Guide

How to Troubleshoot Audio or Sound Playback Issues

Fix Bluetooth problems in Windows 10

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call.

Highlighted
5 Rhenium

That Bose headset will pair with multiple devices and connects automatically when powered on.  You may show two instances of the headset but only one will work.  When it tells you its status, what does it say about power level and what it is connected to?

Have you tried holding the power slider all the way to the right long enough to get it to reset.  You could then start over.

1 Copper

I have the same problem with my Bose Quiet Comfort 35, that was why I was in this forum. After reading all the suggestions, I tried doing the one suggested to Saltgrass and it worked! My last resort was to return the cancelling noise headphone to Bose in spite of wanting it for a very long time. I held the power all the way to the right enough to get it to reset. Voila! It finally saw my desktop and connected to it via Bluetooth. Thank you so much! It was really a big help for a student like me.
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have also experience the same problem. But it's rare. What I observe on this issue is there must be an issue on the Bluetooth version may be both the devices are having different types of Bluetooth connectivity configuration. then I tried connecting Steelseries Arctis 9x so smoothly got connected. Maybe this brand is not so expensive but it is good quality headphones.

Highlighted

@Stuart505 wrote:

My Bose QC 35 headphones work fine with other devices but not my Dell XPS 9350 laptop. When I go to "Bluetooth and Other Device Settings" - I can see my Bose headphones but I'm not able to either connect to them or remove them. When I go to manage devices, I can click remove my headphones but they don't get removed. I've tried updating all my drivers, my Bose firmware, etc., but no luck.

Any help appreciated!

@Stuart505 have you tried clearing the paired devices from the headphone end rather than the laptop as per the following link - https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/QC35-II-can-not-connect-to-windows-10-bluetooth/m-p...

They recommend the following

To clear the pairing list:

• Turn the headset on
  • Slide and hold the power switch to the right to the Bluetooth symbol for 10 seconds or until you hear "Bluetooth device list cleared"

Once done, please work through their recommend steps for pairing the headphones as per this article - https://community.bose.com/t5/Headphones-Archive/Computer-Related-Informational-Post/m-p/121144

I hope this helps.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted
1 Copper

I appreciate your help - thank you for responding. Unfortunately clearing the headphones did not work - I had seen that in other threads and tried that. It seems Apple built a product (my iPhone - an old one at that) that has no trouble connecting with Bose headphones, but Dell failed to build a product that could do that, and you can try a bunch of hail mary attempts as a work around, but in my case none of those work, and when I looked into Dell fixing it for me, the least expensive option is $139. I've spent hours on this issue with no luck. This experience just as made me want to buy a laptop from a company that has better compatibility with bluetooth devices. 

Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Saying you cannot remove a Bluetooth device does not make sense.  But if you really can't, then uninstall your Bluetooth radio in the Bluetooth section of the Device Manager.  It should remove the devices already paired and let you start over.  In Device Manager, make sure and set the view to show hidden devices, there may be versions showing greyed out you could also uninstall.  If you still cannot remove the current listing, uninstall the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth adapters.

The Intel Bluetooth may reinstall by itself or you can have a driver ready to reinstall but do this offline so some driver doesn't sneak in from the Internet.  I just replaced my Wi-Fi card and am currently reinstalling the QC35.

I cleared the headset and got that message after holding the button to the right for about 10 seconds.  I was then able to select the device from the list and re-pair/connect normally.

5 Rhenium

I just went through the cannot remove the device situation you seem to have.  I did go into the Device Manager and remove the Headphones but I noticed some other greyed out devices.  I removed them but I cannot guarantee you removing them might help.  There was a second RFCOMM device along with a couple of QC35 Avrcp transports and even a Qualcomm Bluetooth device which probably came from a Killer Wi-Fi adaptor I am running on this system.

Once I remove the extra devices, the QC 35 was gone from the Bluetooth devices and I was able to reconnect.

Hi Stuart, 

Thanks for getting back me. It's not a case of Dell failing to build a product that works, there are 3 separate components here, the wireless/bluetooth combo card, Windows, and the headphones themself that could be causing this and none of them are made by Dell. 

From my tech support experience, 95% of bluetooth issues are configuration based, i.e not seeing devices or syncing properly.

If this setup is not working for you, I would like to help figure out at what point the failure is occurring.

1. Did you try the steps in the second article from Bose guiding you through the steps for pairing the headphones with Windows 10 systems?
2. If you did, at what point of the process does it fail?
3. Have you had the headphones successfully pair with the laptop previously via bluetooth?
4. Do you have any other bluetooth devices that successfully pair with the laptop?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro