Talisman39
1 Copper

XPS 13 2-in-1 (9365): No auto tablet mode, no rotation lock control after 1803 update

Just got my first Dell 6 or 7 weeks ago, XPS 13 2-in-1 (9365). Have generally been liking it and have been impressed how it is to draw on compared to my first gen Surface Book. However, since the Windows 10 update 1803, two problems have come up:

- The XPS won't go into tablet mode until flipped around 360 degrees (so the two halves are closed together, but "backwards"). As soon as I lift the LCD up it pops back out of tablet mode. It didn't use to do that.

- Rotation lock button is missing in the Action Center.

A few days ago Dell pushed a BIOS update, but that didn't change anything. I've also run checks for latest drivers, and 5 were updated, but nothing fixed the issue. I also tried disabling/re-enabling, and removing/reinstalling the Intel Integrated Sensor driver, which some had mentioned related to the rotation lock issue. No better. I found the Intel Integrated Sensor driver update on Dell's site, dated April 18, 2018 (http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=gmj0w), and installed it, but that also didn't fix the problem. When I look in Device Manager, that driver still appears to be dated April 2017.

In my settings, tablet mode is set to activate automatically without asking me, FYI. Toggling the various settings there doesn't help.

Am considering resetting the machine to see if that fixes it. Any other suggestions before that somewhat drastic step?

I moved away from the Surface Book due to its reliability issues, can't say this glitch instills me with confidence in Dell...

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Re: XPS 13 2-in-1 (9365): No auto tablet mode, no rotation lock control after 1803 update

It does not appear the 1803 upgrade has affected my system.  At around 180 degrees of opening the screen is allowed to rotate and the Rotation lock is still visible.

As far as I know, the last Bios update was released in February and I have also been running that without problems.  The rotation lock in the notifications should be visible and mine changes to show OFF when I rotate the lid beyond 180 degrees.  You can add or remove those notification tiles in Settings, maybe you could add it if you don't currently see it. (Settings-System-Notifications & actions)

Have you checked the security of the screws on the bottom cover?  Has there been any damage around the hinges?

Does the Keyboard lock out just past 180 degrees or does it stay active until almost in tablet mode?

Are you seeing any entries in the Event Viewer after you attempt to change the system to a 2-in-1 configuration?

As far as drivers, there are probably a combination necessary for this to work.  Chipset, along with the sensors and others may need to be present. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Talisman39
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 2-in-1 (9365): No auto tablet mode, no rotation lock control after 1803 update

Thanks @Saltgrass. To your questions:

• I don't see Rotation Lock as a button option in my Quick Actions master list, as I should be (and so far as I know, it used to be there)
  • No physical damage to hinges or screws. I bought this machine from the Microsoft store, so I'm confident it's brand new
  • Keyboard lockout doesn't kick in until tablet mode finally does also, at about 358 degree mark (give or take). And vice versa for coming back out of tablet mode and keyboard enabling again.
  • I'm not sure TBH how to check entries in the Entry Log. When I looked at it, there weren't any obvious entries appearing even when the machine did enter tablet mode. But I may not have been looking in the right place.
0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

I will try to check my system to see if I can find any solution.  But until then, once your system switches, does the screen rotate while in tablet mode?

I have a feeling the switch to control lid position is some type of mechanical or magnetic sensor but only guessing. 

If it is still in warranty with the Microsoft store, I would really think about bringing them back into the situation, the system may be defective.

You might also get the Dell Phone support involved if the Microsoft warranty has expired.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Talisman39
1 Copper

Thanks again @Saltgrass

I tried the regedit fix described here http://www.surfacetablethelp.com/2017/01/auto-rotation-lock-option-missinglost-after-windows-10-anni... to restore the Rotation Lock button. That did work, however, auto-rotation is not working regardless of the button state when I'm in tablet mode (folded all the way around).

I'm 99% sure this is a driver issue - seems unlikely both the rotation and tablet mode sensors would have failed simultaneously with the installation of the new OS version.

I tried doing Refresh This PC, but that didn't fix anything. Drivers all appear to be up to date, and I manually downloaded and installed the latest Intel Sensor driver to be double sure.

Guess I'm going to have to be exchanging it under warranty (too late for a store return unfortunately).

0 Kudos

Re: XPS 13 2-in-1 (9365): No auto tablet mode, no rotation l

I am having the same issues described here. It's not a sensor issue, I've downloaded the sensor tools from Microsoft and the tests recognize the orientation changing. Not sure if that indicates the driver but there are so many forum posts here that are experiencing the SAME issue for a year now and not one fix from Dell. 

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

The OP stated his system did not switch until the lid was opened all the way to tablet mode.  There is some type of switch which should activate when the system goes beyond 180 degrees. 

What is your situation regarding these type of operations?

0 Kudos
ale_kc
1 Copper

same issue. Have you found the solution?

@Saltgrass wrote:

The OP stated his system did not switch until the lid was opened all the way to tablet mode.  There is some type of switch which should activate when the system goes beyond 180 degrees. 

What is your situation regarding these type of operations?

abogada
1 Copper

I have the same issue.  It worked fine until recently.  Has anyone had success with a fix? 

0 Kudos