Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 7th, 2020 17:00

XPS 13 7390 2-in-1, Bluetooth Airturn Duo BT-106 idle lag

Hello,

I have an XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 that I recently purchased.

I have a bluetooth device (Airturn Duo BT-106, and yes I've spoken to them about it keep reading!) that I use to trigger page turns for sheet music. I've used this device for years on several devices, and have had no problems. 

Now, when paired with my XPS, it seems to 'lose connection' (although the lights on the device indicate it's still literally connected) if it's idle for more than 10 seconds, and takes 6 or 7 seconds to register the input when pressed, which is totally unacceptable when I need to read the next page of music!

After intense googling, I thought it might be in the power management settings of device manager, so I altered the registry to allow me access to those settings (as Microsoft seems to want to phase them out), but even after disabling "let Windows turn off this device to save power" for every single HID (in build 2004 Microsoft moved this setting from the bluetooth devices directly to their HID equivalents for who knows what reason), the lagging still persisted. 

Two other theories I've read are that 1) it's simply a feature of build 2004 that I can't change anymore (which seems dumb and awful) or that 2) it's part of the Bluetooth 4.0 and up protocol (my device is 5.1) that it disconnects between inputs and waits to register them again.

Both of these ideas seem a bit sketchy to me, and either way, I have other windows 10 devices (build 2004) that the device works fine with.

I have noticed that the volume and playback buttons on my bluetooth Sennheiser headphones have a similar lag if the headphones aren't currently playing any audio and I haven't touched a button in a little while (although the lag is shorter than the pedal).

Is there some Dell power setting that is causing this lag? Or any other ideas?

Kind regards,

Harry

• 

25.1K Posts

September 7th, 2020 17:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

Workaround found by hajaco on September 10 =

I installed a Bluetooth logger to see if there were any noticable things showing up. With the application open, the problem goes away. I assume the app is pinging the bluetooth card at regular intervals, preventing it from going into an idle state. Obviously it's not ideal to have the logger open all the time whenever I need to use the pedal, but it's a great workaround. When I close the app, the problem comes back. This indicates to me it is indeed some sort of power setting or else hard coded into the Bluetooth protocol.

No Events found!