andyxl987
1 Copper

XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 microSD card stuck

I tried inserting a microSD card and the insertion appears to have missed the slot loading device entirely and upon trying to remove it with tweezers, it's now stuck several millimetres within the machine, same issue as https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS13-7390-2-in-1-Bad-Micro-SD-card-slot-design/td-p/7420613.

To reiterate the points in that thread, this is an absolutely horrendous design. Never in my history of consumer electronics have I ever had something like this happen.

Now, to resolve this, do I have to submit an RMA request? How long will turnaround take?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Re: XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 microSD card stuck

Can you get us a picture of the situation?  You inserted the card with the connectors down?

On my 9365 the Power button and SD slot are next to each other.  It is had to tell, if a card is inserted, which one is the power button..

I would have thought those SD slots were a fairly standard design but it sounds like something is out of alignment..

When you try to pull the card out, make sure and wiggle it from front to back of the system, gently..  But I suppose, just like the other thread, you cannot just push it a little farther in and let it go so it pops out..

1 Copper

Thanks for your reply Saltgrass, I'm currently organizing the situation with Dell Support via PM. Essentially there's a bit of a build quality defect with my unit, where the microSD spring loading mechanism lies too low in the chassis. When I inserted the card, I missed the enclosure entirely, inserting the card between the top of it and the chassis.

I had a feeling when inserting the card it's going to get stuck, but given how small everything is and that this is a £2,000 machine I mistakenly thought that I just need to push the card further to trigger the ejection mechanism, oops. In my error, I then tried removing the card with some sewing needles but pushed it in further.

Dell are organizing for an engineer to do a motherboard replacement once I've created backups and restored the system to factory defaults. Can't fault support here, A+ service. Although all system diagnostics pass fine, support advise for a motherboard replacement in case there's damage to the microSD unit.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

I can't really suggest anything since your system is still in warranty, but it does look like you could remove the bottom cover and get access to the card so you could remove it.

If they replace the motherboard, will something be different from your current situation, other than the card being removed?  

But these are things you, as a new owner, should not have to worry about..  Maybe they will put some type of shim to change the slots alignment.

1 Copper

I don't have a torx t5 screwdriver and am not sure the top panel would be accessible anyway, the microSD card is stuck underneath the keyboard section. I agree that a motherboard replacement may not be necessary, but I agree with supports recommendation that I may have caused damage to the microSD reader and if I require an engineer to open the unit anyway, then may as well accept the under warranty motherboard replacement. And if I'm really lucky, the new one won't have any coil whine while the AC is plugged in, but having had earlier XPS revisions in the past I doubt I'll be so lucky.

0 Kudos
andyxl987
1 Copper

Just thought I'd update my as yet unresolved story. A technician finally arrived today after cancellations on 31st December and a M.I.A. appointment on 10th January. My laptop is now in a worse state than before. The technician decided to boot the laptop using AC power without the battery attached after fitting the new motherboard and powered it on. They missed the opportunity to enter the service tag (apparently the keyboard was unresponsive) and there's only one chance to enter a value. So the new motherboard has been marked as D.O.A. and another replacement must be made.

After this, the battery was put in, the bottom of the panel, most of the screws made their way back into the case, one is missing, maybe more inside. The system powers on with the fans running at full blast (maybe because of the missing service tag) but the internal alignment is probably also off. The trackpad now extrudes from the case at the bottom, there's a flex on the palm wrests and .. I'm not happy.

0 Kudos
andyxl987
1 Copper

I can only assume that the technician sent out has not worked with these new XPS 13 models. Look what I found in the BIOS:

IMG_20200113_193717.jpg

Still, this is the least of my worries. The poor reassembly of the machine, missing screw(s) and having to take more time off work for another motherboard replacement. What's going on DELL? I've contacted support for a replacement unit at this point but that has been refused.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Saltgrass
4 Ruthenium

Those screws are very small and hard to see if on the floor or under something.  Hopefully, when you shake the system you do not hear something rattling around..

Did you get a chance to look at the motherboard and the SD reader before they removed the motherboard?  Could it had been removed without removing the motherboard?

After I had a system worked on many years ago, I decided I would do anything I could to get them from replacing a motherboard...  Just the one experience, another situation was necessary and worked out fine.

Did they leave any media with you or instructions regarding the Service Tag?