Start a Conversation

Unsolved

G

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

February 27th, 2020 09:00

XPS 13 7390, Keyboard Layout

Hi! I'd like to share some feedback regarding keyboard layout for xps 7390. It's really hard to use arrows as they are too small and to close to PgUp and PgDn buttons. I constantly press wrong button. It's much more comfort solution to have PgUp = Fn+Up, PgDn = Fn+Down, Home = Fn+Left, End = Fn+Right. And place Power/Finger Scan button on place of Home and End button in the top so the most right buttons will be Insert and Delete.

1 Rookie

• 

18 Posts

Ah, one more thing. Fn Lock. There is no way to get if it's enabled or not. It would be awesome to have the same highlight like on caps lock but on Fn button if it's enabled.

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

Hi, gdreyv.
Thank you for posting and for sending the service tag information via private message. We have opened a case and will be responding to you privately.
Geoffrey

4 Operator

• 

159 Posts

March 1st, 2020 04:00

Hello, gdreyv.

Let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with and I'll be happy to do so. 

Geoffrey

1 Message

March 14th, 2020 04:00

Same experience for me. I am using it for software development. The positon of the Home, Insert, PgUp and PgDn keys is really a pain. The keybard layout of the 2016 edition was much smarter.

5 Posts

March 30th, 2020 01:00

I have the same issue, I keep pressing the "pg up" / "pg dn" buttons by accident. You can use AutoHotKey or any similar tool to disable these two buttons if you want.

@Dell-Geoffrey R Would it be possible to have a BIOS update where the "fn" button exposes key pressed with a key code so that tools such as AutoHotKey can be used to map "fn + up" to "pg up" and "fn + down" to "pg dn" etc?

6 Posts

April 27th, 2020 12:00

@Dell-Geoffrey R I'm using my XPS 13 3790 2-in-1 for development as well, and it would be very convenient to have shortcuts Fn+Up (for Page Up), Fn+Down (for Page Down), Fn+Left (for Home), Fn+Right (for End). Would Dell consider delivering it in the next BIOS upgrade. Please, let me know if you need more input from me.

Thank you!

1 Message

October 2nd, 2020 14:00

Hi. I don't see a solution posted. Is there a solution as I am having the same issue. Thank you

6 Posts

October 4th, 2020 02:00

Hi, my problem also wasn't solved. There are no replies from Dell site, there are no announcements, there are no patches...

5 Posts

October 5th, 2020 01:00

Unfortunately I have not heard anything from the development team, the best solution would be for them to implement the ability to have shortcuts for Fn+Up (for Page Up), Fn+Down (for Page Down), Fn+Left (for Home), Fn+Right (for End) that they have on some other models.

Another solution would be to expose keypresses on the Fn button to the OS, this way we could use 3rd party tools to customize button behavior as we like but this is less likely to ever happen.

1 Message

March 12th, 2021 00:00

Agreed. Whoever decided to squeeze page up and page down below the arrow keys needs to have a harsh speaking-to. Along with everyone who green-lighted the idea.

Pity as there is nothing else about it I don't like, but after more than a year, I still can't get used to it, probably because I go from 101 keyboards on desktops to the laptop several times a day.

I only do software development and this keyboard is making me look for a new laptop.

No Events found!