Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 12th, 2020 08:00

XPS 13 7390 Mic Problems

Hello everyone!

Got quite a problem here.  I have a brand new XPS 13 7390 with Windows 10 (only about 3 months old) and I've run into a rather frustrating issue with audio.  Working from home, I am on Skype for Business and MS Teams calls all the time, often switching from one to the other back-to-back.  I have tried 3 different headsets now (Plantronics Backbeat FIT 305 - Bluetooth, Bose SoundSport - wired, and Solo Beats - wired) with the same results.  The Bose and Solo headsets are a few years old but the Plantronics is also only about 3 months old.

Randomly, the mic on each of these headsets will just stop working.  Usually this happens after a few calls and sometimes in the middle of a call.  I can hear the others on the call but they can't hear me.  If my laptop camera is on, they see me talking but no sound.  For the wired headsets, I just reseat the jack.  For the Bluetooth one, I have to power cycle it.  (Still shows to be paired and connected.)  In anticipation of a problem, I have reseated the jack or power cycled my Bluetooth headset before a call and do an audio check in either Teams or Skype before the call, but I still run into audio problems.

At this point, I'm fairly sure it's not a headset issue (unless I'm unlucky enough to have 3 bad ones altogether.)  I have run Windows Updates, I have run Dell Command Updates, I have run Dell SupportAssist, I have run the Dell diagnostics online, and I am current on drivers/updates and no issues were found.  I don't know what else to do or try.  I just know I can't be swapping headsets or (un)plugging jacks or power cycling headsets all day anymore.  Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you kindly!

1 Message

February 7th, 2021 17:00

Thank you. Problem solved!!

February 8th, 2021 19:00

turning off the voice settings in the Waves MaxxAudio Pro did not solve the problem in my case. I still have very bad sound coming out from the Zoom recording. I hardly hear my self. But when having Zoom meeting the sound is good (but not recording at this time). Any idea?

is this how it should be turned off? I think i did right, but no change.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/146B29S2TCtZk3SUHgdRxd1eDgjgoygUr/view?usp=sharing 

11 Posts

February 8th, 2021 20:00

That looks right.

I'm only guessing, but maybe try  removing the app.

I have had a lot of trouble with this machine, it crashes all the time. I had little help from Dell.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2021 12:00

I thought I am hallucinating... bought my xps 13 in April 2020 and had the problem ever since. In january 2021 i got my fourth (!!!) mainboard and my microphone problem is still not solved. there were a couple of different problems in between but that's the one thing i couldn't figure out. the MaxxAudioPro setting does not work for me as well. i actually do all my zoom / ms teams / webex etc. calls on my old (7-8 year old) zenbook... It's unbelievable how many hours I spent on updates (windows, bios, dell custom software etc.), waiting for new hardware, backupping my system again, reinstalling os et

mainboard number 3 was installed with the wrong service tag so they had to replace it again... definitely the last time I bought a dell! thanks for the great community here that helped to solve a couple of problems though.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2021 13:00

So what is your solution? Are you still trying to return it to dell? I won't accept another hardware exchange, my  patience is at the end...

11 Posts

February 23rd, 2021 13:00

I hear you. So many hours spent on this, including 12 hours with tech support.

My machine continues to have other issues too that I have not solved. I can not plug and play anything, the power cord or devices without my laptop freezing within an hour.

Best of luck for the future...

1 Message

March 1st, 2021 00:00

I too have the same problem. With dell XPS 13, problems are always there, I have to literally fight with support on annoying fan noise on brand new laptop. Dell eventually agreed to replace the unit. But the new one also has exact same noise issue in 3 months.I resigned to the fact and kept quite

Recently audio doesn't work intermittently. Inspire of buy a top level support am afraid to contact them. They take lot of time, weeks and weeks; they know how to dodge the question and keep you waiting on SLA. 

2 Posts

April 8th, 2021 08:00

I have a new Latitude 3301 - same issue and the Maxx Waves pro suggestion worked! lets hope it says that way.

April 17th, 2021 13:00

Thank you so much! It helped

1 Message

April 27th, 2021 11:00

1 million thanks for solving my problem!

1 Message

May 2nd, 2021 06:00

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I'm a student and uses Zoom and I also tried 3 different headphones with the same result, the mic doesn't work. I thought it was the headphone problem at first but it was this app. Now it works. THANK YOU!!! 

No Events found!