Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

4 Posts

October 6th, 2020 15:00

XPS 13 7390 Secure Boot From SD Card

I am attempting to boot a CloudReady image via the SD Card, but even with the "Secure Boot" selected on the bios, I am unable to see it as a boot option.

On my old XPS laptop, if I enable the "Secure Boot" on the SD Card it DOES allow me to see the boot option. 

Does anyone else have this issue? I can't even boot a Windows installer from SD.

Thanks

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 6th, 2020 19:00

I don't know as I've never tried.

A USB-based flash-drive would likely be easier.

If it must be something internal/hidden ... an internal drive would be better. You might even get-by with splitting an existing drive into 2 partitions.

October 7th, 2020 05:00

SD card is much more flush with the laptop and CloudReady does not allow for dual boot. Hoping Dell will see this and fix the bug. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 7th, 2020 21:00

Secure-Boot is something completely separate and different from a Secure-Digital Card.

Not sure I was suggesting a dual-boot. Wouldn't you just use F12 to boot that other HDD partition (or drive) when needed ?

Also ... just saw this in the BIOS of a new Intel Tiger-Lake based system ...

There was a BIOS option specifically to allow booting from a SD-Card in the SD-Card slot..

October 8th, 2020 06:00

Booting two different OS from a single HD is dual-boot in my mind, sorry for the confusion. 

The only way I am able to boot from an SD card on other Dell systems is to enable "Secure Boot from SD". Which once enabled, allows the user to boot an OS thats loaded on the SD card. 

Unfortunately I do not believe XPS 13 7390 has this functionality even if the UI exists.

November 8th, 2020 08:00

No one is responding, so I'll just ask this. 

What does this option do?

PXL_20201108_162512186.jpg

1 Message

April 6th, 2021 01:00

It has past a long time since the last entry but I have found a solution (at least on my PC).

You have to deactivate RST inside your BIOS and choose AHCI.

In that case your ordinary SSD will get lost but this time the SD Card will appear.

Just in case initialy take a full backup of your windows version. (I have not faced any problem but being on the safe side is important).

After restart and F12 the booting will take a little bit till you will see all your booting medias.

You may also find additional information here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/rst/

No Events found!