Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

R

7 Posts

December 18th, 2020 07:00

XPS 13 7390 fails to boot - orange light when I press power

My XPS 13 2-in-1 from mid 2020 is failing to power up. It was suspended overnight with about a half full battery. The behavior I see is this:

The light on the front is dark, regardless of whether the power cable is plugged in or not. 

The keyboard backlight is on when the power cable is plugged in and off otherwise. F5 doesn't control it. 

When I press the power button, the front light is faint orange. It's not as bright as normal, and stays lit for as long as I hold the power button. If the power cable is in, it comes on instantly. Otherwise there's a half second delay. The keyboard backlight comes on too when I hold the button (if the power cable is unplugged). 

Holding the power button down for 30 seconds has no effect.

I couldn't find any similar issues. Any guesses what's going on? 

• 

16.7K Posts

rlewis1988,

Have you allowed the system to charge for a couple of hrs to see if it will power back on? 

• 

25.1K Posts

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

• 

16.7K Posts

rlewis1988,

Please allow us some time to review this issue and reply back to you.

• 

16.7K Posts

rlewis1988,

To perform a hard reset, follow these steps:

1. Remove any external peripherals connected to the laptop. (Including any docking station)
2. Remove the battery if it is a customer replaceable unit (CRU) and then unplug the power cord from the laptop.
3. Press the Power button for 15 seconds to drain any residual power from the motherboard.
4. Bypass power strips, surge protectors or any other device between AC adapter power cord and the wall outlet.
5. Verify that the outlet being used can power another device such as a lamp and then plug the AC adapter into it.
6. Insert the battery if it was removed and then connect the AC adapter to the laptop.
7. Press the power button to test whether the system will power on.

• 

16.7K Posts

December 18th, 2020 08:00

rlewis1988,

We will need to replace the motherboard on the computer. Your warranty is collect and return.  Meaning it will need to be sent to the depot for repairs.  In a private message send me your name, address, city, state, country, country code/zip code, email address, and phone number.

Thanks. Nothing has changed since the first post. The orange light comes on exactly when I hold down the power button and goes off when I release it. No other status or warning lights, no sounds. Holding the M key doesn't change the behavior at all. 

I tried the reset procedure (disconnecting and reconnecting the battery) and nothing has changed.

I charged it for about 45 minutes before making this post, so I don't think that's the issue either. 

• 

16.7K Posts

rlewis1988,

Ok, thank you.  We will need to go through more steps to determine the issue. 

When the power button is pressed are there any signs of power? Check for the below signs of before answering.
• Anything on screen
• Illuminated Power LED (even if temporary)
• Illuminated status/diagnostic LEDs
• Beep codes or other sounds

M-BIST is the built-in system board's self-test diagnostics tool that improves diagnostic accuracy of system board embedded controller (EC) failures. M-BIST must be manually initiated before POST and can be initiated on a dead system.

To perform M-BIST, follow these steps:

1. Leave the AC adapter plugged into the system.
2. Hold down the M key on the keyboard and press the Power Button at the same time.
3. Look at the battery LED to see if it lights up amber while both keys are held.

Dell-Jesse L

2 Posts

December 6th, 2021 14:00

My laptop is doing exactly the same as rlewis1988. Mine is a dell xps 13 2-in-1 laptop from mid 2020. I’ve followed all instructions in this thread (although I cannot remove my battery). The monitor and backlit keyboard turn on for 5 seconds and then black screens. M-BIST doesn’t load. 

E41BDA9D-E27A-4001-BDDA-7841E1677E54.jpeg

December 8th, 2021 13:00

The "solution" for me was, indeed, to have someone replace the motherboard. Since everything is soldered together this included a new hard drive.

3 Posts

December 12th, 2021 21:00

Same exact symptoms, similar date of the model, and happened 4 months out of warranty.  Is there a root cause of what happened to the mother board?

I have been a loyal dell customer for years but will likely never shop dell again.

3 Posts

June 13th, 2022 17:00

Ouch, yeah for me it was only $300 dollars to repair but having to pay for a repair on a 1-year old laptop was ridiculous.  I'm done with Dell as well.

1 Message

June 13th, 2022 17:00

I just had the same issue.  Computer "born" in 12/2019.  Used it yesterday and everything was fine.  Just this morning, went to turn it on and poof.  I get no keyboard backlight at all though and just one of the fans spins at 100% when the light is on.

There are some other weird aspects (like the top left USB port doesn't do anything, but the top right USB port instantly kicks it into the light/fan mode).  I never knew until this happened today that Dell soldiered a hard drive to the motherboard.  Now as I understand it, I've lost all my data (short of paying 5k to a professional data recovery company).

I was religiously supportive of the Latitude line until today. But now that I've stared looking for it, I've seen people reporting this same problem with no solution.  I think that will end up being my last Dell.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 13th, 2022 18:00

hello, we are here to help you with this problem. Please follow and send a direct message @DellCares for assistance. I look forward to your message!

• 

25.1K Posts

June 13th, 2022 18:00

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can follow @dellcares and start a private/direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

No Events found!