Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 13th, 2019 07:00

XPS 13 7390 shourcut key Fn+h not work

Hello to everybody,

i have buy two day ago this notebook. I have read the manual and sinilarly to my old inspiron 7373 there is the possibility to switch from HD activity using the key combination FN+H, but this not work for me (remain in the charge battery activity and not swith). I remember that this function work well in my inspiron.

There is some trik for solve this issue? There is some software to install for fix this situation ?

Thanks is advance for the support

Ema

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 18th, 2019 17:00

Hi,

Yes, it's correct that the hard drive activity light is only for systems with a hard drive. Your system was shipped with an SSD.

Also, the LED on the front of your system is only for the power and battery-status light and it cannot be switched to show the HDD activity. While this was available on your Inspiron 7373, it is not available for the XPS 7390.

You can view the same in the Manual.

• 

25.1K Posts

October 13th, 2019 11:00

Hi Mary,

Good day!

Thanks for reaching out to Dell Community Forum.

Looks like the multi-media functionality might be disabled on your system. You could enable the same by pressing Fn + Esc. Once done, try hitting the Fn + H key again and let us know if the issue persists. You can even check the system manual for additional instructions. Here's the link:

https://dell.to/33mJLlE

- Jerrin

17 Posts

October 14th, 2019 15:00

Thanks at all for the reply,

unfortunately still not work. I have try many time the sequence FN+ESC and then FN+H, i have also try to switch the default behaviour from bios, but in both configuration not work, i cannot see the light flash for disk activity.

Any further help is appreciated.

Thanks

• 

25.1K Posts

October 14th, 2019 16:00

I just wanted to know if other multimedia control (combination) works? Also, you could update the latest chipset drivers and see if that helps.

-Sunny R

17 Posts

October 15th, 2019 11:00

All multimedia key combination work without problem, but also olther combination like Fn+B or Fn+ctrl, airplay mode or suspend, and yes i have update all driver, at the moment there is not  update available for my notebook, seems that only Fn+h is the problem

• 

25.1K Posts

October 15th, 2019 13:00

Hi,

The LED indicator located on the front is associated with both the HDD and the Battery indication status. When the AC adapter is connected to the unit, the indicator will feature the following behaviour:

In case you experience any LED light indications when the Adapter is not connected, this would represent only the HDD activity.

- Jerrin

• 

25.1K Posts

October 16th, 2019 03:00

Sturla_78,

Please see the manual here.  The battery status indicator light is located on the left side of the computer:

#4 Battery-charge status button

Press to check the charge remaining in the battery.

#5 Battery-charge status lights (5)

Turns on when the battery-charge status button is pressed. Each light indicates approximately 20% charge.

17 Posts

October 16th, 2019 03:00

Thanks for the explanatio, 

i agree with all your information and agree with documentation, but my problem is the following:

suppose that the notebook is 100% charged (or greater than 11%), unplug the power cable, and try with Fn+h for switch to hdd activity (i have try many times the combination Fn+h), but there in not led activity, the led remain off without fashing (indicating that the behaviour is not switched to hdd activity but remain on power/charge activity). I have also an inspiron 7373, and on this notebook the key combination work as aspected. 

17 Posts

October 16th, 2019 04:00

Sorry but there is a misunderstanding in act:

not talk about status indicator located on left side of notebook, i talk about front status indicator (near mouse pad).

My problem: with Fn+h combination (i have try more times), not switch to HDD activity, the led remain off, not flash (seems that the key combination not work as aspected and the behaviour remain on power/charge activity).

I hope to have clarified the problem.

Thanks  

17 Posts

October 16th, 2019 10:00

Only for information, but there are other owners of xps 7390 that have this issue or i'm the only one ?

Thanks

17 Posts

October 18th, 2019 14:00

Hello to everybody,

i have read this post, i don't known if this restriction is applicable also tyo my nbotebook:

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Inspiron-7573-HDD-activity-light-via-Fn-H/td-p/6203031

is true also for 7390 ? 

Thanks

17 Posts

October 19th, 2019 01:00

Thanks for reply,

let me say that the manual is misleading (or also wrong), because in page 6 when is explained the power light, there isn't info about the "not" presence of hdd activity, and in page 19, in the table of functional key, there is the Fn+H shortcut with relative description.

But is you confirm that this is the situation, unfortunately we have found the trouble.

Thanks again

1 Message

October 19th, 2019 06:00

I am a bit amazed at ineptness of Dell tech writers. I do have the same "problem" with FN+H function not working. And I also got the reply from tech support that SSD drives are not supported. A bit strange since there are laptops that have SSDs, NVMEs and also have working hard drive activity lights. So it is technically possible. And most certainly would be a great feature on 7390s. Laptop is so quiet that often I can't tell if it is frozen or just loading a program and I need to wait. As any PC tinkerer can attest - we almost know how to read "morse" code of HDD light to tell what our computer is doing or not doing.

And second issue - there are NO XPS 13 7390s with HDD option. Both clam-shell and 2-in-1s. They all have "PCIe NVMe x4 Solid State Drive Onboard". From 256GB to 1TB. So correct response from Dell should be "Sorry, we made an error while updating the manual to 7390 model and will correct it. HDD activity light is not supported on any 7390 model." We love you, Dell and want you to be the best! Please take it as a constructive criticism.

17 Posts

October 19th, 2019 08:00

Hello dimakan,

you are all the reasons in the world and i vote you

In this situation i have spent not more time, but in some case the time spent is a lot. I consider Dell a big company that produces beautiful machines also from the aesthetic point of view, two lines were enough to solve the problem.

Obviously this problem (for me) is not so serious, so we look forward and thanks at all.

No Events found!