Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2020 20:00

XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer work

Hi there,

Just updated my BIOS to 1.0.10   this morning. It apparently updates the firmware of the TB3/USB Type-C port. Probably solves some Power Delivery issues. 

Unfortunately, after the update, DisplayPort is no longer working properly over USB Type-C. I have tried four different adapters, and only one works sporadically after the update.

2020-05-20 (3).png2020-05-20 (4).png

I did a search on Reddit and apparently I am not alone.

I am unable to downgrade the BIOS back to 1.0.7 despite having "allow bios downgrade" option enabled in BIOS. Some of the updated firmware do not roll back.

Anyone having these issues too?

20 Posts

June 7th, 2020 00:00

I can confirm that the DA200 adapter (to HDMI) doesn't work anymore either since BIOS 1.0.10 on the XPS 9300. @DELL-Cares 

7 Posts

June 7th, 2020 16:00

Having the same problem. Tried to downgrade to BIOS 1.0.7, but it didn't roll back every payload and so didn't restore functionality to my USB-C-to-HDMI adapter.

To say this is an inconvenience when I am WFH every day is an understatement. I'm amazed Dell are taking so long to acknowledge, let alone fix, the problem. Does anyone have any idea of a workaround, or an ETA for a fix?

18 Posts

June 8th, 2020 11:00

I received the CableMatters USB-C to HDMI adapter today and hooked it up, but as my luck would have it, I received a faulty adapter. Screen flickering and artifacts at any resolution above a 30Hz refresh rate replicated on multiple laptops. However, the XPS 13 *did* recognize it as supporting 60Hz - something that it hasn't done with other adapters I've tried.

In other news, Dell told me via Twitter DM that they're taking this issue to their Product Engineering team and will get back to me in 1-2 days. I'll post here when I get an update.

117 Posts

June 8th, 2020 23:00

@faraday7 You might wish to twist the cable a little if it flickers, or try re-plugging it.

I noticed something strange yesterday. I was reading on some forum that some user mentioned it may be worth setting POST to “Thorough” instead of “Minimal” for better stability with an eGPU. I thought this could perhaps solve the problem, and indeed, I was finally able to get the problematic display adapter to work with my XPS 9300!

My joy was short-lived, however, as after I plugged it back to another laptop and then plugged back to the XPS 9300, it no longer worked again. And this time, it seems to be permanently broken on the XPS 9300 no matter what I do.

26 Posts

June 9th, 2020 10:00

I can confirm that it worked with the BIOS version 1.0.6 csb-c to HDMI perfectly.

after a BIOS update after version 1.0.6 this error occurs.

18 Posts

June 9th, 2020 11:00

Update: Dell is being persistent about having me revert to BIOS 1.0.6 to debug even though folks in this thread have already tried doing that. They're also saying that they can't rely on this community thread as an indication of a BIOS issue due to "differences in scenarios" which is total . Please, if you're experiencing this problem, contact Dell Customer Technical Support directly to make sure your voice is heard - then come back here to rant about it

117 Posts

June 9th, 2020 16:00

@faraday7 maybe you could revert to bios 1.0.6 as they say and do the debugging? Pretend that it works when flashing back to 1.0.6?

I have a video of two XPS 13 side by side with 1.0.6 and 1.0.10 here: https://youtu.be/tOgK5AbL8Eo

You can see the same adapter works on 1.0.6 but not on 1.0.10. might be worth showing them this.

18 Posts

June 9th, 2020 18:00

I reverted to 1.0.6 as they requested, but the issue remained. The system was unable to perform a full rollback, but the BIOS portion was "successful". The Dell Customer Service rep has since asked for screenshots of my BIOS version, OS version/build, and Thunderbolt driver version to forward to their engineers.

... I should've bought a Mac.

117 Posts

June 9th, 2020 19:00

@faraday7 yeah it's really silly and almost as if the engineers don't have spare XPS 9300s lying around to test the issue.

I guess just give them whatever they ask and emphasise that the PD firmware could not be rolled back. I really suspect the PD firmware is screwing with something. It's probably supplying insufficient power to certain adapters such that they no longer work. 

Maybe could you ask them for a way to revert the PD firmware? (You can show them from the BIOS flash program that the PD firmware was not reverted). Then if you manage to rollback the PD firmware, you could then demonstrate that it works and the issue is really with the firmware update.

7 Posts

June 10th, 2020 08:00

@describee What is the "PD firmware"?

I've hit a brick wall with Dell support, as they are advising me to reinstall my operating system to see if that fixes the issue. Talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut!

117 Posts

June 10th, 2020 09:00

@AbbasBThe PD firmware basically governs the power delivery of the device. I believe it is linked to the "Main System TI Port Controller" firmware.

After flashing to 1.0.11, if you revert back to 1.0.7 or earlier, you will notice that the "Main System TI Port Controller" firmware still remains at 1.8.7.39 and does not flash back to 1.6.5.36. Here is a screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/vNZWuva

If Dell can somehow allow us to flash back the "Main System TI Port Controller" firmware to 1.6.5.36, I believe this would solve the problem somewhat. Maybe you could take a screenshot of your BIOS downgrade page and show them that you are unable to flash back to the old BIOS? If they can provide the piece of software to downgrade the "Main System TI Port Controller" back to 1.6.5.36, then it would be easy to demonstrate to them the issue by flashing the firmware back and forth and then taking a video for example.

Yeah I agree reinstalling the OS will probably not work (though I did try that myself as well just to confirm). But I mean, just go along with what they say and kindly inform them that it does not resolve the issue.

Unfortunately I just got my laptop replaced, and my current laptop doesn't yet have a warranty transferred over to it yet, so I am unable to contact Dell directly on this issue.

June 10th, 2020 12:00

Just received my replacement laptop after almost 3 weeks.  It came with 1.0.6, and the adapter works perfectly.

Warning to all:  MS Windows Update will force firmware updates.  It installed 1.0.7 without any consent from me, but thankfully the adapter still works on 1.0.7.  I have since changed the group policy to disable driver updates via MS Windows Update.

Not particularly happy about having the firmware forced upon me.  At least they went in sequential order and did not go straight to 1.0.11 

12 Posts

June 10th, 2020 12:00

Hello all,

Just to confirm that I have the same issue.
I'll try to downgrade BIOS.

So disappointed with this XPS 13.
Have it for 3 weeks and I have already opened 4 support cases...

26 Posts

June 10th, 2020 13:00

I tried a little and got it so that I have BIOS 1.0.6 on the system again and the Embedded Controller on firmware version 1.0.1.
So i can use the right Thunderbolt 3 port again for USB-C to HDMI.
So i can even address a TV again via HDMI cable.

I think that this whole topic started with the BIOS 1.0.7 because the Embedded Controller was fueled with firmware from Dell.
I think it was 1.0.5 EC firmware.

Currently I have all changes from BIOS 1.0.11 in the system regarding the firmware only the primary embedded controller has firmware 1.0.1 so it works on the right side.

but this is not a satisfactory solution for a 2000 € device and i think that a USB-C 3.1 Gen2 port in a portable device has to accept any adapter without restriction.

The system is freshly installed wiht Windows Build 2004. 

Bios 1.0.6Bios 1.0.6EC Firmware 1.0.1 -- 1.0.5EC Firmware 1.0.1 -- 1.0.5

7 Posts

June 10th, 2020 14:00

@describee Yes, you're absolutely right. I downgraded my BIOS back to v1.0.7 but that didn't fix the problem. As you noted, the Main System TI Port Controller 0 and 1 drivers/payloads did not get downgraded to the old version, strongly suggesting they are the cause of the problem. I did a google search for that driver which strongly suggests that it is related to a Texas Instruments USB-C port controller, which makes it even more likely to be the source of the error. 

BIOS Update.png

I have sent Dell Support the above screenshot and explanation and hope they can provide a way to roll back the Main System TI Port Controller 0 and 1 drivers to the 1.6.5.36 version, to see if that fixes the error that came in with the 1.8.7.39 version. I will of course let you all know if I/they find a way to do so.

No Events found!