Highlighted
6 Indium

Re: XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer work

@AbbasB  I agree, but unfortunately I am not in a position to set Dell's priorities or their sense of urgency.  I can only advocate and persuade here, which I am trying to do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@jphughan And we appreciate it! Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Thanks @jphughan ! Even if it cannot be fixed quickly, maybe if they could come up with a way to rollback the full BIOS (including the controller firmware), it would be helpful I guess

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Mine is on BIOS v1.0.7 and is working pretty good. Also, works with my 

Mokin MUC0402 6-in-1 USB-C Adapter
- Works, and appears as "USB Billboard Device"
- Has a HDMI-port (4K@30Hz ?), but I haven't tried-it yet.

For those of you involved/following ... What is the consensus here?

Should I stay on v1.0.7 or upgrade further ?

Problems I'm interesting in curing:
- Strangely out-dated Intel-ME (and previous firmwares not updating it)
- Occasional slow booting (even with Toshiba XG6 SSD ) . 

I need the Mokin (or something like it) to keep working.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I haven't had any problems with USB-C hubs/adapters displaying 4k @ 30Hz or below, but you'll run into problems if you try to do 60Hz.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

@faraday7  Useful data point, but 4K 60 Hz even through hubs/adapters should work as long as the hub/adapter you're using supports receiving a DisplayPort 1.3/HBR3 or better signal from the source system.  That allows enough display bandwidth for 4K 60 Hz even when the USB-C link is set up to also carry USB 3.x data at the same time.  The Dell DA300 supports this, for example.  And the XPS 13 9300 supports DisplayPort 1.4.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I agree, it should work, but from my experience:

Lenovo Ideapad 730S -> USB-C to HDMI 4k @ 60Hz: Works

Lenovo Ideapad 730S -> CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt Dock -> USB-C to HDMI 4k @ 60Hz: Works

Lenovo Ideapad 730S -> CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt Dock -> Active DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 4k @ 60Hz: Works

Dell XPS 13 9300 -> USB-C to HDMI 4k @ 60Hz: Does Not Work

Dell XPS 13 9300 -> CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt Dock -> USB-C to HDMI 4k @ 60Hz: Does Not Work

Dell XPS 13 9300 -> CalDigit TS3 Plus Thunderbolt Dock -> Active DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 4k @ 60Hz: Does Not Work

Here's the best part: I paid over twice as much for the XPS 13 9300 than I did for the Lenovo Ideapad 730S...

Highlighted
2 Bronze

we're all talking about a standard of thunderbolt 3 and usb c 3.1 gen2 and compatible adapters or accessories just don't work on this ultrabook for around 2000 €.

I can only ask Dell to finally do something about it.
I am a customer who is not currently satisfied with the BIOS updates and the firmware for a high-quality product that is currently in the pocket of any other manufacturer.

3 Argentum

@faraday7On the contrary, I have tried certain USB-C to DP1.4 and USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapters that work just fine with the XPS 13 9300, so I think the issue is not with HDMI or DP versions.

I suspect the updated firmware messed up some Power Delivery negotiating mechanism along the way, and certain adapters which do not negotiate power properly with the Dell XPS 13 9300 are unable to work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@Tesla1856Your issue with the failed Intel ME firmware update is really quite strange, given that I had no issues on my first unit as well as the replacement I received recently.

As for the USB hub compatibility, I think it's hard to say... it's a calculated risk, I guess. If you have a spare HDMI adapter lying around, then maybe I would try the upgrade. Otherwise, I would wait. My latest update is that the following adapters are known to work:

- CableMatters USB-C to HDMI 2.0

- CableMatters USB-C to DisplayPort 1.4

- Choetech USB-C to DisplayPort 1.2

0 Kudos