Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2020 20:00

XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer work

Hi there,

Just updated my BIOS to 1.0.10   this morning. It apparently updates the firmware of the TB3/USB Type-C port. Probably solves some Power Delivery issues. 

Unfortunately, after the update, DisplayPort is no longer working properly over USB Type-C. I have tried four different adapters, and only one works sporadically after the update.

2020-05-20 (3).png2020-05-20 (4).png

I did a search on Reddit and apparently I am not alone.

I am unable to downgrade the BIOS back to 1.0.7 despite having "allow bios downgrade" option enabled in BIOS. Some of the updated firmware do not roll back.

Anyone having these issues too?

117 Posts

June 14th, 2020 03:00

@faraday7On the contrary, I have tried certain USB-C to DP1.4 and USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapters that work just fine with the XPS 13 9300, so I think the issue is not with HDMI or DP versions.

I suspect the updated firmware messed up some Power Delivery negotiating mechanism along the way, and certain adapters which do not negotiate power properly with the Dell XPS 13 9300 are unable to work.

26 Posts

June 14th, 2020 09:00

Hi everyone,

I've also really huge problems with external monitors with the WD15 docking station (reported here in German: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9300-mit-WD15-und-2-Monitoren/m-p/7624531#M5586)

Has anyone already the chance to test the XPS with the WD15 and two monitors connected by DP and HDMI?

26 Posts

June 14th, 2020 10:00

Hi @_Shade_,

Thanks for your hints! Yep I've 1.011 installed - could you provide me with some instructions how to do this downgrade?
Also I'm asking myself why it matters if its plugged into the left/right side?

And I made today an interesting observation: I tried a live ubuntu system from an USB-stick and here everything worked out quite well (the 2 monitors with the right resolution / refresh rate were detected. That was quite suprising for me^^)

26 Posts

June 14th, 2020 10:00

hello @jweiss15  welcome to our thread.

Which XPS 13 9300 BIOS do you have installed 1.0.11? If so then try again to get the BIOS version 1.0.6.

So that your embedded controller gets version 1.0.1 again.

If that's the case, plug your WD15 into the right side and try your luck with the monitor settings.

Then you can also try to provide your WD15 with a firmware update, if I would rather say downgrade.

If you need help how to get back to BIOS 1.0.6 under windows 10 don't hesitate to ask here to know how to do it.

and I sincerely hope that Dell soon comes with a sustainable solution.

26 Posts

June 14th, 2020 11:00

Thanks for the instructions!
How are you doing the import?

26 Posts

June 14th, 2020 11:00

Hi @jweiss15 ,

go to device manager click on firmware then right click to update drivers.

Now click on search on your computer.

Choose from a list and see if there is any system firmware 1.0.6.

if that is the case you select the system firmware then you install the BIOS update from the Dell side.

your system reboots and flushes the bios as far as it can Intel ME will make mistakes but that's ok.

the embedded controller will then have version 1.0.1.

and you are back to version 1.0.6.

if you don't have the driver you can download and unzip it here.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=dell%201.0.6

Dell, Inc. - Firmware - 0.1.0.6 Windows 10, version 1809 and later, Servicing Drivers Drivers 3/18/2020 N / A 12.6 MB

only then import and play through the points from above.

Finished.

With Ubuntu other drivers are loaded because standards are really used. there you have no forced BIOS updates via Windows Update.

26 Posts

June 14th, 2020 12:00

Hello everyone I tested the whole thing with linux and it is like Windows so we can really assume that the firmware from Dell has really big errors or weaknesses even under linux the same errors occur.

See the screenshot

Linux Erros from UBS-C to HDMILinux Erros from UBS-C to HDMI

all these cables work perfectly with another XPS 13 9380

26 Posts

June 14th, 2020 12:00

@jweiss15

hey it's very easy, unzip the cab file if necessary just double click on it and copy the content into a folder.

Then again in the device manager to install firmware and the driver is ready.

7 Posts

June 15th, 2020 14:00

I finally gave up waiting for Dell to fix their firmware/drivers, and bought this adapter instead: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X4S5C7G/

It arrived today and I can confirm it works fine with my XPS 13 9300 even with the latest BIOS, unlike my original cable (this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075V5JK36/), which still doesn't work on the XPS, even though it works fine on a MacBook.

Ridiculous that I'm having to waste money on buying a second accessory just because Dell are taking so long to even acknowledge they broke the functionality with a software update.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 16th, 2020 10:00

I installed BIOS v1.0.10 and v1.0.11 .

The XPS-13 itself (and also my little Mokin USB-C dongle) seem to still be working fine. 

26 Posts

June 16th, 2020 21:00

Hi @Tesla1856 ,

that your Mokin USB-C dongle continues to work really well.
Unfortunately your Mokin USB-C dongle will not support 144Hz or even 240Hz for a monitor like a USB-C DP or HDMI adapter does.
So the question remains why Dell is not sharpening here for all affected customers.
It cannot be the goal to buy 100 adapters where exactly one adapter works and offers me 60Hz on a 240 Hz monitor.

117 Posts

June 16th, 2020 22:00

Hi @_Shade_ , not an ideal solution, but the CableMatters adapter I highlighted previously can run my 1440p monitor at 144hz. Presumably it should run 240hz as well as long as within the spec of DP 1.4

1 Message

June 17th, 2020 03:00

I am experiencing the same issue. Updated to BIOS 1.0.11 and my USB-C to DisplayPort adapter no longer works. It does not matter which of the two usb-c ports are used or whether the device is being charged. I am getting error notifications regardless of whether a DP cable is actually connected to the adapter.

26 Posts

June 17th, 2020 12:00

Hi, @describee 

I believe you when you say that your adapter works well. The real problem is that Dell brings out a bios update with forced update and a large part of the adapter no longer works.
I myself have invested around € 75 in adapters and they still don't work on the XPS 13 9300.
On the day I got the notebook I was happy and tested all of my adapters and they worked.
Well a few weeks later BIOS update nothing works !!!
I have so much time spend in the installation and research that I would roughly say 150 € per hour that Dell would have to check out the whole notebook.
All the support calls etc.

Dell please bring out a firmware that fixes everything so that we are all happy.

Can't be that difficult with such a big company

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

June 17th, 2020 18:00

@Tesla1856 Your issue with the failed Intel ME firmware update is really quite strange, given that I had no issues on my first unit as well as the replacement I received recently.

---------------------------

@describee ,

Agreed.

If you run MSINFO32 on yours, what are the values for:

Processor
BaseBoard (all 3)

No Events found!