Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2020 20:00

XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer work

Hi there,

Just updated my BIOS to 1.0.10   this morning. It apparently updates the firmware of the TB3/USB Type-C port. Probably solves some Power Delivery issues. 

Unfortunately, after the update, DisplayPort is no longer working properly over USB Type-C. I have tried four different adapters, and only one works sporadically after the update.

2020-05-20 (3).png2020-05-20 (4).png

I did a search on Reddit and apparently I am not alone.

I am unable to downgrade the BIOS back to 1.0.7 despite having "allow bios downgrade" option enabled in BIOS. Some of the updated firmware do not roll back.

Anyone having these issues too?

117 Posts

June 17th, 2020 21:00

@Tesla1856 

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz, 1498 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.

BaseBoard Product 077Y9N

BaseBoard Version A00

26 Posts

June 18th, 2020 00:00

@Tesla1856 ,

her is my Hardware Rev. 

CPU BIOS REV.CPU BIOS REV.

6 Posts

June 18th, 2020 04:00

I have a brand new i5 9300 unboxed yesterday on 1.0.6.  I am pairing it with my CalDigit TB3.  Right now, it woks great, but I have NOT downloaded any Windows updates since I don't know how to keep the Dell Firmware from popping into the list.  I delayed the updates for the 5 day limit.

Can someone help me with the proper way to keep the firmware from auto updating and potentially ruining my working setup, but also allow the other Windows updates to occur?

26 Posts

June 18th, 2020 05:00

@ClawSS2 

welcome to our thread, yes you can block the driver updates via windows update.
There are instructions on the internet for this.

I only know that you have to enter something in the windows registry.
And
something has to be changed via gpedit.msc in the windows update settings

26 Posts

June 18th, 2020 05:00

Hi @Sejsel ,

I recommend urging you to contact support and presenting your concerns to Dell.

So that the topic becomes present at Dell, the thing must escalate.

To get a fix.

You can also refer to the thread here.

That the Dell Supporter Agent doesn't waste any more time

June 18th, 2020 06:00

@ClawSS2 boot into bios, go to security and disable the "UEFI Capsule Firmware Updates"

Will prevent windows update from installing the bios. 

Thanks @describee for the tip 

18 Posts

June 18th, 2020 09:00

Seriously, Dell should refund everyone in this thread the full invoice value of their XPS 13 9300. I've wasted so much time debugging and talking to Dell about this issue that I'm now at a net-loss for buying this laptop.

I've never been able to achieve a successful 4k @ 60Hz connection from the day I received this machine.

12 Posts

June 18th, 2020 09:00

Like @_Shade_ said so well, we need to contact the support and make our voice.

I'm with the support for almost one week. They keep asking me the same questions again and again, what kind of adapter I use and so on...
The adapter works well with other brands and laptops, even with other DELL computers (latitude).

And was ok with BIOS 1.06
So it's clearly a BIOS issue.

Hope we will have an update really soon.

June 18th, 2020 10:00

@HugoMRod 

I reported it to Support as soon as 1.0.10 was released. Did everything they asked, remote session, reinstall Windows and even SENT in my XPS13 to the repair facility...at first they tried to tell me it was my monitor BUT I have a BRAND NEW Dell P2421DC...

in the end, they just sent me a replacement with 1.0.6...

I feel defeated...

12 Posts

June 18th, 2020 11:00

@LiquidIce012 I know what you feel man.

And I guess we are a lot on the same boat.
I try to help them, give them my time, logs, answers, tests....but at the end, nothing goes forward.

I think I never went to such trubles with one computer...

6 Posts

June 19th, 2020 06:00

@LiquidIce012 & @describee ... Thanks to both of you.  I was able to stop the BIOS update and stay where I was but receive the other Windows updates.  I doubled down with wushowhide.diagcab to also HIDE the updates until a "fix" is found.

I will keep monitoring this thread for a better BIOS update that is verified by all of you fine folks dealing with the issue in hopes that the frustration does not build into a "return point".  Thank to everyone now and in the future.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 22nd, 2020 10:00

Heard from an internal Dell contact that the report I submitted about this has been assigned to someone within the Advanced Resolution Support Triage team as a Priority 2 item.  I don't have any more information than that at this point, so please don't ask me what exactly "Priority 2" means.  I'm relaying what I'm getting as I'm getting it.

26 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 10:00

I think we will all get a solution in the next BIOS update. The error and the behavior was passed on with PRIO 2 is already a step further.
I also think that the good reviews of the system are currently suffering from the fact that there are a lot of users with the bios problems.

I also noticed that there is currently a 32GB RAM version. but why should I buy it if nothing works.

Beste _Shade_

18 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 14:00

Yep, I have the 32GB RAM model and it has been sitting in my office unused for 3 weeks because of the BIOS issues. Only another week or so until my return window expires

7 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 17:00

Any luck with the usb c display issue?

I have a usb c hub with hdmi port connected to dell monitor. The setup works perfectly with Lennovo X1 carbon  and macbook pro 13, so definitely not an issue with hub or monitor.

No Events found!