Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2020 20:00

XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer work

Hi there,

Just updated my BIOS to 1.0.10   this morning. It apparently updates the firmware of the TB3/USB Type-C port. Probably solves some Power Delivery issues. 

Unfortunately, after the update, DisplayPort is no longer working properly over USB Type-C. I have tried four different adapters, and only one works sporadically after the update.

2020-05-20 (3).png2020-05-20 (4).png

I did a search on Reddit and apparently I am not alone.

I am unable to downgrade the BIOS back to 1.0.7 despite having "allow bios downgrade" option enabled in BIOS. Some of the updated firmware do not roll back.

Anyone having these issues too?

117 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 18:00

Someone from Dell reached out to me via email yesterday. They will procure a "faulty" adapter from Amazon and test if they can replicate the issue and from there forward it to the engineering team for a solution.

So far I have pointed them to a "faulty" CableCreations adapter. If you guys could list down Amazon links to incompatible adapters, that would probably be helpful too.

June 23rd, 2020 18:00

They reached out to me via Twitter yesterday.

I provided them a link to the adapter I have. 

Hoping this is a sign a fix is on the horizon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PFH91WQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_y5Q8EbQXNR4FG

8 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 22:00

Add me to the long list of people facing this.

2 Posts

June 24th, 2020 18:00

Hi everyone , I have the same issue, I bought a ugreen usb c to hdmi adapter at 60hz and the same problem but something weird happens because after sometime with my xps connected to the power adapter I did the test and it worked , seems like something with the power manager or something like that.

2BC09A07-8C95-4166-B69B-DD5128D857F8.jpeg

26 Posts

June 25th, 2020 08:00

So I have tested many adapters and all adapters work on other notebooks.

the adapters worked for me before the BIOS update / the TB3 port firmware / Power firmware update or the CVE for TB ports.

I have also recently received a Level 3 escalation from Dell

I also ask everyone who finds this thread to open a Dell Support Ticket if we are to be heard.

7 Posts

June 25th, 2020 18:00

This is the adapter which is having issue with xps 13, but works fine on macbook pro and lenovo x1 carbon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q9JXWTP

4 Posts

June 26th, 2020 13:00

This is my adapter that is not working: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075V5JK36/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 However, this works on Dell Inspiron 5370.

26 Posts

June 27th, 2020 03:00

@JayKay808 this cable works fine for me usb-c to DP from UNI.

I have now received an answer to my problem, there is a technical defect on the mainboard that has been adjusted from level 3 and the error does not occur in the lab.

So my XPS13 9300 is completely exchanged.

I hope that all customers who have this problem will get a new device

18 Posts

June 27th, 2020 08:00

I'm returning my XPS 13 9300 back to Dell for a refund as a defective device. Customer support wouldn't offer any form of online credit or partial refund for my troubles. After pushing them pretty hard, they offered me "up to 15% off a new device", so I'll keep an eye on this thread over the coming weeks to see if the problem is resolved.

Customer support also offered me an opportunity to receive a pre-release BIOS update, but they wanted me to sign an NDA to receive it. I wasn't about to sign an NDA to get what I already paid top dollar for, so I passed, but if you're past the return window for your machine you may want to ask about it.

1 Message

June 28th, 2020 20:00

Add me to the list as well, bought this last night, today morning windows update and the external monitor stooped working, it was working fine before BIOS update, i have opened a support ticket as well.

Can anyone recommend a display port to type C Cable that is working fine?

117 Posts

June 28th, 2020 21:00

This worked fine for me (the aluminium version): https://www.cablematters.com/pc-1053-122-aluminum-usb-c-to-hdmi-adapter-4k-ready.aspx

It should be available on Amazon too

6 Posts

July 1st, 2020 05:00

So if you say the BIOS update revealed a mainboard flaw in your case, I wonder what the recourse is for those like me who do like the machine, but have not/will not update the BIOS since everything is working now.  If DELL is not seeing the BIOS update as the issue, am I stuck on version 1.0.6 forever?

20 Posts

July 1st, 2020 05:00

Dell is seeing the BIOS update as an issue and there are various reports on this thread of people (including me) who have been in touch with Dell support who told them they were working on an update (with no ETA).

So once the update is released and confirmed to fix the issue, you can safely update.

6 Posts

July 1st, 2020 11:00

ok, I understand.  @_Shade_ mentioned a response that did not fit what you had mentioned.  They made it sound specific to a board issue in that machine for replacement.  The other discussions here seem like multiple iterations of adapter blaming.  Please forgive my misunderstanding that Dell is working on something.  I was not getting that feeling from the 11 pages of discontent.

6 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 08:00

This "solution" is only a workaround though. 

First, of course it should work with any other adapters as it's even working on much cheaper machines.

Second, people already spent literally hundreds of $$ on adapters. 

Third - it's nice to be able to use not-so-expensive docking powert-through stations saving one thunderbolt port. 

It should just work... otherwise it's a faulty machine, can't see it any other way really  

No Events found!