Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2020 20:00

XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer work

Hi there,

Just updated my BIOS to 1.0.10   this morning. It apparently updates the firmware of the TB3/USB Type-C port. Probably solves some Power Delivery issues. 

Unfortunately, after the update, DisplayPort is no longer working properly over USB Type-C. I have tried four different adapters, and only one works sporadically after the update.

2020-05-20 (3).png2020-05-20 (4).png

I did a search on Reddit and apparently I am not alone.

I am unable to downgrade the BIOS back to 1.0.7 despite having "allow bios downgrade" option enabled in BIOS. Some of the updated firmware do not roll back.

Anyone having these issues too?

26 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 08:00

Hello everybody,

I communicated a little with the Dell Level 3 Support and was sent a Dell USB-C to HDMI.

This adapter works with the latest BIOS 1.0.11 without any problems, any combination with AC or without AC everything works perfectly.

Of course, this raises the question for me why do these third-party adapters only work if you feel like it?

Why is alternate mode so difficult to implement?

Long talk short story.

With this Dell adapter I was given a solution that worked for me. maybe there is also the possibility for you to get a Dell adapter as a solution.

In summary I am on BIOS version 1.0.11 and all functions like USB-C to HDMI work.

I also think that the Dell USB-C to DisplayPort on the XPS 13 9300 works properly.

Ask the support if he will send you an adapter for testing of course as a solution for free.

Best _Shade_

4 Posts

July 3rd, 2020 11:00

@_Shade_ 

Thanks for the suggestion - I have purchased the USB-C to DP adapter from UNI and I can confirm it works. 

Thank you for the work-around!

1 Message

July 5th, 2020 01:00

Those adapters bought via amazon from Bauihr also work (Bios: 1.0.11):

• Bauihr USB-C HDMI 4K + USB-C VGA 1080P + HDMI VGA FHD (17 €)
  • USB C to HDMI Kabel (13 €)

1 Message

July 6th, 2020 05:00

Hi, Thanks for the quick response. Try my connection problems from my XPS to monitor. So a simple USB C to USB C from monitor to laptop will do the job. No adapter required. Can you kindly suggest a cable I can purchase to connect my XPS 13 9300 to my Dell U2720Q monitor? I really appreciate your help. Thanks

26 Posts

July 6th, 2020 09:00

I also have the UNI USB-C for DisplayPort and it works for me.

I can only tell you one thing that the Dell XPS 13 9300 manual states that this is the only supported DisplayPlay Connector USB-C to DisplayPort.

A hardware defect could really play a role with you.

8 Posts

July 6th, 2020 12:00

In my particular case dell mention the motherboard maybe damage and want to replace it.... at this point I will try to return it and get back my money, this is poor customer service.

8 Posts

July 6th, 2020 13:00

Update: They don't want to offer a refund, at the same they hold no liability on the local company if they don't fix or mess more the laptop... this is horrible on several levels. 

July 7th, 2020 03:00

I'm facing the same problem when we can fix this issue .

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 7th, 2020 08:00

Another update.  The BIOS team is apparently aware of this issue and is working on a fix. No ETA received, unfortunately.

8 Posts

July 14th, 2020 16:00

Dell didn't assist and close my ticket, so any update for anyone else for a Bios update?

18 Posts

July 21st, 2020 19:00

Are folks still experiencing this issue? I haven't seen any recent BIOS updates to imply that this would be fixed.

I'm considering re-ordering an XPS 13 but would end up sending it back again if the problem isn't resolved.

8 Posts

July 21st, 2020 20:00

Just return it, don't waste money on a company with poor customer service.

July 22nd, 2020 05:00

I've been in contact with L3 support. They confirmed fix for 3rd party adapters should be in the next BIOS update. No ETA when that will be though. 

5 Posts

July 26th, 2020 23:00

Is anyone else seeing this happen on the XPS 15 9500? I started a thread where I'm having a very similar issue on that machine (USB-C to DP cables don't work with the TB3 ports when the monitor is in DP 1.2 mode): https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9500-Intermittent-signal-on-4K-DisplayPort-1-2-monitor/m-p/7657428

The main difference is that the XPS 15 has one non-Thunderbolt USB-C port, which does work as expected with my DP 1.2 monitor, but the issues with the Thunderbolt ports sound exactly like what I'm seeing in this thread.

No Events found!