Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer work

Jump to solution

This worked fine for me (the aluminium version): https://www.cablematters.com/pc-1053-122-aluminum-usb-c-to-hdmi-adapter-4k-ready.aspx

It should be available on Amazon too

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

So if you say the BIOS update revealed a mainboard flaw in your case, I wonder what the recourse is for those like me who do like the machine, but have not/will not update the BIOS since everything is working now.  If DELL is not seeing the BIOS update as the issue, am I stuck on version 1.0.6 forever?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Dell is seeing the BIOS update as an issue and there are various reports on this thread of people (including me) who have been in touch with Dell support who told them they were working on an update (with no ETA).

So once the update is released and confirmed to fix the issue, you can safely update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

ok, I understand.  @_Shade_ mentioned a response that did not fit what you had mentioned.  They made it sound specific to a board issue in that machine for replacement.  The other discussions here seem like multiple iterations of adapter blaming.  Please forgive my misunderstanding that Dell is working on something.  I was not getting that feeling from the 11 pages of discontent.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hello everybody,

I communicated a little with the Dell Level 3 Support and was sent a Dell USB-C to HDMI.

This adapter works with the latest BIOS 1.0.11 without any problems, any combination with AC or without AC everything works perfectly.

Of course, this raises the question for me why do these third-party adapters only work if you feel like it?

Why is alternate mode so difficult to implement?

Long talk short story.

With this Dell adapter I was given a solution that worked for me. maybe there is also the possibility for you to get a Dell adapter as a solution.

In summary I am on BIOS version 1.0.11 and all functions like USB-C to HDMI work.

I also think that the Dell USB-C to DisplayPort on the XPS 13 9300 works properly.

Ask the support if he will send you an adapter for testing of course as a solution for free.

Best _Shade_

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

This "solution" is only a workaround though. 

First, of course it should work with any other adapters as it's even working on much cheaper machines.

Second, people already spent literally hundreds of $$ on adapters. 

Third - it's nice to be able to use not-so-expensive docking powert-through stations saving one thunderbolt port. 

It should just work... otherwise it's a faulty machine, can't see it any other way really 😕 

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Those adapters bought via amazon from Bauihr also work (Bios: 1.0.11):

• Bauihr USB-C HDMI 4K + USB-C VGA 1080P + HDMI VGA FHD (17 €)
  • USB C to HDMI Kabel (13 €)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@_Shade_ 

Thanks for the suggestion - I have purchased the USB-C to DP adapter from UNI and I can confirm it works. 

Thank you for the work-around!

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm on Ubuntu 18.04 and this USB-C hub only works for HDMI and ethernet - additional USB devices plugged in don't work https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Charging-Ethernet-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B07TVSLDND/ref=pd_rhf_ee_...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I also have the UNI USB-C for DisplayPort and it works for me.

I can only tell you one thing that the Dell XPS 13 9300 manual states that this is the only supported DisplayPlay Connector USB-C to DisplayPort.

A hardware defect could really play a role with you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

In my particular case dell mention the motherboard maybe damage and want to replace it.... at this point I will try to return it and get back my money, this is poor customer service.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Update: They don't want to offer a refund, at the same they hold no liability on the local company if they don't fix or mess more the laptop... this is horrible on several levels. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I'm facing the same problem when we can fix this issue .

Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

Another update.  The BIOS team is apparently aware of this issue and is working on a fix. No ETA received, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Dell didn't assist and close my ticket, so any update for anyone else for a Bios update?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Are folks still experiencing this issue? I haven't seen any recent BIOS updates to imply that this would be fixed.

I'm considering re-ordering an XPS 13 but would end up sending it back again if the problem isn't resolved.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Just return it, don't waste money on a company with poor customer service.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I've been in contact with L3 support. They confirmed fix for 3rd party adapters should be in the next BIOS update. No ETA when that will be though. 

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Is anyone else seeing this happen on the XPS 15 9500? I started a thread where I'm having a very similar issue on that machine (USB-C to DP cables don't work with the TB3 ports when the monitor is in DP 1.2 mode): https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9500-Intermittent-signal-on-4K-DisplayPort-1-2-monitor/m-p...

The main difference is that the XPS 15 has one non-Thunderbolt USB-C port, which does work as expected with my DP 1.2 monitor, but the issues with the Thunderbolt ports sound exactly like what I'm seeing in this thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Dell released a new bios this morning, v. 1.1.0.

I was under the impression that this issue was being worked on and fixed for the next bios update, but most display adapters do not work or only SOMETIMES work. It's disappointing to see this issue not fixed, especially as so many of us are working at home with docking stations.

@DELL-Cares can you please advise us on what to do? Are level 3 techs looking into this? It seems like a hugely basic flaw for a laptop to have...

@LiquidIce012 are you able to be in contact again with the L3 techs you mentioned earlier?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@Kyle Sh. Dell reached out to me via Twitter this morning to ask me try BIOS 1.1.0.  Still does not work with my 3rd party adapter.  Waiting on them to respond. The person I've been communicating with thru Twitter stated they are a L3 engineer and their primary role in REC is investigating this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

Well I got an answer back from the escalation path I was pursuing, and it didn't make sense.  They were talking about only being able to output 30 Hz on both new and older BIOS versions and therefore suggesting limitations on the adapters.  I replied asking whether anybody involved in that testing had actually read even the problem summary I sent them, never mind this thread, which makes it clear that the problem is adapters that stopped working completely after a BIOS update, not adapters that have reduced performance.  Still hoping to get an answer back on that.

As for BIOS 1.1.0, there's nothing in the release notes here about fixes for this.  Of course published release notes don't always include all fixes/changes, but given that one of the fixes mentioned was a security issue, it's possible that Dell fast-tracked a release to fix that problem and therefore other fixes planned for the "next release" got pushed.  But I don't have a way to know that for sure; that is purely a guess on my part.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I thought I was lucky.

On 1.0.11 and all previous versions I was able to get my Anker USB-C->HDMI adapter to output 4k/60hz relatively easily.  There were some hiccups here and there, but tweaking Ubuntu's display settings usually sorted them out and got me the correct resolution.

I just upgraded BIOS to 1.1.0 this morning and now that's broken.  My OS sees the display but the highest resolution it offers me is a bizarro 1280x800.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

Ok, better update from my internal escalation path:

BIOS 1.0.10 included a new PD firmware meant to fix other issues.  That firmware added a timing delay before the Alt Mode discovery process (e.g. for DP Alt Mode).  That delay is causing some dongles to generate some extra messages that are unexpected by the system at the time they are generated, which causes the system to abort the negotiation and thus not enter into DP Alt Mode.

Originally the BIOS team had planned to roll back the PD firmware as part of the 1.1.0 update, but now that they believe they understand root cause (above), they scrapped that plan and are currently working with Texas Instruments on corrective actions.

Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hello everybody,

I have installed the current BIOS for the Dell XPS 13 9300 and can not make any improvement in terms of USB-C to HDMI or DP.
All tested Ugren USB-C to HDMI do not work.
I also found that the firmware in Windows Device Manager does not yet have the correct driver due to the update. A manual search for the Windows update catalog was not successful.

My USB-C to DP from UNi continues to work without problems.

@ 60Hz
@ 144Hz
@ 240Hz

I hope that Dell sharpens here in the interest of the customer and that we are all happy again.
I can only say everyone opens a ticket and escalates the topic.
I also found that only the BIOS changes but no changes are made to the firmware of the EC and PD ports.

See the Screenshots 🙂

Beste _Shade_Only Bios Version ChangedOnly Bios Version ChangedNothing ChangeNothing ChangeUNi USB-C TO DP @ 144HzUNi USB-C TO DP @ 144HzFirmware on Windows SideFirmware on Windows Side

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

@_Shade_  which device specifically shows it does not have the correct driver? Maybe this is something we can dig into more... I've noticed drivers are often missing from the dell profile for whichever laptop/service tag you are looking at. Maybe something else exists that we don't know about yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@jphughan @Kyle Sh. 

My contact also responded that the PD firmware needs to be updated

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Also experiencing issues with USB-C docks on my 9300

1.1.0 seemed to help at first but seeing issues again after just a few minutes.

Using a plugable UD-ULTC4K with latest drivers, fully updated windows and BIOS.

Thank you former posters for doing the work of communicating with Dell. I'm glad to see they're working on a fix for the Power Delivery and USB-C subsystems - just wanted to throw my hat in the ring as another affected customer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

I need to correct myself from earlier - the new bios DOES improve this. Certain docks that did absolutely not work previously now work sometimes. It takes a lot of unplugging/replugging and trying again.... but it works sometimes!! For some reason, I have better luck with the port on the right side of the laptop compared to the left side...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Behavior is the same for me, but instability (both or one monitor dropping) starts up quickly even in instances where I can get the docks to connect on 1.1.0 - as though different devices are being selectively suspended (USB selective suspend not in power options so cant turn this off to test).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Just bumping this thread in hopes of a resolution from Dell. My 9300 is useless for it's primary purpose (work laptop) and I'm working off a 4 year old Lenovo until it can be fixed...

Overall the 9300 has been a mess, dynamic brightness that turns on every boot despite being disabled, battery life issues, audio effects (waves nx) getting turned on after disabling, and now it does not even work with my dock or my usb-c HDMI adapter. A portable with unreliable battery that also can't dock fails it's two primary use cases...

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Completely frustrated by this entire experience.

I thought the 9300 was Dell's flagship.  What happened?  Does no one at Dell use a 9300 with an external display?

The lack of communication has been awful.  I'm here refreshing this thread half a dozen times a day just hoping there's been an update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@BlipBloop  and others, just got an update from my internal contact. BIOS 1.2.0 is planned to include fixes for 3rd party display adapters and is currently expected to be released on September 4. That’s all the information I have, so please don’t ask which adapters will get fixed or why the update isn’t expected to arrive sooner. I’m passing along what I receive.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Well, I rolled the dice and bought another XPS 13 9300 after returning my original one. First thing I did was install all the latest drivers and BIOS updates, but I'm still only getting 4k @ 30Hz while hooked up to my CalDigit TS3+ Thunderbolt 3 dock. Looks like I'll be returning this machine for a refund, too.

You would think that Dell would test their product with the most popular Thunderbolt 3 dock on Amazon...

Link to CalDigit TS3+ here: https://amzn.to/39Ltz1L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I have "accidentally" upgraded to 1.0.11 and have external video.  2mo. old 9300 to Caldigit TS3 on TB3 to DP into a AOC CQ27G2 at a confirmed 1440p & 143-144Hz refresh.  Others state the Caldigit is not a working option, but mine is.  I would be happy to assist in a settings compare or some other avenue you would like to examine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Anything under 4k resolution hasn't been an issue for me. I bet if you tried outputting 4k @ 60Hz you would have some problems (or simply not even have the option).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@faraday7   OH!  I thought all adapters/all resolutions.  I am sorry for the confusion.  I do not have a 4k device, so guess I'm good to go.  Thanks for that clarification.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution
I can test the functioning with my XPS 13 9300 via DP and HDMI adapters and then give feedback. We have some testing Displays in the company. Beste Shade
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank god.  You are 1000% more helpful that any interactions I've had with Dell's support team on this.

Thank you @jphughan for succeeding where Dell has failed completely.  Without your updates we would be left high and dry.

September 4th has been marked on my calendar.  Understanding full well that the date may change.  It's acknowledgement and a timeframe - that's all we needed!

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am adding to this thread as well. I am having the same issue as everyone else! Very frustrating since this is supposed to be Dell's new and improved laptop. I've had more issues than I ever have had with a laptop.

I sure hope the Sept 4th date is solid. Please make it happen Dell.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Re: XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer workS

Jump to solution

For me the problem is intermittent on Linux (both with a Lenovo Thinkvision monitor with built-in USB-C hub and with Dell's very own USB-C to USB, Ethernet, HDMI and VGA hub). Sometimes unplugging and plugging it back in a few times ends up working, sometimes it just freezes the laptop until restarted.

On Windows, however, the hubs seem to work alright. Might be a combination of the bad BIOS update and my newer Kernel version (updated to 5.8.1)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

A Dell Customer Service manager on the escalations team just called me and said that the $2,000 XPS 13 9300 I bought "doesn't support 4k resolution to an external display because you only bought the full HD version". I called him out on his ineptitude and hung up.

Good luck everyone - I'm taking my business elsewhere and suggest you do too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@faraday7  Sigh.... And people wonder why some answers I give here don't match up with what they hear from Dell sales and support reps.  Sorry you got such bad information.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Everyone can stop holding their breath-- I am a brand new XPS 13 9300 owner (device arrived 2 days ago) running BIOS version 1.0.11 and the video out from USB-C still doesn't work.

What an absolute trash product.

Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@kangnaishu Just in case you missed it, check my post from a little while ago.  It's a known issue expected to be fixed in BIOS update 1.2.0, which is scheduled for release on September 4.  At least that's the most recent update I have.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Wouldn't it be time for an official statement by Dell?

All we have are rumours about a solution.

We have two problems: The connectivity issue and Dell's non-responsiveness.

I put the topic on LinkedIn. People should know and should be warned not to buy the product: 

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/oliverlehmann_xps-13-9300-bios-1010-usb-type-c-to-dp-activity-6703208...

Please like, share, and comment.

Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

I'm the OP here. I sold the laptop almost two months ago in favour of another brand. It's still disheartening that I receive new email alerts every now and then... that, one, the issue hasn't been resolved three months on (and really, a simple BIOS rollback could have sufficed), and two, if not for @jphughan bringing the issue up to Dell's attention (and I believe the escalation process was far from straightforward on his end, too), I wonder if this issue would ever be resolved.

Anyway, to re-iterate, if you are experiencing this issue, there are a few adapters that are known to work (which I and others have posted on this thread earlier), so I guess as a workaround you should try getting one of those adapters in the interim.

It is really a pity. The XPS 9300 is really the best looking laptop out there. It's beautifully crafted and has a great feel, but unfortunately, that's all the good things I can say about it, especially when you take into account the price premium the XPS commands over other brands.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@describee 

I bought two adapters and they do not work either. Enough DIY. It's Dell responsibility to respond to customers' complaints and resolve the problem.

They should also be aware that this will not remain a forum topic but that the market will learn about it.

E.g. here:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/oliverlehmann_xps-13-9300-bios-1010-usb-type-c-to-dp-activity-6703208...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Outsourcing everything to India at it's finest! Pay top US dollar and get buggy untested software. Mmm Dell.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

So I tested it and got 4k at 60Hz without problems with a FullHD XPS13 9300 with Intel Iris Pro.
I really don't think that should be a problem.
I worked with a UNI USB-C-to-DP without any problems.
Even with the tested Dell adapters everything worked.
look at the screenshot and explain yourself.

BIOS @ 1.1.0
Firmware in Windows @ 1.0.11
Latest GFX Driver by Intel
Latest Driver by Dell4K @ 60Hz4K @ 60Hz

0 Kudos