2 Bronze

Re: XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer workS

Jump to solution

How about USB-C to HDMI with or without a Thunderbolt 3 dock between?

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

If you're running Ubuntu and want to check your Thunderbolt firmware version before and after the upcoming BIOS update, run this command:

sudo fwupdmgr get-devices

On my machine on BIOS 1.1.0, the Thunderbolt controllers are reporting version 80.00.

0 Kudos
2 Iron

Jump to solution

The BIOS is 1.1.0
My thunderbolt firmware is 80.0
My test was without a DockingStation.
USB-C-DP adapter: https://www.amazon.de/uni-DisplayPort-Kabel-DisplayPort-Kabel-Space/dp/B081ZZSV2S
USB-C-HDMI adapter: https://www.dell.com/de-de/shop/dell-adapter-usb-c-zu-hdmi/apd/470-abmz/netzwerkl%C3%B6sungen
If further tests are needed with DockingStation, I would have to offer a WD19TB.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

4th September will be the day. Or will it?

Jump to solution

I updated yesterday from BIOS 1.0.11 to 1.1.0. The problem is still there, zero improvement, and the device manager strangely still says 1.0.11.

I received a call from German DELL support today confirming 4 September 2020 as the scheduled launch date for an updated BIOS that fixes the problem. We'll see.

What a disaster for DELL. If they blow it again, they can take the laptop back and count me out as a customer after 8 years.

1 Copper

Re: 4th September will be the day. Or will it?

Jump to solution

My XPS 13 9300 just won't connect to my lg 27UD59 4k monitor via a Choetech USB-C to DP port cable. The cable works fine with a Mac book Pro going to the same monitor. If I connect my Dell to a USB-C hub (Dell DA300) and then use a DP to DP cable between the hub and cable  then it works fine as well. 

I've spent nearly 2 weeks with Dell support via WhatsApp back and forth every day. Bios (1.1.0) and drivers all up to date. 

I even mentioned this thread in the discussion and asked whether a BIOS fix was a reality. To be honest the support from Dell was a joke. I finally ended up calling support in the UK and got through to someone who seemed to know what they were doing. After a brief (60min) call during which support took over my laptop and having told them about this thread they did state the a BIOS fix was coming in 1.2.0. They wouldn't commit to a date (understandably in my opinion) but said within the next month. 

Fingers crossed. Not sure why its taken 2 weeks on WhatsApp and a1hr support call before they finally admitted that a BIOS fix was coming. 

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Agreed - two problems:

- USB C to DP and HDMI not working

- Poor customer communications

Next time, I will buy an ALDI PC. Their service is definitively better, and the PC costs a fraction.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

And now we have the answer: nope.

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've just updated my bios to 1.2.0 version, my third party adapter (Mobility-Lab-MAC8010) is now working.

Thanks to everybody involved in this thread and the bios team!

0 Kudos
1 Copper

Jump to solution

No change for me, still broken.

I have already change the Screen/webcam/Microphone.. the next monday I change motherboard+fan...

Worst PC for me...

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Why thank you Dell,

Changelog in BIOS 1.2.0: Fixed the issue where Dell logo flickers towards the bottom of the display during boot.

I think I can now forget about the 3rd party USB-C monitor not working as well as removal of Fn+Arrow keys to work as Home/End buttons. What a major version bios update.

0 Kudos