Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer workS

Jump to solution

How about USB-C to HDMI with or without a Thunderbolt 3 dock between?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

If you're running Ubuntu and want to check your Thunderbolt firmware version before and after the upcoming BIOS update, run this command:

sudo fwupdmgr get-devices

On my machine on BIOS 1.1.0, the Thunderbolt controllers are reporting version 80.00.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

The BIOS is 1.1.0
My thunderbolt firmware is 80.0
My test was without a DockingStation.
USB-C-DP adapter: https://www.amazon.de/uni-DisplayPort-Kabel-DisplayPort-Kabel-Space/dp/B081ZZSV2S
USB-C-HDMI adapter: https://www.dell.com/de-de/shop/dell-adapter-usb-c-zu-hdmi/apd/470-abmz/netzwerkl%C3%B6sungen
If further tests are needed with DockingStation, I would have to offer a WD19TB.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

4th September will be the day. Or will it?

Jump to solution

I updated yesterday from BIOS 1.0.11 to 1.1.0. The problem is still there, zero improvement, and the device manager strangely still says 1.0.11.

I received a call from German DELL support today confirming 4 September 2020 as the scheduled launch date for an updated BIOS that fixes the problem. We'll see.

What a disaster for DELL. If they blow it again, they can take the laptop back and count me out as a customer after 8 years.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: 4th September will be the day. Or will it?

Jump to solution

My XPS 13 9300 just won't connect to my lg 27UD59 4k monitor via a Choetech USB-C to DP port cable. The cable works fine with a Mac book Pro going to the same monitor. If I connect my Dell to a USB-C hub (Dell DA300) and then use a DP to DP cable between the hub and cable  then it works fine as well. 

I've spent nearly 2 weeks with Dell support via WhatsApp back and forth every day. Bios (1.1.0) and drivers all up to date. 

I even mentioned this thread in the discussion and asked whether a BIOS fix was a reality. To be honest the support from Dell was a joke. I finally ended up calling support in the UK and got through to someone who seemed to know what they were doing. After a brief (60min) call during which support took over my laptop and having told them about this thread they did state the a BIOS fix was coming in 1.2.0. They wouldn't commit to a date (understandably in my opinion) but said within the next month. 

Fingers crossed. Not sure why its taken 2 weeks on WhatsApp and a1hr support call before they finally admitted that a BIOS fix was coming. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Agreed - two problems:

- USB C to DP and HDMI not working

- Poor customer communications

Next time, I will buy an ALDI PC. Their service is definitively better, and the PC costs a fraction.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

And now we have the answer: nope.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've just updated my bios to 1.2.0 version, my third party adapter (Mobility-Lab-MAC8010) is now working.

Thanks to everybody involved in this thread and the bios team!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

No change for me, still broken.

I have already change the Screen/webcam/Microphone.. the next monday I change motherboard+fan...

Worst PC for me...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Why thank you Dell,

Changelog in BIOS 1.2.0: Fixed the issue where Dell logo flickers towards the bottom of the display during boot.

I think I can now forget about the 3rd party USB-C monitor not working as well as removal of Fn+Arrow keys to work as Home/End buttons. What a major version bios update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Updated this morning, confirm my 3rd party USB-C to HDMI adapter is working with my monitor.  Will check my TV later.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yep. Same here. Loaded  BIOS 1.2.0 which released today [4th September] and it fixed my issue. When I plug my  XPS 13 (9300) into my  LG 4k monitor (27UD59) via a Choetech USB-C to DP cable the external monitor works. Before it just didn't. Have tried unplugging and hot plugging usbc cable several times and the monitor is recognised every time and running at 60hz refresh rate. Cold boots also work perfectly. As they should have done all along. 

Well Dell you got there eventually so thank you for that. Maybe next time be more honest and open about things. But thanks again and thanks to everyone on here as well, particularly those who helped get us site info about what was going on. 

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

1.2.0 seems to be working now.

The Thunderbolt controller showed v80.00 both before *and* after the update, so that's weird.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@BlipBloop  Thunderbolt controller firmware updates are issued as separate packages.  They are not part of BIOS updates.  (EDIT: Well at any rate, that's how it's been with previous Dell systems.  I'm not sure about the XPS 13 9300 since I don't see any TB3 controller firmware updates listed on support.dell.com.  I suppose one possible explanation is that it hasn't received an update yet.  Or maybe Dell started packaging them into BIOS updates now?  But TB3 firmware updates are definitely separate on older systems, such as past XPS 13 and 15 models, and the Latitude 7480 I'm using right now.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Still seeing the same issue on bios 1.2.0.

My usbc-HDMI has been working ok if connected directly to the thunderbolt port. The issue I have is with the Caldigit ts3 plus thunderbolt dock.

I have two monitors, the one connected to the dock via DP works perfectly. The one connected to the dock via USB-C-HDMI occasionally works, but the resolution can't be set correctly.

I have contacted the support and they said the engineering team aware of the issue and plan to address it on another bios release in November 2020.

I'm going to return my 9300 as my 30-day window ends soon. I was expected this should've been fully fixed on bios 1.2.0 but it doesn't, who knows what might happen in November...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Lucky you, having still window to return. I'd do the same 😞 

I'm having similar issues as you have with the docking station (+ one monitor through miniDP works only once every 3,4,5 or more reconnect of whole docking station). 
I was thinking about purchasing caldigit tb3 dock too, (I would be closing to spend on docks, hubs, adapters and whatnot, close to what I paid for laptop itself (that's sick :/)). Glad I read your message. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Yeah I guess I am the lucky one here, still too bad I am a big fan of the XPS series and I really like the design of this laptop, My other XPS 13 9370 works perfectly with the same setup.

I got the developer edition and have Arch Linux setup, customized and everything.

For anyone that's interested, the dmesg when I connect the monitor via Caldigit TS3 plus via hdmi/usb-c is:

i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] *ERROR* Link Training  Unsuccessful

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Fix it for me, and while I am grateful for the fix I can't say I am happy with the overall experience with the support team and returns of dell, I am staying away from the company from now on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@marrk42  I realize you mentioned that the TS3+ works as expected with another XPS 13 model, but just in case it's a weird interoperability issue between the TS3+ and the XPS 13 9300, have you updated the firmware of the TS3+?  This article mentions some fixes related to USB-C displays connected to the downstream port.  Not sure USB-C adapters would qualify, but it may be worth looking into.  However, it appears they only provide a firmware updater application for macOS.  Any chance you have at least temporary access to a Mac with a Thunderbolt port?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@jphughan nice find, I don't have a Mac at the moment. Will definitely ask around today or maybe run a macOS VM via KVM and try to pass-thru the docking station to the guest... 

I can't believe I am doing this lol

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Do yourself a favor and return the machine to Dell for a refund while you still can instead of doing work which Dell should've had their paid employees doing for the past 2+ months 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@marrk42  Last time I checked, getting macOS running in a VM at all required jumping through quite a few hoops, but even at that point I'm not aware of Thunderbolt virtualization to allow passing through an entire Thunderbolt dock as opposed to individual devices like maybe its Ethernet interface.  But even if that was a thing now, I personally would think very carefully about attempting a firmware update that way.  You might end up with a bricked dock, which seems like kind of a big risk especially if it's not even guaranteed that this firmware update will fix the issue.  But yes, it is a bit inconvenient that CalDigit only seems to offer Mac versions of its firmware updates.  I guess that shows you their predominant user base.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@jphughan you're right, just realized that after bringing up the VM... KVM doesn't have Thunderbolt support at all.

Knowing that there is a potential solution and not trying it out will trigger my OCD, so I am going down the Hackintosh rabbit hole now. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@jphughan Doing Hackintosh is too much work, so I installed the TS3 firmware installer in my mac VM, Dig thru its installation directory and found the firmware blob.

Then I install the firmware into TS3 with fwupdtool from my arch Linux host and it actually worked without bricking it lol.

So now that I can confirm with the latest firmware installed on TS3 the issue persists. What a day.

fwupdmgr get-devices infos on TS3 in case anyone is interested:

pre update:

├─TS3 Plus:
│ Device ID: 6c98f2a2a63129f1bf19e4309e44b94426c43308
│ Current version: 35.00
│ Vendor: CalDigit, Inc. (TBT:0x003D)
│ GUIDs: 22a019cc-64d4-592b-a5ea-259176b330cd
│ 7c778112-7403-5f54-aef8-2f4f4f50ce2f
│ 4b455155-82b1-5d27-8093-70163de758c2
│ Device Flags: • Updatable
│                       • Requires AC power
│                       • Device stages updates

post update:

├─TS3 Plus:
│ Device ID: 6c98f2a2a63129f1bf19e4309e44b94426c43308
│ Current version: 44.00
│ Vendor: CalDigit, Inc. (TBT:0x003D)
│ GUIDs: 22a019cc-64d4-592b-a5ea-259176b330cd
│ 7c778112-7403-5f54-aef8-2f4f4f50ce2f
│ 4b455155-82b1-5d27-8093-70163de758c2
│ Device Flags: • Updatable
│                       • Requires AC power
│                       • Device stages updates

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi,

I went through and read this whole thread because I couldn't connect to a tv with a USB-C to HDMI cable. Contacted dell and the rep said I would need to buy a dell dock (the D6000) because "Since the XPS 9300 is high end it needs a high end connection to be able to output to an external source"--quoting the rep. there. 

Does anyone know if getting this dock will make it so that I can actually output to my tv with an HDMI cord? Thank you so much for your help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@Tpholloway  A dock might resolve the issue, but a) it shouldn't be necessary, especially after the BIOS 1.2 update, and b) the D6000 in particular would be a terrible choice.  It uses "indirect display" technology called DisplayLink -- not to be confused with DisplayPort -- and DisplayLink comes with a lot of drawbacks that can be significant in certain use cases.  I wrote about those in the post marked as the answer in this thread.  Most egregious of all in my mind is that there's no real reason to recommend the D6000 to someone who has an XPS 13 9300 that supports Thunderbolt 3, unless maybe they specifically wanted to run triple 4K displays.  Otherwise, a dock that tapped into native GPU outputs would be much better, like the Dell WD19 or WD19TB.  That said, I've also seen reports here about problems with people who are trying to run dual 4K 60 Hz display setups from a WD19TB with the XPS 13 9300, even though the WD19TB can do that just fine from other systems.  Unclear at this point where the problem lies since I haven't seen posts from people running that display setup from an XPS 13 9300 through another dock, but just fyi.

Anyway, I definitely wouldn't recommend buying an entire dock just to connect to a TV.  That rep's answer was completely ridiculous.  The cable you have should already be working, but if it's not, try another brand of cable. The reason I say that is because USB-C to HDMI adapters/cables have to incorporate an active signal converter chip to switch the DisplayPort signal that is carried over USB-C to HDMI instead.  And it seems those signal converter chips can be finicky.  I've now worked with at least 5 people on this forum who have reported problems using a USB-C to HDMI adapter/cable with some Dell laptop model even though they'd confirmed that it worked fine with other laptops/devices.  After some basic troubleshooting, in each case I basically said, "Well it's either a problem with video output from your system's USB-C port [if they didn't have some other way to test that], which would require a motherboard replacement, or it's a weird interoperability issue that occurs with the specific combination of your system and that adapter/cable.  Since the former would be a huge ordeal to address, you might want to just try a different brand of adapter/cable."  And in every single case I've made that recommendation, the person tried another one and it worked with their laptop and all other devices they tested.  Obviously that shouldn't have been necessary because the FIRST adapter/cable should have worked, but unfortunately the tech world is filled with things that SHOULD work but don't ACTUALLY work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@jphughan Well, now I feel stupid because I went ahead and bought the dock over the phone, but I made sure to ask about the return policy on it so that I can return it when I get it. Would you recommend me cancelling it now and just buying a cheaper dock on amazon? If so, what product would you recommend? (I just want to watch star wars on a big tv at my college dorm, so this is kind of frustrating. Also, I don't know how to check what bios I am on on my XPS 13 9300, anyway you could walk me through doing that as well so that I can check if I have the right bios?) Thank you literally so much. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@Tpholloway I would definitely cancel that dock order.  If you want a dock, then get a better dock.  If you quite understandably don't want to deal with a full dock just to connect to your TV as needed, then don't get a dock at all.  In terms of dock options, the Dell WD19 and Dell WD19TB would be obvious choices.  If you want to go third party, CalDigit has two docks called the TS3+ and USB-C Pro Dock that are both reliable.  Or if you want to split the difference between a full dock and a simple cable, you can consider portable "mini-dock" adapters.  On that front, I just bought this adapter.  There are a variety of these types of adapters on the market depending on what connectors you want and what you're willing to spend, but I picked that one because it includes everything I need and also includes support for the latest and/or greatest iterations of each underlying technology.  Specifically, it includes:

• USB-C power passthrough for power sources up to 100W, whereas some only support up to 60W inputs. (Note however that this adapter will "skim" 15W from the source to run itself, so if you want to keep supplying the XPS 13's full 45W to it, you'll want a USB-C power source that can supply 60W or more.  Those aren't difficult to find.  Or you can just plug the XPS 13's adapter directly into a different port and use this adapter without external power, which works, except that you might not be able to use high-powered USB peripherals through it, such as USB-powered hard drives.)
  • USB-C data port that supports up to USB 3.x Gen 2 (10 Gbps).  Most adapters only support 5 Gbps or don't have a USB-C data port at all.
  • USB-A "regular USB" ports that also support 10 Gbps rather than the much more common 5 Gbps.
  • HDMI output that supports HDMI 2.0b output for up to 4K 60 Hz HDR (when paired with a system that supports DisplayPort 1.4 over USB-C, which the XPS 13 9300 does).  Most adapters today only support up to 4K 30 Hz because they only support DisplayPort 1.2 over USB-C input from the system.
  • Ethernet
  • SD and MicroSD

But again, if all you REALLY want is a way to connect your XPS 13 to a TV, a USB-C to HDMI adapter or cable should absolutely work.  If you want futureproofing, an adapter or cable that supports HDMI 2.0b to support up to 4K 60 Hz with HDR would be good.  This adapter meets that criteria, and it's of course cheaper than the "mini-dock" I linked earlier.  I haven't tested that adapter with the XPS 13 9300 specifically, but StarTech is a well known brand among IT pros and general tech enthusiasts because they have a reputation for making consistently quality products.

Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@Tpholloway  Sorry, totally forgot to address the BIOS question after all of that!  The latest BIOS as of this writing, which just came out yesterday, can be downloaded here.  But as an easier and more comprehensive general solution, just install Dell Update from here.  It's basically Windows Update for drivers and firmware, so you can use that at any time to see whether there are any updates available for your system.  You might find that the new BIOS solves your issue without you having to buy anything else -- although that "mini-dock" I mentioned in my previous reply is a great thing to have on hand when you have a system that only has USB-C ports (which is one of the reasons I'm grateful to have a system with dual USB-C/TB3 ports AND a nice set of other ports.)  Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

This is amazing information. I don't know who you are or what you do, but you are seriously amazing. Thank you so much. 

To the BIOS thing. I went ahead and did the install and restarted and it did not change my situation. I will probably go ahead and get that Anker Dock as I have used and loved Anker products in the past! 

What kind of system do you have that has so many ports? Thank you so much for your advice about future proofing and for your advice on each of the ports that is on the mini dock, this is literally so much information that I will be keeping and using for a long time to come. Thanks again @jphughan 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@Tpholloway  Thanks for the kind words!  I've worked in various IT roles over the last 15 years or so, and I'm a tech hobbyist in general.  Helping people on forums like this one is sort of my way of doing pro bono work to do some good in the world. 🙂  Things have definitely been busier this year with so many people unexpectedly finding themselves needing to set up home offices and needing to know what to buy, why what they have isn't working as expected, etc.!

I'm a big fan of Anker products myself.  Between myself and my wife (who normally travels a lot for work), we've got their USB battery packs, wall chargers, LOTS of their cables, and a handful of their multi-purpose adapters like the one I just linked.  The only product of their that has ever failed me was one of their Lightning cables due to the gold contacts wearing off on the Lightning connector, but it was covered by a lifetime warranty, so they asked me for a photo of the damage and of the serial number of the cable (which was printed on the jacket), and they sent me a new one.  Easy peasy.

The system I referred to earlier is a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme Gen 2.  It's basically the only direct competitor to the XPS 15 (other than Apple systems).  I had an XPS 15 9530 before, but when I was looking to replace that system, the XPS 15 7590 was using a years-old chassis that still only had one USB-C/TB3 port, which didn't make sense to me to buy in late 2019, and then the new XPS 15 9500 came out and ONLY had USB-C/TB3 ports, which didn't thrill me either.  There are also a few design gripes I have with the latest XPS systems, particularly the relocation of the Home/End keys from the arrow keys to the top row of the keyboard, which has generated a TON of complaints from power users who rely on those keys.  And there are some other things.  I wrote up a thread about that here.  I guess Dell is trying to compete more directly with Apple and therefore felt that going all USB-C/TB3 was ok, but as an IT pro and general power user, I like having different types of ports so I don't need a dongle for almost every single thing I might want to plug into my system -- and I like having more than 2-3 ports overall.  Of course having a docking station at home and that Anker mini-dock I mentioned can take the sting out of that type of thing, but again, sometimes it's nice to just be able to plug something right into your system.  And that was just one of several reasons I went with the X1 Extreme rather than another XPS 15.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I have a brand new Dell XPS 13 9300 with the latest bios (1.2.0), it doesn't work with the two external monitors I have at home. One is an old Dell 30" (2560x1600) with a Foinnex USB-C to DP cable with PD injection, works great with an old Macbook pro and HP Elitebook, but not with the Dell XPS 13 9300. Not even the power delivery works (the laptop doesn't show as being charged). The second monitor is a brand new Odyssey G9 (5120x1440) with a Moshi USB-C to DP cable, which works great with the HP but not with the Dell XPS 13 9300. 😞

What do I have to do in order to get it to work? Buy a new cable?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution
@Per from Sweden, After the update to Firmware 1.2, my XLS 13 9300 finally found the external monitor. However, it sends a 640*480 image to a 4K monitor. It is obviously not able to process the billboard information from the display and jumps back to the default resolution for unknown displays. I was in contact with Dell's service in Germany the last couple of day. They did some remote diagnosis and confirmed the problem. They assumed that the problem may be my USB-C to DP cable and sent me a Dell USB-C to DP port adapter (at zero costs, thank you!) for use with a DP to DP cable, which I first needed to buy, so I still had to spend some more money and time. Using the Dell original adapter brought the same result: 640*480 external resolution. In other words, there is no solution. Dell just blew it massively.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Re: XPS-13 (9300) - A good USB-C Hub

Jump to solution

On that front, I just bought this adapter. There are a variety of these types of adapters on the market depending on what connectors you want and what you're willing to spend, but I picked that one because it includes everything I need and also includes support for the latest and/or greatest iterations of each underlying technology. Specifically, it includes:

- USB-C power passthrough for power sources up to 100W, whereas some only support up to 60W inputs. (Note however that this adapter will "skim" 15W from the source to run itself, so if you want to keep supplying the XPS 13's full 45W to it, you'll want a USB-C power source that can supply 60W or more. Those aren't difficult to find. Or you can just plug the XPS 13's adapter directly into a different port and use this adapter without external power, which works, except that you might not be able to use high-powered USB peripherals through it, such as USB-powered hard drives.)
- USB-C data port that supports up to USB 3.x Gen 2 (10 Gbps). Most adapters only support 5 Gbps or don't have a USB-C data port at all.
- USB-A "regular USB" ports that also support 10 Gbps rather than the much more common 5 Gbps.
- HDMI output that supports HDMI 2.0b output for up to 4K 60 Hz HDR (when paired with a system that supports DisplayPort 1.4 over USB-C, which the XPS 13 9300 does). Most adapters today only support up to 4K 30 Hz because they only support DisplayPort 1.2 over USB-C input from the system.
- Ethernet
- SD and MicroSD

=============================

@jphughan  ,

Thanks for the recommendation, as that is an impressive feature-list for a little inexpensive hub.

Yes, I have also found that the Anker devices to be a step above other no-name/generic devices. I have purchased various Anker devices before and use them on my Apple computers with success. So, I ordered one of these Anker USB-C Hubs for my XPS-13 (9300) and will give it a try.

I also plan to install the new v1.2.0 BIOS on the XPS-13.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Re: XPS-13 (9300) - A good USB-C Hub

Jump to solution

@Tesla1856  Glad you found my recommendation worthwhile.  Judging by your link, it appears you bought the same one. 🙂  I've bought Anker wall chargers, power banks, and cables for a while, although more recently I've been straying to one of their big competitors (RAVPower) because Anker seems to be falling behind a bit in the high wattage USB PD game.  RAVPower has a 90W dual port USB-C wall charger that's small due to GaN tech, supports all common voltage levels (5, 9, 12, 15, 20), and also supports multiple wattage output splits between its two ports: 90/0, 45/45, and 60/30.  Anker doesn't have anything quite like that.  I have a dual port 60W charger of theirs from a while ago that can do 60W out of either port when used alone, but when both ports are active, both are limited to 30W.  It won't do a 45/15 split, for example.  It seems they have a newer one that will, but it's still only 60W total.

And then 2 days ago I got a RAVPower power bank with 20,000 mAh capacity and the ability to output at up to 60W via USB-C, which means it's usable for charging my laptop.  (It also has an 18W USB-A port, with total output across both ports limited to 60W.)  Compared to my iPhone X, this power bank is the same height, slightly narrower, and only as wide as a USB-A port -- and it's even pretty light.  Anker doesn't have anything quite like this either.  They have a 26,800 mAh power bank that can do 45W output, but it's currently only sold with a 60W charger that I don't need, and apparently 60W and 100W max variants of that bank are in the works, but they'll be a lot more expensive and they're larger than I'd want to deal with.

But Anker's PowerLine III cables are great.  The 6ft 100W USB-C cable is so close to the thinness of equivalent 60W cables that you wouldn't be able to tell them apart unless you had them side by side and were looking very closely, and they finally have Lightning to USB-C cables in 1-foot length, which I like for carrying with my power bank to avoid unneeded cable slack.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

Jump to solution

@marrk42  I commend you for your hackery there.  I'm just disappointed to hear that it wasn't rewarded.  Sorry! 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Well that was a short-lived victory.

After installing 1.2.0 things worked great.  For a day.  I got 4k at 60hz on my connected monitor, no problem.

I worked in another room for a while on the laptop with no monitor connected.

When I came back to my monitor and plugged in one of three things would happen-

The XPS will only recognize a maximum resolution of 1920x1080.
The XPS will only recognize a maximum resolution of 3840x2160 @30hz
The XPS won't display any video at all.

Uplugging/replugging/rebooting seems to generate any one of these three outcomes.

So I guess I'm waiting for that November update now.  Rad.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Ok we all waited a long time for BIOS 1.2.0 to find out that only the EC gets an update.

from version 1.0.5 to 1.0.6 and firmware 1.0.11 is still used in the Windows Device Manager.
myself have tested all third party cable providers that I have all now work as expected.

I think that I already mentioned the reference to the EC in this thread at the beginning and 2 months later there will be a patch 🙂
Let us all still affected help to get the rest of the docks running.EC update OnlyEC update Only

Thanks to everyone who supported us in the forum up to this point, thanks also to Dell for their support.

Best _Shade_

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

"thanks also to Dell for their support."

This is a joke, right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution
You know what sarcasm is. You are right but I made it badly recognizable. To all of you who still have problems with your anchor docks, please try to install the old Windows device manager firmware 1.0.6 how to do it I described it here in the thread. It could be a solution for you. My post about the EC firmware was from 06/10/2020 but it took Dell 3 months to now admit 1.0.6 which in reality maybe only 1.0.1 is only with a new version number that I am currently trying to check.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

I guess a lesson learnt is that don't buy into the first generation of a new platform from Dell. I guess the upcoming Tiger Lake refresh of the 9300 will be far more stable upon launch since it essentially builds upon the 9300 and the issues which have been discovered and frustratingly slow to fix over the past months. Then again, I might be wrong.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

This is a long shot, but of those of you who said 1.2.0 fixed your USBC->HDMI adapters, are any of you running Ubuntu or are you all on Windows?

I'm one of the few who saw no change at all with 1.2.0 on Ubuntu, and I'm wondering if some BIOS/OS interaction is to blame.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I work in Ubuntu (20.04), and after installing BOIS update 1.2.0  I could run 4K 60Hz monitor using USB-C -> DP port adapter. But USB-C -> HDMI port adapter still doesn't work for me in Ubuntu.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I use Ubuntu 20.04 and 1.2.0  bios. USB-C to mini-displayport adapter (for Apple 27" display) still does not work. Sound and webcam build in display work with the adapter. USB memory sticks also work.

Display works fine with older dell XPS model (that has a native mini-displayport).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same here. Does it was fixed or you guys still have the problem? I want to connect 2 monitors to my XPS, but only display port works, the HDMI one don't. @dell-hi @BlipBloop  Did you guys solved that problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer work

Jump to solution

I'm STILL having this issue, despite the latest Bios update. Beyond a joke at this point...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

something that worked for me, every time I update the Bios my dell WD19 130W docking station stops working and windows says it is unsupported.
By disconnecting the power supply that goes to the dock itself for 5 seconds and then reconnecting it all of a sudden will start to work (until the next bios update)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Anyone have any idea what this output from "fwupdmgr get-devices" means?

├─Thunderbolt Controller:
│ Device ID: fd9841ea958cd0288e917ee113ddb4b2843dca52
│ Summary: Unmatched performance for high-speed I/O
│ Current version: 80.00
│ Update Error: Missing non-active nvmem
│ GUID: e72e778e-94f7-5ed2-b560-1c1262ee217c
│ Device Flags: • Internal device
│ • Requires AC power

Specifically the "Update Error" line? My current working theory is that while my firmware is 1.2.0, the Thunderbolt controller's own firmware never got updated, and that could be the cause of the HDMI issues I'm still seeing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I raised a bug about fwupd and included in that I asked a question about that specific error message. See my question and the subsequent responses at https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/issues/2212#issuecomment-647895909. In summary, that particular message text is not a bug and the text was fixed in current version of fwupd.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for that info, @bulletmark. Good to know.

I spent a few hours yesterday setting up a live install of Windows on a bootable USB drive.

I ran through every possible system update that the official Windows "Dell Updater" would do.  I even re-flashed the 1.2.0 BIOS.

My thinking was that Windows users are given more attention than Linux users by Dell's support and engineering teams, and that maybe they forgot to include some firmware updates in the Linux packages. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to tell Dell's support team "Thanks, but - again - that's a Windows update utility and won't run on Ubuntu" so I didn't just pull this theory out of the air 🙂

So anyway, my findings are that no version numbers changed anywhere and I wasted a few hours.

Thunderbolt NVM firmware is still at 80.0.  Thunderbolt retimer firmware is still 31.0.0.

HDMI performance is still unreliable, and I still never know what my reported max resolution will be each time I plug in a USB-C to HDMI adapter.  Sometimes it's 3840x2160 @60hz.  But sometimes it's only at 30hz.  Sometimes the max resolution is 1920x1080.  Sometimes it's 1280x800.  Sometimes it's just no signal at all.

I mostly love this laptop but trying to use it with any kind of external display is just a mess.

0 Kudos