Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 19th, 2020 20:00

XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer work

Hi there,

Just updated my BIOS to 1.0.10   this morning. It apparently updates the firmware of the TB3/USB Type-C port. Probably solves some Power Delivery issues. 

Unfortunately, after the update, DisplayPort is no longer working properly over USB Type-C. I have tried four different adapters, and only one works sporadically after the update.

2020-05-20 (3).png2020-05-20 (4).png

I did a search on Reddit and apparently I am not alone.

I am unable to downgrade the BIOS back to 1.0.7 despite having "allow bios downgrade" option enabled in BIOS. Some of the updated firmware do not roll back.

Anyone having these issues too?

11 Posts

December 8th, 2020 07:00

That was like three weeks ago.  Did the motherboard swap help?

20 Posts

December 9th, 2020 07:00

Glad to hear this!

I'm waiting for my own replacement to occur, but DELL seems to have a few supply issues in the UK, so hopefully by the end of the month, after 6 months of DELL support beating around the bush, I should be able to enjoy a computer that works. I'll report back.

20 Posts

December 21st, 2020 11:00

Same here, motherboard replaced and now it works with 1.4.1, wasn't working before with the same BIOS version.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

December 21st, 2020 11:00

Update:Running BIOS 1.4.1 now.. no issues with Thunderbolt3 since after the motherboard has been replaced. 

20 Posts

January 28th, 2021 10:00

Hello,

I have had a MB swap too and it fixed my USB-C docking station problems. However, I just bought a Caldigit TS3 plus, and while it works well on Windows, it is not the case on Linux.

Can I ask you which model you have? (4k display? 32GB RAM?)

Thank you!

9 Posts

August 16th, 2021 04:00

If only that were my issue... its very similar... Dell bios upgrade has effectively killed my USB-C port all together, it no longer HAS a firmware version on the controller...  with the laptop being out of warranty dell basically couldn't care less about it.. knew I should have ignored the fact that dell recommended the upgrade..

Last dell equipment I buy for me or my company.. back to IBM in future me thinks...

jazuk1970_1-1629114850652.jpeg

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

August 16th, 2021 05:00

>>If only that were my issue... its very similar... Dell bios upgrade has effectively killed my USB-C port all together, it no longer HAS a firmware version on the controller...  with the laptop being out of warranty dell basically couldn't care less about it.. knew I should have ignored the fact that dell recommended the upgrade..

Try contacting Dell technical support - I got response in a couple of hours, had MB replaced a couple of days later. Super happy with the result. 

>>Last dell equipment I buy for me or my company.. back to IBM in future me thinks...

My personal experience is that Dell's online tech support is usually great. They don't bounce you around asking to power cycle your laptop, just go straight for the root cause, my tech visits were all scheduled either next business day or 2nd business day and they usually have all the parts they need available. YMMV. good luck.

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

August 16th, 2021 05:00

>>I have had a MB swap too and it fixed my USB-C docking station problems. However, I just bought a Caldigit TS3 plus, and while it works well on Windows, it is not the case on Linux.

>>Can I ask you which model you have? (4k display? 32GB RAM?)

Yes, XPS 9300 4k display, 32gb ram (Developer Edition with Linux) - works perfectly with CalDigit TS3 Plus. All fixed after Dell has replaced the motherboard.

No Events found!