Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: XPS 13 9300, BIOS 1.0.10, USB Type-C to DP adapters no longer work

Hi @_Shade_ , not an ideal solution, but the CableMatters adapter I highlighted previously can run my 1440p monitor at 144hz. Presumably it should run 240hz as well as long as within the spec of DP 1.4

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi, @describee 

I believe you when you say that your adapter works well. The real problem is that Dell brings out a bios update with forced update and a large part of the adapter no longer works.
I myself have invested around € 75 in adapters and they still don't work on the XPS 13 9300.
On the day I got the notebook I was happy and tested all of my adapters and they worked.
Well a few weeks later BIOS update nothing works !!!
I have so much time spend in the installation and research that I would roughly say 150 € per hour that Dell would have to check out the whole notebook.
All the support calls etc.

Dell please bring out a firmware that fixes everything so that we are all happy.

Can't be that difficult with such a big company

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Seriously, Dell should refund everyone in this thread the full invoice value of their XPS 13 9300. I've wasted so much time debugging and talking to Dell about this issue that I'm now at a net-loss for buying this laptop.

<legalistic>

I've never been able to achieve a successful 4k @ 60Hz connection from the day I received this machine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

@Tesla1856 Your issue with the failed Intel ME firmware update is really quite strange, given that I had no issues on my first unit as well as the replacement I received recently.

---------------------------

@describee ,

Agreed.

If you run MSINFO32 on yours, what are the values for:

Processor
BaseBoard (all 3)

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@Tesla1856 

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz, 1498 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.

BaseBoard Product 077Y9N

BaseBoard Version A00

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@Tesla1856 ,

her is my Hardware Rev. 

CPU BIOS REV.CPU BIOS REV.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have a brand new i5 9300 unboxed yesterday on 1.0.6.  I am pairing it with my CalDigit TB3.  Right now, it woks great, but I have NOT downloaded any Windows updates since I don't know how to keep the Dell Firmware from popping into the list.  I delayed the updates for the 5 day limit.

Can someone help me with the proper way to keep the firmware from auto updating and potentially ruining my working setup, but also allow the other Windows updates to occur?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@ClawSS2 

welcome to our thread, yes you can block the driver updates via windows update.
There are instructions on the internet for this. 🙂

I only know that you have to enter something in the windows registry.
And
something has to be changed via gpedit.msc in the windows update settings

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@ClawSS2 boot into bios, go to security and disable the "UEFI Capsule Firmware Updates"

Will prevent windows update from installing the bios. 

Thanks @describee for the tip 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@LiquidIce012 & @describee ... Thanks to both of you.  I was able to stop the BIOS update and stay where I was but receive the other Windows updates.  I doubled down with wushowhide.diagcab to also HIDE the updates until a "fix" is found.

I will keep monitoring this thread for a better BIOS update that is verified by all of you fine folks dealing with the issue in hopes that the frustration does not build into a "return point".  Thank to everyone now and in the future.

0 Kudos