Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

117 Posts

March 19th, 2020 08:00

XPS 13 9300 -- Issue with Thunderbolt 3 dock

Hi there, I am using a Caldigit Mini Thunderbolt 3 dock and am experiencing a compatibility issue with the USB ports on the dock (the HDMI connections work fine).

Basically, any device which I plug into the USB ports seem to work only sporadically. Sometimes, I get the device malfunctioned error; other times, nothing at all.

I have updated all the drivers and enabled all Thunderbolt 3 related options in the BIOS.

Any idea what could be the issue here and how I could go about troubleshooting this? The USB ports on the TB3 dock works fine with my desktop computer (also running Windows 10).

I saw there have been some posts regarding TB3 compatibility on this laptop... seems like the TB3 controller might need an update or something? Could this be related?

Many thanks!

• 

16.7K Posts

March 19th, 2020 09:00

describee,

You may want to check out the website of the Caldigit Dock for any possible firmware update. Make sure you update the systems bios as well from the link here.

117 Posts

March 20th, 2020 10:00

Thank you. After speaking to support and trying on other Tb3 laptops, I have come to the conclusion that the issue is with the dock.

How do I close the service request?

1 Message

June 30th, 2020 09:00

I have the same problem with the Caldigit TS3+. Here are details:

When I plug the TS3+ into the 9300 using the supplied Caldigit cable using the "computer" port, power cycles on and off randomly every few seconds. I have a video of this.
    When I disconnect the TS3+ the 9300 CPU is pegged for a while until the computer dies with a BSOD. I have a picture of this.
    When I connect the 9300 to the downstream port on the TS3+ all of the other ports work correctly (the displays and USB ports) but of course the TS3 doesn't charge because the downstream port doesn't supply enough power.
    The TS3+ works fine with an XPS13 9380.
    The 9300 works fine with the dell supplied charger.

Summary: Since the TS3+ works fine with other laptops and specifically the 9380 and works fine with the 9300 when using the downstream port, there is apparently a incompatibility between the 9300 and the TS3+ with power delivery.

Personally, I suspect that Dell has a bug in the PD implementation on the 9300, but it might be a bug in the TS3+.

I've raised an issue with both Dell and Caldigit. So far no positive results.

No Events found!