Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2020 23:00

XPS 13 9300 and WD19TB linux problem

Hi everyone,

I have some trouble with my Dell XPS 13 9300 and the WD19TB thunderbolt dock.

At the time I bought the notebook there was no developer editon available here in Germany so
I installed Ubuntu 20.04 myself with dual boot. The notebook itself works like a charm. But the WD19TB keeps troubling me:

- The external monitors work only if they are connected at boot time. Later connecting thunderbolt to the running system does not give me a signal on the external monitors.

- Even if the dock is connected at boot time the external monitors often lose the signal, went black and never come back. Connected USB devices like keyboard and mouse will come back and can be used after some seconds. I need to reboot the system to get my external monitors to work again.

On some days I can use the external monitors for hours without problem, on others I can barley use them at all.

If the monitors disconnect the following message is found in the system log:[drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe B FIFO underrun

I tried the following: Disable Monitor Sleep, Disabling CPU sleep modes, Newer Kernels (5.4.x up to the newest 5.6.x), even other linux distros via live USB. All had the same problem. I also tried a different WD19TB and using the other thunderbolt port on the XPS.

Under Windows there are no such problems, everything works like a charm. But I can't do my work there.

Bios and WD19TB Firmware are the lastest versions available from Dell

Thanks for reading, any help appreciated

August 25th, 2020 03:00

I have similar issues with the same hardware on Ubuntu 20.04. The external monitors occasionally go blank without any apparent reason. Sometimes they come back immediately. Sometimes unplugging the dock helps. Sometimes I need to reboot. This is really annoying. I mean, this is high-end hardware running on an OS it should actually be designed for. Please, DELL, help us.

September 1st, 2020 01:00

Dell support also asked me to test in on Windows because this was the pre-installed system. I'm not even sure how to respond to that, as I had previously made it clear that I specifically bought the XPS 13 due to its compatibility with Linux and that I would have bought the DE with pre-installed Ubuntu if it had been available in my country.

Has anyone else made any progress on this subject?

47 Posts

September 1st, 2020 03:00

No progress in spite of researching all over the place about XPS 13 9300 and WD19TB issues.

I am hanging out for the new BIOS 1.2.0 which is supposed to be released on 04-Sep as per other discussions around here. Hopefully that may fix at least some of the problems.

September 1st, 2020 04:00

Ok, thanks for the info on the BIOS release!

3 Posts

September 2nd, 2020 06:00

Yeah getting somewhat the same.

I appreciate that I installed Linux on the laptop, however you (Dell) do also provide a "developer" edition of the Dell XPS-13 which comes with Ubuntu, which I assume would have exactly the same issue - so you (Dell) should be interested in when your product(s) have issues working with each other.

*IF* the Dock does work with your Developer Edition of the XPS-13 is there any specific way you got it working?  If not, helping to resolve our issue here will save you time when trying to support those developer editions later.

3 Posts

September 3rd, 2020 16:00

Well, the engineer has just come back and said; "With the displays working fine in Windows, I am afraid that I would not be able to do much on the Linux platform".

So it looks like there is no support for Linux users with the WD19TB dock, at least from an official standpoint.

Disappointed in that to say the least.

5 Posts

September 4th, 2020 10:00

I'm having the same issue. I've updated to today's 1.20 BIOS, lets see if the situation improves. If i unplug and plug the dock again all monitors stop working but at least if the random disconnect stops its something.

I bought the laptop recently and already regretting since Dell basically neglect to give users any support, even if they are on a DE edition which comes with Ubuntu, i should've gone with a MacBook...

September 7th, 2020 06:00

Currently trying the new BIOS version. Will give an update on my experiences in a few days.

47 Posts

September 7th, 2020 20:00

I updated to BIOS 1.2.0 about 2.5 days ago. I have been optimistic until now as the dock has appeared to work more reliably but I am sad to say I just got 2 blackouts within a minute when my machine was under load (running Virtualbox in this case). It did not recover after the second blackout so I had to unplug/replug the dock, as I have experienced plenty of times before. I am on Arch Linux with kernel 5.8.7 and had also patched my CPU microcode to 0x9e (BIOS 1.2.0 patches it from 0x78 to 0x96).

2 Posts

September 16th, 2020 12:00

I borrowed an additional WD19TB dock to see if it was something funny hardware-wise. The second dock behaved exactly the same: blinking, monitors disconnecting, not seeing display source without reboot, freezing.

I told a co-worker about this and he suggested I use a OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock. 2 days now and it hasn't blinked, not yet anyway (​Using Ubuntu Linux 20.04 with BIOS 1.2.0); so far I'm cautiously optimistic.

Needless to say, Dell docks are a bit of a bad word at my workplace. We've encountered chronic issues with them regardless of whether one uses Windows or Linux.

September 17th, 2020 12:00

I also have to report that updating the BIOS didn't improve anything

5 Posts

September 19th, 2020 14:00

Hello guys, I have an intriguing discovery to share.

I've just did the most basic simple stuff, unplugged one of my monitors and guess what? Now the dock is working perfectly. And that is where things get weird.

If I try to use my Dell 1440p on DisplayPort I have all the same issues, but if I try to use ONLY my Alienware 1080p on HDMI it does work flawless, i've put the computer to sleep, plugged, unplugged, tuned the dock off and on again, leave it for 20 minutes, put the laptop to sleep, everything. I didn't break it, it just worked fine.

Somehow i think the issue is related to the DP ports on the back, I don't know for sure because i've only have two monitor and those cables are a mess, I cannot try my Alienware on HDMI or my Dell on DP.

I want to try a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter on the TB port on the dock for the other screen because it would use another TB lane and another converter (not the one inside the dock), maybe that is a workaround. I'll keep you guys updated.

September 20th, 2020 11:00

Interesting. I am also experiencing the problems with two monitors plugged to the DP of the dock. If this turns out to be true, maybe Dell engineers could even fix the problem in the next firmware update ... ?

September 21st, 2020 08:00

I am now also trying the setup proposed by @h0m3 . One external monitor is directly connected to the dock via the HDMI port, the second external monitor is connected via a USB-C to DP adapter which is connected to the thunderbolt port of the dock. So far so good. I'll keep you posted.

September 22nd, 2020 12:00

Surprisingly, it seems to work!!! I have not experienced any of the usual problems so far. Please, Dell, have your engineers look into this. As discovered by @h0m3, there seems to be a problem with the WD19TB dock when using its DP ports together with an XPS 13 9300 running Ubuntu Linux (20.04). Most likely, the same issues will also appear in different configurations with Linux. The problems seem to go away when connecting the external monitors to the HDMI port or via a thunderbolt adapter instead of the DP ports. @h0m3, can you confirm this?
No Events found!