Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

4 Posts

March 29th, 2020 14:00

XPS 13 9300, LCD flickers, off on

Hi guys

I took delivery of a new XPS 13 a few days ago (Thursday) and to say I was delighted with it is an understatement. However, yesterday the screen has developed a major issue where it flickers on/off/on, scrambles, then goes off followed by a display of random wavy lines etc. I restarted a few times and didn’t affect it.

It displays fine during the Dell boot sequence, it only seems to be an issue when booting into Windows. I went in and did a Windows reset, again all the way through the bios etc the display was completely fine, but as soon as the new windows intro appears the same thing is happening. On the windows setup it seemed to flicker when using the touchpad but then froze and wouldn’t let me complete the setup. Forced restarting again works until Windows appears. Bios scan of hardware etc says there isn’t any issues?!

Any ideas of what I can try to resolve this? Have emailed Dell support but as it’s the weekend I’ve not had a reply yet - desperate to get sorted as I don’t really have time to get without a laptop while working from home at the moment...

Gutted after such a good start!

1 Message

March 29th, 2020 17:00

This worked for my 9380 although it only had an occasional flicker not your other symptoms: Dell XPS 13 9380 screen flickering Search for Intel Graphics Control Panel/Command Center When it opens click the Power icon (or System then Power in Command Center) Under change settings for the plan, change Panel Self Refresh to Disabled Save Profile Can't remember if you need to restart or not.

4 Posts

March 30th, 2020 02:00

thanks - unfortunately the screen stops (think laptop still runs ok) so I can’t see to do anything, also can’t get it to boot into safe mode

46 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 11:00

I also have an issue with my display flickering garbled horizontal lines here and there... I noticed it out of the box and hoped it was a driver issue that would be fixed, but it's becoming more frequent. (maybe 2-3 times a day?)

It's at any time, usually within Windows, whether it's on battery or a/c power. I'm wondering if this is a sign of a driver issue that needs to be fixed, or a faulty video chip or connection...

Let's hope more people respond on this to see if the issue is more wide-spread or not.

Edit: @Hal56 thanks for your suggestion - I've tried it, and will update here whether I notice a difference!

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 12:00

My issue turned out to be the motherboard, so had to be sent back to Dell for it to be replaced. Has worked fine since.

10 Posts

July 6th, 2020 14:00

I do have the same issue and it seems to be getting worse.

The garbled horizontal line flicker for a tenth of a second.

Just happened again as I was typing.

10 Posts

July 8th, 2020 11:00

Hi,

I tried to follow your advice but at the Dell Command center I can't reach the options you described.

It is stuck under a general "Games" tab and all choices (settings etc) are related to games.

Bummed. I love my computer but this issue is unacceptable.

Will appreciate any ideas/guidance.

18 Posts

July 8th, 2020 18:00

Finally I got a replacement and after 1/2 day of testing, it is running ok and only found the sound issue reported by the other folks. I suspect the display problem is on the hardware as the new machine is using the same BIOS and drivers. 

Anyway, it is a nightmare experiences, I purchased quite a lot of laptops other than Dell and this is the first one that had so many issue. The customer services is very bad too. If someone from Dell is looking into this thread, you should report this to your company and take some proper actions to fix all issues. 

10 Posts

July 15th, 2020 08:00

They are still at the "caring via messages" stage for me.

Routine tests/diagnostics that you can do via a quick google search.

I can't understand their persistence of not sending a new unit. 

Every other reputable company does that. Dell penny pinches instead.

This will definitely be my LAST Dell purchase. It is great until you need support and genuinely caring customer service. Amazon is Amazon for a reason.

2 Posts

September 28th, 2020 03:00

I do have the same issue 

No Events found!