Highlighted
1 Copper

XPS 13 9300 display issue

Hi guys

I took delivery of a new XPS 13 a few days ago (Thursday) and to say I was delighted with it is an understatement. However...... yesterday the screen has developed a major issue where it flickers on/off/on, scrambles, then goes off followed by a display of random wavy lines etc. I restarted a few times and didn’t affect it.

It displays fine during the Dell boot sequence, it only seems to be an issue when booting into Windows. I went in and did a Windows reset, again all the way through the bios etc the display was completely fine, but as soon as the new windows intro appears the same thing is happening. On the windows setup it seemed to flicker when using the touchpad but then froze and wouldn’t let me complete the setup. Forced restarting again works until Windows appears. Bios scan of hardware etc says there isn’t any issues?!

Any ideas of what I can try to resolve this? Have emailed Dell support but as it’s the weekend I’ve not had a reply yet - desperate to get sorted as I don’t really have time to ge without a laptop while working from home at the moment...

Gutted after such a good start!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 9300 display issue

This worked for my 9380 although it only had an occasional flicker not your other symptoms: Dell XPS 13 9380 screen flickering Search for Intel Graphics Control Panel/Command Center When it opens click the Power icon (or System then Power in Command Center) Under change settings for the plan, change Panel Self Refresh to Disabled Save Profile Can't remember if you need to restart or not.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

thanks - unfortunately the screen stops (think laptop still runs ok) so I can’t see to do anything, also can’t get it to boot into safe mode 🙁

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I also have an issue with my display flickering garbled horizontal lines here and there... I noticed it out of the box and hoped it was a driver issue that would be fixed, but it's becoming more frequent. (maybe 2-3 times a day?)

It's at any time, usually within Windows, whether it's on battery or a/c power. I'm wondering if this is a sign of a driver issue that needs to be fixed, or a faulty video chip or connection...

Let's hope more people respond on this to see if the issue is more wide-spread or not.

Edit: @Hal56 thanks for your suggestion - I've tried it, and will update here whether I notice a difference!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

My issue turned out to be the motherboard, so had to be sent back to Dell for it to be replaced. Has worked fine since.

0 Kudos