Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

6 Posts

April 26th, 2020 04:00

XPS 13 9300 throttling when battery is low?

I've recently received my XPS 13 9300 (13", 1065G7, FHD) and I am very happy with it so far. The only thing that has been bugging me slightly is a sudden drop in performance when battery is getting low. This is happening in both Windows and Linux, rebooting doesn't help either. I'm on the newest BIOS version (1.0.7).

I tried to reproduce an exact charge, but it seems to happen somewhere between 13% and 19% of battery left. CPU speeds will never exceed 1.3 GHz which is the base speed of my CPU. If I put load on all cores simultaneously, it'll be at around 1 GHz. Package wattage will never exceed 5W, compared to 15W under normal conditions.

Everything returns to normal as soon as I plug my charger in.

Can anyone confirm this happens on their laptop too? Is this normal behaviour for Intel CPUs or is it a Dell feature?

I will add I've tried every option in Dell's power manager, also in both Linux and Windows power settings with no effect. If this is actually supposed to be a feature it would be nice to have an option to activate this later as 15% battery left means about one and a half hour of web browsing. Any help would be appreciated

6 Posts

April 27th, 2020 10:00

Dell has confirmed this apparently is intended behaviour. Anyone else experiencing this? I'd love to be able to work until my battery runs out, not until my laptop decides to throttle my CPU so hard that performance is slowing to a crawl.

6 Posts

April 27th, 2020 11:00

Have you tried changing Thermal Setting to "Ultra Performance" in Dell Power Manager app?

6 Posts

April 27th, 2020 11:00

I've tried all settings in Power Manager with no result. These mostly apply to situations where load is high and sustained, however for me this behaviour happens when battery is low, irrespective of actual load.

17 Posts

May 24th, 2020 13:00

I have it too to the point that my $2000 machine feels like a 6-years old laptop while there's still plenty of juice to burn. I really hope there'll be a BIOS setting for this.

XPS 9300 is disappointing in a number of fields, two of which (fn-left/right and cpu throttling) could be addressed with a flick of Dell's finger.

1 Message

March 23rd, 2021 02:00

Did you manage to find a solution yet?

The Bios installed is version 1.4.1.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

March 23rd, 2021 03:00

That's crazy. Going under 20% is bad for the battery.

The reason systems do that is because when the battery is almost drained it can't output as much power so it needs to throttle it down.

Solution - Use the device when the battery is charged at higher levels.

No Events found!