Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

20 Posts

March 6th, 2020 12:00

XPS 13 9300 thunderbolt 3 issue

Hi, I have bought the new XPS 13 9300 and I wanted to connect it to my ultrawide monitor. I have tried 3 different ways: usb-c, thunderbolt (my monitor has a tb3 input) and through a TB dock. In all 3 ways the laptop would start and stop charging frequently and also disconnect from the external monitor. What I noticed is that this problem would go away as soon as I plug in the charger. Which shouldn't be the case as my monitor as well as the dock provide 85w. What could be the problem? I am going crazy as this was the reason to buy the XPS 

20 Posts

March 6th, 2020 19:00

The dock is the Caldigit TS3 plus. However, the laptop should be able to charge and display on an external TB3 monitor with only one cable, or?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 6th, 2020 19:00

And how is that a problem when the large monitor is restricted to the desk-use-only anyway?

Sounds like the little XPS-13 just wants some power.

What is make/model of Dock?

And please, one post per issue please. Let's use your thread here.

20 Posts

March 6th, 2020 21:00

Yes, but I don't want to have 2 cables on my laptop since one should be enough.

Firmwares are up to date.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 6th, 2020 21:00

OK, well the Caldigit TS3 Plus is pretty nice, and you should see some good compatibility. However, it sounds like it is working to your satisfaction, except for the power-handling.

Are both the Caldigit-TS3-Plus and XPS-13 (9300) both running the latest firmware ? 

20 Posts

March 6th, 2020 22:00

Yes. Actually it will start and stop over and over again the charging.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

So, if you power-up the Caldigit-TS3-Plus Dock, and then connect only the XPS-13 (9300) to it 
(no LG monitor or anything else connected) ...

... you are saying the dock will not power and/or charge the XPS-13 ?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

How about the firmware on the LG34wk95u ? (since it sounds like it is also connected in every system-connection scenario) 

20 Posts

I don't understand what you mean exactly. One purpuse of a dock is to supply power. However there seems to be a problem with the port of the laptop as it does "accept" the power from the dock.

20 Posts

I have done this as well. Generally I am an Update-Freak.

I think the problem is the XPS. and it's a shame because this thing costs 2000€

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I don't want to have 2 cables on my laptop since one should be enough.

-----------

Well, I have both the MacBookPro-15 (2018) and the new XPS-13 (9300) here. However, I have no high-end docks here at the moment (only a little hub, with no power-delivery).

Typically, you can't connect power-rails together. I'm not sure on USB-C/TB-3, but I would imagine that the connected devices negotiate, and the one they decide is most powerful ... supplies the power. What do you think?

Edit: I later found this. Looks like I might have guessed correctly, after all:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/connecting-tb3-to-multiple-power-sources.2128888/

20 Posts

March 6th, 2020 23:00

The XPS came with a 45w charger. The dock supports 85w charging through tb3. My monitor as well. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 6th, 2020 23:00

Understood. Let's examine this closer then.

My XPS-13 (9300) came with Dell AC-Adapter model: DA45NM180 and says 45w at the top.

1. What did you get with yours?

2. What is the max wattage of a USB-C port on the Caldigit-TS3-Plus Dock suppose to be?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 7th, 2020 16:00

Since the problem is just with the powering/charging of the XPS-13 (9300) , I think I came-up with a suitable test for you.

As it is also USB-C , I connected the 87w AC-Adapter (from my MacBook Pro 15 ) to my XPS-13 (9300) .

It works fine.

As soon as I connect it, the XPS-13 detects it. After about 30-seconds, it starts to charge the battery. I tested both USB-C ports on the XPS-13. I left it connected to each port for about 5-minutes, and it was steadily charging the whole time. Battery was around 75% full during tests.

Since your XPS-13 charges fine with the included 45w AC-Adapter, I would start looking elsewhere for problems, (maybe the dock or the USB-C cable itself).

117 Posts

March 7th, 2020 16:00

If you look at my other thread (based on the research I've done), it seems like a compatibility issue with the XPS 9300.

First, the TB3 dock and the monitor seems to be powered by their own power supplies, with the one on the TB3 dock being 180w in particular. It can even supply 85w to the XPS 9300.

Next, even if it doesn't charge, it's funny that the monitor is having issues showing a display when the laptop is in battery mode, given that the monitor is powered up on its own power supply.

Lastly, I did a search on the monitor's model name and it seems to work just fine with other XPS models. Going by this alone, there seems to be a bug in the TB3 implementation on the XPS 9300 which I wonder if Dell will ever fix.

To OP, is there any issues with charging through the caldigit dock if the monitor is not plugged in? All other peripherals attached to the dock works fine? You have tried display port to display port with the same issues? How about another monitor to the same dock? Does it work through a normal USB-C to dp (with pd pass through) dock Vs a tb3 dock?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 7th, 2020 20:00

To OP, is there any issues with charging through the caldigit dock if the monitor is not plugged in?

-------------------

I asked @jovaseq to try that (only the XPS-13 connected to the Caldigit-TS3-Plus Dock).

Apparently, there are some negotiations going on between any "smart" devices in the chain.

See my posts on the first page of this thread.

No Events found!