Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 13 9300 thunderbolt 3 issue

Hi, I have bought the new XPS 13 9300 and I wanted to connect it to my ultrawide monitor. I have tried 3 different ways: usb-c, thunderbolt (my monitor has a tb3 input) and through a TB dock. In all 3 ways the laptop would start and stop charging frequently and also disconnect from the external monitor. What I noticed is that this problem would go away as soon as I plug in the charger. Which shouldn't be the case as my monitor as well as the dock provide 85w. What could be the problem? I am going crazy as this was the reason to buy the XPS 

Labels (3)
89 Replies
Highlighted
7 Thorium

I came across this. Not that it really affects us with XPS-13 (at 45w), but interesting non-the-less:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Using-the-Dell-130W-USB-Type-C-charger-on-the-Dell-XPS-15-7590/m-...

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

1. well, today I discovered something.when the laptop is fully charged, everything works fine.

2. the dock charges it (when I connected my laptop, the battery was at 90%)

3. and the monitor is working perfectly.

--------------------------

1.  That is encouraging. So, it CAN work.

2. You know, in the BIOS, I saw extensive battery charging options. Those should be set to the defaults. If you have been changing them, or want to know how mine are set, I would be willing to record them and report back.

3. Good to hear. Although, I thought (for now) we were just trying to get the XPS-13 to charge properly, with only it connected to the dock.

- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@Tesla1856 thanx for your feedback. It would be great to send me your changes to bios regarding charging.

But just to clarify. The charging problem came out after I was trying to do a "one cable connection" with my monitor (with or without a dock).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

It would be great to send me your changes to bios regarding charging.

-----------------

Ok, here you go:

BIOS options for Power Management:
Wake on AC = OFF
Wake on Dell USB-C Dock = ON
Auto-On Time = Disabled
Block Sleep = OFF
Battery Charge Config = Adaptive (but Standard actually looks a bit more normal)
Advanced Battery Charge = OFF
Peak Shift = OFF
Control WLAN radio = OFF
Wake on LAN = Disabled
Intel Speed-Shift = ON
Lid Switch Power-on = ON

Highlighted
7 Thorium

To OP, is there any issues with charging through the caldigit dock if the monitor is not plugged in?

-------------------

I asked @jovaseq to try that (only the XPS-13 connected to the Caldigit-TS3-Plus Dock).

Apparently, there are some negotiations going on between any "smart" devices in the chain.

See my posts on the first page of this thread.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@Tesla1856 @jovaseq @describee 

I have some additional information which may help troubleshoot this issue that I am also having.

I am upgrading from the XPS 9350 to the 9300. 

My setup is an external monitor in extended mode along with a DC47 Dodocool thunderbolt dock. I never had any problems with my old XPS 9350, but my new 9300 connects and disconnects all the time. It's basically unusable. I've tried upgrading BIOS and the thunderbolt drivers but no dice. 

Once, I got it working for about an hour, but then it starts disconnecting again. I don't understand why it worked during this hour and not at other times.

So, if it works for my 9350 but not my 9300, I feel that it MUST be the 9300, unless I'm missing something.

I hope Dell or someone can help.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi @Philskies ,

Thanks for the info. After speaking with some people from Dell, they told me that the system works as intended. And basically they have approved a return/refund for me in case I would like to return it. 

It is weird though that a machine like this has this kind of issues. 

I am optimistic that these will be solved with bios and drivers updates. That is why I am not thinking of returning it at the moment.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@jovaseq Out of curiosity, I pored through the LG user manual again and I was wondering whether you have tried the following:

• Just to clarify, you are using the LG 5k2k monitor right? 34WK95U-W? Apparently the older models support only TB3 whereas the newer models support both TB3 and USB-C
  • Have you tried toggling between the various DisplayPort options on the monitor. I believe you can select between 1.4, 1.2, and 1.1. 1.4 should be applicable for the XPS 9300, but I was also wondering if changing to 1.2 or 1.1 would mitigate the problem.
  • If you lower the screen resolution, does it help?
  • I understand that USB-C and TB3 output on the monitor is provided using the same port. Just wondering if you have tried a pure USB-C to USB-C DisplayPort alt mode cable (i.e. not a TB3 cable) to see if it works? Or alternatively, disable the TB3 controller on the laptop and see if it works. Just so we isolate this issue as a TB3-only problem.
  • Have you tried on another laptop? If so, what model is this other laptop?
  • Have you tried contacting LG?

Also, can I just summarise the issues you face just for clarity (please let me know if my understanding is incorrect):

• Monitor to laptop directly (TB3 to TB3), with monitor plugged into mains -- no connection
  • Monitor to dock (using one TB3 to TB3 cable), dock to laptop (using one TB3 to TB3 cable), monitor plugged into mains and dock plugged into mains -- sporadic connection -- correct?
  • Monitor to dock (using DisplayPort-DisplayPort connection), dock to laptop with dock and monitor plugged into mains -- have you manged to test this yet? If this works fine, then you still essentially have one cable plugged into the laptop.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@jovaseq 

Thanks for your info also. I hope that Dell comes out with a fix for this too, but $2000+ may be too much to hope for a fix without any guarantees. The extended monitor is too important for me.

For now I think I will have to return it, and when/if it's fixed, I can buy it again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

@jovaseq 

Were you able to resolve this? I didn't see a solution reading through the thread. I've run into the exact same issues. I also have a TS3+ and recently purchased an XP 13 9300.

0 Kudos