Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 13 9300 thunderbolt 3 issue

Hey, not really. After speaking with people from Dell, I was informed that this is how the laptop should work. So, after talking to them, they were very kind to offer me a return and refund! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@jovaseq just curious, what did you decide to buy after the return?

It's good that they offered a refund though sad that they can't seem to do anything about it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi @describee ,

I ended up with an older, used laptop to do my job. I saved some bucks for sure. I didn't want to spend 2000 and be half-way to where I would like.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Hi @jml000 which monitor are you connecting to the TS3+?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

@describee I actually haven't tried to connect my monitor to the docking station yet and the power still connects and disconnects with the XPS 13 over and over again. The monitor I plan on connecting is an AOC 230LM00023. I was going to connect with an active hdmi to displayport adapter. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@Philskies which monitor are you using?

I had a caldigit mini dock briefly (subsequently sold it away because the usb ports didn't work properly but this seems more of an issue with the dock itself as it exhibited similar behaviour on my other devices) and my 4k TV seemed to work fine at 60Hz. I was also able to plug in two displays. Now I'm using a simpler USB-C to hdmi cable which seems to work fine too.

The XPS 13 has new ice lake graphics and supports dp 1.4 with hbr3 over usb c. Not sure if that is affecting anything.

Edit: are you sure it's a thunderbolt dock? Not to doubt you but I did a Google search and couldn't find any thunderbolt dock sold by that brand. otoh there is a usbc dock that is sold.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@describee 

I am using the Dell 49" U4919DW monitor.

The dock is this one https://www.dodocool.com/p-dc47b.html

It says it's Thunderbolt compatible and it's already worked with my older 9350, so why can't it work with the 9300?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@Philskies The dock that you are using is a USB-C hub. It's just that all Thunderbolt 3 ports are also compatible with USB-C devices.

In addition, your dock appears to be using the older HDMI 1.4 spec, which will support your monitor only at 5120x1440@30Hz (instead of 60Hz). You shouldn't even be using that dock to get the most out of your monitor. You should get a dock that supports HDMI 2.0 (which can output 4k@60Hz at the very least)

The U4919DW also supports connecting directly to your laptop via a USB-C data cable (e.g. using one of these https://www.amazon.com/Cable-QCEs-3-1-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B07T19KQYF/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywo...). Have you explored this option?

In any case, the fact that a Dell monitor has the same issue as a Samsung and LG monitor gives me some hope that Dell will be able to resolve this issue since I would expect a Dell-branded monitor to work just fine with a Dell-branded laptop!

With that being said, I haven't had any issues myself connecting a 4K60Hz display or a QHD144Hz to my laptop so far using various USB-C or TB3 to HDMI adapters so far. It is starting to look like there is some bug in the graphics driver with ultrawide screen monitors at the moment, given that the issue manifests itself on both TB3 and HDMI-via-USB-C-alt-mode monitors.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hey @describee , thanks for your advice, especially on my dock's lack of HDMI 2.0. No wonder my cursor is so choppy on my external monitor. I always thought it was just because of a weak video card.

I guess I can try connecting direct via USB-C data cable. I'll let you guys know the results when I try it.

Edit: I just did as you suggested and now I have the 9300 connected directly to the Dell monitor and runs way smoother. I'm using the other TB3 port for my low-end dock. This should suffice for now until I upgrade to a newer better TB3 dock with all the I/O I need. Do you have any suggestions for TB3 dock brands or models? I need an ethernet port, a Thunderbolt connection to my monitor, a few USB2.0/3.0 ports, and maybe sound. Nothing super fancy.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@Philskies Just wondering if Power Delivery etc. works fine on the U4919DW connected directly to the laptop and you can essentially power up the laptop using the monitor with no issues?

You might want to have a look at Amazon reviews to see what Thunderbolt 3/ USB-C dock suits your needs and has fewest problems. So far from what I see, a lot have mixed reviews out there. Many of the docks out there have limitations (e.g. 4K only at 30Hz or only USB 2.0 ports when video is connected), etc. I think Dell has a TB16 dock which generally works fine. The best option I feel is to use one TB3 port for video and the other TB3 port to handle USB, Ethernet etc. connections.

0 Kudos