Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 13 9300 thunderbolt 3 issue

Hi, I have bought the new XPS 13 9300 and I wanted to connect it to my ultrawide monitor. I have tried 3 different ways: usb-c, thunderbolt (my monitor has a tb3 input) and through a TB dock. In all 3 ways the laptop would start and stop charging frequently and also disconnect from the external monitor. What I noticed is that this problem would go away as soon as I plug in the charger. Which shouldn't be the case as my monitor as well as the dock provide 85w. What could be the problem? I am going crazy as this was the reason to buy the XPS 

Labels (3)
89 Replies
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell 9300 External Monitor problem – and maybe an indication of a more grave Thunderbolt issue on the new XPS13 and XPS15…

Can you believe I've 5 old XPS 13 in the house (three previous version 9370 and a couple of older ones) - all work fine with all monitors in the house on USB-C - for charging via the monitor and monitor signal. Not the 9300 though... exactly the same Samsung Thunderbolt monitors and LG too.

I'll be returning mine once we're out of lockdown here in Spain too. Having to use an adaptor to HDMI and that means I'm having to charge via the right-hand USB-C meaning I have to charge for a while the swap out for my USB-C camera for conference calls and then back again to charge...

I’ve seen lots of report of problems with the Thunderbolt on this model – and maybe the 15 inch too..

Some have said the monitor works as long as the power is on to the laptop (so you’d have to power using the only other USB-C Port!!)

Monitors: 34wk95u and the SAMSUNG C34J791 and, again, these work with the last two generations of XPS13.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, we have not heard back from you in relation to the issue. I am having this case closed for now. Drop us a note here if you still need help with this. ^SP

DELL-Cares
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell 9300 External Monitor problem – and maybe an indication of a more grave Thunderbolt issue on the new XPS13 and XPS15… Can you believe I've 5 old XPS 13 in the house (three previous version 9370 and a couple of older ones) - all work fine with all monitors in the house on USB-C - for charging via the monitor and monitor signal. Not the 9300 though... exactly the same Samsung Thunderbolt monitors and LG too. I'll be returning mine once we're out of lockdown here in Spain too. Having to use an adaptor to HDMI and that means I'm having to charge via the right-hand USB-C meaning I have to charge for a while the swap out for my USB-C camera for conference calls and then back again to charge... I’ve seen lots of report of problems with the Thunderbolt on this model – and maybe the 15 inch too.. Some have said the monitor works as long as the power is on to the laptop (so you’d have to power using the only other USB-C Port!!) Monitors: 34wk95u and the SAMSUNG C34J791 and, again, these work with the last two generations of XPS13.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@davdatong 

Hey thanks for your information. I think we have the same issue. Using your information, I tried turning on my 9300 with the cable already plugged in and it works. So far 2 out of 2 times.

I tried removing the cable and plugging it back in while powered on, and it starts disconnecting/reconnecting again.

I also tried a "restart" instead of a shutdown, and it starts disconnecting/reconnecting.

Like you, my 9350 works fine, and I've also updated all my drivers. The only difference is that we use different monitors and hubs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@Philskies You are having the issue even when the USB-C plugged directly in to the laptop? If so, please contact Dell -- you have a Dell monitor and a Dell laptop -- chances are, they would be more willing to fix this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have dell xps 13 that I bought a year ago, connected to a Caldigit and 2 Dell monitors.

Everything was working fine until yesterday when my xps13 received a forced window update.

Since then I can't connect my xps to cal digit using just a thunderbolt 13 without also connecting it to charge.

I spoke with both DELL and Xaldigit, and turnout that with the new update Dell is not allowing third party charging. 

I am really disappointed I am a business owner that all I used was dell product but now I am considering Mac. 

Highlighted
1 Copper

Some issue with currently all my thunderbolt 3 docks. It's a really nice device otherwise. But I'll have to return it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same issue here. Latest Bios and Drivers as of May 24, 2020. I have an LG 34WK95U-W which I use daily with a Precision 5520 and a Dell TB-16 Thunderbolt Dock (The Monitor does not deliver enough power).  When I connect my XPS 13 9300 I either get the constant disconnect/reconnect, no video at all, or if I'm really lucky, I'll get 1440P on the 5K monitor. All devices on the dock do connect and the monitor is set to DP 1.4.  I have the same issue when I connect directly to the monitor, though usually it's the repeated disconnect/reconnect only. 

I have another Dell WD-15 USB-C dock on an older U2711 Dell monitor and it all works fine. That dock does not support 5K though DP or HDR, so it's useless in the setup I'm trying to use. Have high hopes this can be resolved with software, love the laptop otherwise.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

@Scott Mc ATX according to the specs the tb16 supports dp 1.2 only and outputs 5k only when using dual displayports. Could that be the issue? The tb13 works fine with the u2711 I assume?

Just wondering if you were to try the LG on your USB-C dock, does it at least output a display? (Resolution notwithstanding of course)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I tested it with a Dell U2717D (2560x1440). 

0 Kudos