Highlighted

Re: XPS 13 9300 thunderbolt 3 issue

Follow-up:

Everything still seems to be working with the TS3+. The problem with the keyboard seemed to be linked to the USB passthrough and the dock not differentiating between the two. Only solution so far has been to unplug and replug when the dock starts or not using the USB passthrough (which I'm currently not). Hooked up a monitor through the DisplayPort (Dell S series) and have had no issues there. 

Additionally, I have continuously not turned on the thunderbolt 3 software before plugging in and have had no problems. Seems like there was a fix during the last bios update, but it still is not perfect without the USB passthrough working.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Try updating to the 1.2 BIOS dated 4 Sep 20.  Famous last words... but it’s fixed my problems at the moment which included pass through accessories. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem here. Getting monitors / multiple monitors working on the XPS 13 9300 should not be so painful. Also quite sad to see that Dell has ignored the problem for so long.Hopefully the next BIOS release addresses the issues, but given how long this has been lingering and the age of this thread, I'm still not very optimistic.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

On a whim I bought a Dell WD19TB Thunderbolt 3 Dock. Ran the battery down on the XPS 13 9300 laptop and then connected LG TB3 monitor to the dock and the dock to the laptop all via TB3. Everything just worked, to include Power Delivery, without issue. Charged the laptop back to 100% all while using the LG monitor. Check the TB3 control app and it showed the dock and monitor connected in serial.

This isn't the RIGHT solution since the dock shouldn't be needed but this is another data point.

Break break.

Windows Update just flagged a Dell Firmware 0.1.1.0 driver update under optional updates. Anyone else seeing this? I have the most current BIOS on the Dell Support site loaded (1.1.0) Not sure what this 0.1.1.0 is in Windows Update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I've been following this thread for quite a while and what ended up working was changing monitors. LG 32UK550-B May 2020 model to an older monitor LG 32UD60--B December 2018 model. The older monitor works great for 3 days now. 

Note: Difference is with the newer model is has lower contrast ratio and HDR Effect when compared with the older model. 

Did Not Work:

1) Update bios (July Update)

2) Update Firmware 

3) HDMI to USB-C 4k 60hz cable

4) Changing out alternative HDMI Cables with HDMI dongle

5) Changing HDMI Dongle

6) Power plugged in, then started laptop. (and other variations of power).

7) Switched plugging into the other USB-C Thunderbolt port

😎 Checked monitor with other computers. The monitor worked fine. 

What did work:

1) Switching monitors (LG 32UK550-B May 2020 model to an older monitor LG 32UD60--B December 2018 model.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

4 Sep 20 BIOS update has fixed the compatibility issue with LG 32 inch Thunderbolt 3 monitor.  The monitor will now connect directly to the XPS, without constant connect/disconnect cycles and while simultaneously providing Power Delivery.  I’ve successfully charged my XPS from minimum charge to 100% while connected to the LG via Thunderbolt 3 with daisy chained accessories connected to the monitor. 

Highlighted
1 Copper

4 Sep 20 BIOS still not work with Samsung c34j79x via Thunderbol. Forced to buy USB-C to HDMI dongle 😞