XPS

Last reply by 01-24-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 13 9305 - Cannot set AHCI in UEFI

Hey folks,

I am trying to set up a system for dual boot.  One of the steps is to set AHCI (from RAID) in the UEFI.  When I toggle the button to AHCI (from RAID), then hit "Apply Updates", it goes back to RAID.  Even after trying to save and exit, when I go back to the UEFI (reboot and F2), it is still set to RAID.  I have tried this multiple times, it always reverts back to RAID.  Is there some other setting I need to update first? 

Replies (13)

Hi There, We see that you had contacted us recently regarding issues with your computer, and our experts & community users have been waiting for your confirmation on the outcome of the suggested steps/ provide the requested details, this service ticket is currently in-progress. Please reply to this message, so we can keep you posted with further updates on the service status.

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Linux shows that there are no AHCI devices available "dmesg | grep -i ahci". It does show RAID devices "dmesg | grep -i raid".

The developer version of the XPS 13 allows the AHCI setting to be set in the UEFI.

Why did Dell disable that in this version of the laptop?

Is there a way to re-enable it?

Why would Dell intentionally cripple the UEFI?

We haven't heard back from you in a while. If you do need additional help, please don't hesitate to contact us back. Thank you.

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Following up on this.  I upgraded the ssd to a bigger drive.  I was then able to switch the setting.  It looks like the included drive could only support RAID mode.  The new drive, oddly enough, only supports AHCI mode.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor