Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

P

1 Message

November 8th, 2020 04:00

XPS 13 9310, battery drain issue

A week back, I have brought XPS 13 and received it a couple of days back. I have never achieved the battery life suggested on the Dell website for the laptop. I agree it varies by usage and setting preferences. My expected battery life is between 5-6 hours after a full charge with zero screen brightness, no Bluetooth device connected, no Netflix streaming, battery set to balance, and power mode as best battery. I have seen some comments after driver and BIOS updates, it should be better but even that has not helped to improve battery life. It gives me great disappointment with your premium device. 

Puvikkarasan_0-1604838808579.png

And once more small inconvenience faced by using the laptop while working in COMSOL. There is some graphic rendering problem and cannot see the output images. I have graphic rendering setting as my other Dell Latitude 5480 laptop which has core i3 7th gen processor.

I really love the performance and other features of the laptop and that is the reason for choosing it over other premium devices. Please provide a solution to overcome these.

• 

25.1K Posts

April 18th, 2021 11:00

Hi,

I have replied to you from a private message.

-Gautam.

13 Posts

April 19th, 2021 13:00

I'm cautious at this point, but I have to say that it does seem that there is an improvement after the BIOS upgrade to version 2.1.  The battery does not drain (as quickly?) while in suspend mode anymore.  I'm still hoping to hear back from the engineering team about the possible limitations or lack thereof when it comes to providing an alternative suspend mode for this system.

On a side-note, the BIOS/UEFI upgrade procedure has greatly improved since the last time I tried to do that.  The built-in BIOS Update utility also provides a way to connect to dell servers and download the update without the need to use a separate USB device.  While I have had this option offered from other vendors, I was not sure that it would be possible without an ethernet connection.  Anyway, great to see the improvements, including the option to use the WLAN adapter from within the UEFI.

9 Posts

April 20th, 2021 10:00

It’s interesting there is a lot of talk about sleep etc. I’m just talking about normal usage. I have noticed the Windows battery monitor is all over the place. The estimated life goes from 4:15 to 1:45 in one jump. Sometimes it then goes back up. Very erratic 

13 Posts

April 20th, 2021 11:00

That, to me, sounds like the CPU governor (or w/e the Windows equivalent is) going from powersave mode to "performance" mode, along with how that battery indicator calculates the estimated time and/or if there is a delay at some point before it seemingly jumps to that much shorter time. 

I'm assuming you have the same setup as me, the i7-1165G7.  As an example, while browsing the internet and doing light tasks right now, my CPU runs at about 1.2GHz in "powersave" mode.  Given the fact that the Maximum for this CPU is 4.7GHz, I can imagine a huge difference in how long the battery would last between these two scenarios. 

If you are sure that the battery does not last very long regardless of the workload, then it may be a bad battery that doesn't hold its charge.  However, I would assume that it wouldn't get to that point in less than a year of ownership; especially since the UEFI/BIOS allows for tuning how the battery is charged or used, increasing the longevity.

14 Posts

April 28th, 2021 12:00

Dear @WJProctor 

please provide details (screen dumps) on where you've changed the max processor state

BIOS ? or windows ?

Tks

9 Posts

April 28th, 2021 12:00

So I have found an improvement. When you change the power plan there is an option to change the max processor state. I have set that to 50% on battery. I’m currently on 89% with 8hr 42m. 

Finally some success! 

9 Posts

April 28th, 2021 13:00

Windows.

You might need to add Max Processor State - Task Subject Start Date Reminder Time Due Date In Folder Categories

This is the screenshot of the system

PowerOptions.png

9 Posts

Yeah I had todo the registry entry. Forgot to say that. If you change the a balanced profile it seems to revert every so often. I’ve created a new power profile to see what happens. 

James

14 Posts

@WJProctor 

I'm missing Max processor state in the power plans options.

you've provided the link of that post = "XPS 13 9310 Battery drain issue " - did you try to provide link to another post for creating new power plan or restoring max Proc state options? 

found here - it should look like this: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000211304-Using-the-High-performance-power-plan-Windows-  

David_Dsi51_0-1619641109167.png

but no luck for me so far - have nothing referring to Proc settings:

David_Dsi51_1-1619641177159.png

14 Posts

@WJProctor 

Tks - could add it using the REG file provided in the URL you provided.

Set my PROC to 60% on battery, and getting 4h30 at 59% battery - meaning nearly 8h battery life.

To be tested..

9 Posts

May 1st, 2021 00:00

How’s it going? Seems a lot better for me! 

James

14 Posts

May 7th, 2021 15:00

James

also have windows battery monitor showing the remaining 95% to last for 08h48.

but as you said, it's quite jumpy indicator.. not sure how reliable that could be and have not tested the real battery lifetime with wifi on and simple web surfing yet

David_Dsi51_0-1620427329391.png

next minute is already showing 93% to be 07h47

David_Dsi51_1-1620427365567.png

and now is 92% for 5h19

David_Dsi51_0-1620427555364.png

this tool is not very useful as not stable at all in the estimates

time estimate slighty increased after 1% loss

David_Dsi51_0-1620427948155.png

14 Posts

May 7th, 2021 15:00

did not have similar issue

simply edited and updated the standard power profile (the only one I had)

and after multiple reboots (10days later) the settings remain with no problem for max proc state on battery

David_Dsi51_0-1620427783764.png

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 27th, 2021 22:00

Few months later, anyone found a solution for this issue?! 

I have a new 9310 2in1 with FHD display, and the battery life is terrible. I get mayyybe 5-6 hours while doing nothing. If I do any basic browsing, it drops to 4-5 hours.

For example this, while writing this post, only couple other tabs open and no other programs running in foreground.

Also if someone is wondering, LCD back light adds only 1W between min and max brightness. Since the laptop averages around 7W while doing nothing, screen brightness contributes to only like 15% of consumption if set to max.

BTW I had a very similar issue with HP laptop (8th gen CPU I believe), and it was never fixed. However then I received another laptop of the same model and it held twice as long on battery, while I have used all the same software on it. So not sure what's happening and if there is a good way to debug this.

Some of you have posted that a full wipe and reinstall resolved the issue. Please get back to us and confirm if this held true over time and was not just a first impression.

Ekrano nuotrauka 2021-08-28 084319.png

No Events found!