Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2021 07:00

XPS 13 9310 WiFi randomly shuts down (AX500-DBS)

Hello everyone,

I've had my XPS 13 9310 for a month now and since about two weeks my WiFi stops working in random moments. Sometimes it's after waking up from sleep, sometimes it's just randomly during use. The laptop has a Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS card and it looks like the driver just stops working. The card starts working again when I shut down the system completely and turn it on again.

When the WiFi card is down, the Windows Device Manager shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10) (Operation Failed) The requested operation was unsuccessful.". The Event Viewer shows multiple errors around the time the WiFi goes down, e.g.

• The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table.
  • The version number is incorrect for this driver.
  • Miniport Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS Wireless Network Adapter, {86c1bbda-57fc-4364-ad13-5fc9493cc130}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

This issue occurred for me on:

• Windows 10 Pro builds 2004 and 20H2
  • Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS driver version 1.0.0.1428 (from 2020-09-03, latest as of 2021-01-04)
  • BIOS version 1.1.4
  • All other drivers on latest versions.

I've been in contact with Dell support about this particular issue for 2 weeks now, but they haven't found a fix yet. What has been done so far:

Does anyone else have the problem (and hopefully a solution)?

1 Message

March 5th, 2021 05:00

This just happened to me this AM.  I've been working fine with it for the last 3 months.  Now the Killer wireless won't start.  Anyone from Dell have a fix?

March 5th, 2021 06:00

Hi, in reply to Dell-BradL. The BT Smart Hub only has the option of setting one SSID for the 2 frequencies so I cannot separate by name.

Capperdog007_1-1614954856249.png

March 5th, 2021 07:00

An update on progress with Dell Support, there is none…

For the past 3 weeks I have been receiving a daily email from the support team, each time saying no progress (apart from they have finally located the missing laptop in Glasgow).

Have you all noticed the new spec for the XPS 13 is showing with a different Killer card now? It’s now a AX1650, I wonder why…?

And I notice the spec of i7 1185G7 is back but not available with the 32GB memory and the 1TB SSD.  The usual excuse I get for this is that it is driven by stock of the components but strangely the 32GB memory and 1TB SSD are available if you order with the slightly slower chip of i7 1165G7 – I think someone is telling porkies really, begin to wonder if there is a mismatch somewhere with top chip, the 32GB memory, the 1TB SSD and the Killer AX500 components.  Anyone having the same problem but with a different spec?

This weekend marks 3 months of problems with this laptop for me and it is still just sitting here in a desk drawer with no sign of becoming a reliable pc.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

March 5th, 2021 09:00

I am going to see if I can find out more on this.

@Capperdog007 would it be possible to turn the 2.4 off temporarily on the BT Hub to test? I just wanted to isolate this further, and thanks for the reply. 

122 Posts

March 5th, 2021 10:00

Just for information - My laptop has an i7 1185G7 processor with 32gb ram and 1TB SSD but with an AX500 Killer wifi board. 

Can anyone with updates on this fault please post in this link.

• 

25.1K Posts

March 5th, 2021 15:00

Sure. Thank you for keeping us posted.

March 5th, 2021 15:00

As requested I have turned the 2.4 off, now operating only on 5 (channel 36). Will report if and when shutdowns occur.

122 Posts

March 7th, 2021 03:00

Copperdog - when you rebooted the laptop was it where the signal strength was 80% or had you moved to a stronger area?

Just to be clear I have the same spec as gando1:

i7 1185G7 with 32gb ram, 1 TB SSD and the AX500 Killer wifi.

I have run the laptop on just the 5Ghz wifi (2.4 turned off at router), it lasted 3 or 4 hours whilst in close proximity to the router but then I relocated it to an area with 80% signal strength and shortly after the laptop wifi shutdown and showed no access points available from any of the services in the area.  On my phone I can see many active networks available, both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Rebooted laptop and from then on it kept failing within 10 minutes on 5Ghz.  I checked to see if there were any known networks stored on the laptop in case it was trying to switch back to any of them for a better 2.4 service but the only known network on the laptop is my BT Smart Hub 2 router that is set to 5Ghz only, as requested.

I am now switching the 2.4Ghz service back on to provide a better coverage for the other users of the router.

Hi, I was asked by the Dell moderator to try switching off the 2.4 service on my router to see if it changed anything, the results:

I have run the laptop on just the 5Ghz wifi (2.4 turned off at router), it lasted 3 or 4 hours whilst in close proximity to the router but then I relocated it to an area with 80% signal strength and shortly after the laptop wifi shutdown and showed no access points available from any of the services in the area.  On my phone I can see many active networks available, both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

Rebooted laptop and from then on it kept failing within 10 minutes on 5Ghz.  I checked to see if there were any known networks stored on the laptop in case it was trying to switch back to any of them for a better 2.4 service but the only known network on the laptop is my BT Smart Hub 2 router that is set to 5Ghz only, as requested.

I am now switching the 2.4Ghz service back on to provide a better coverage for the other users of the router.

March 7th, 2021 09:00

Gando1 - good thought, rebooted at the 80% signal strength location.

I will be at a different location (work) tomorrow so will try the same there.  It is also on a BT router and I think I will be able to switch the 2.4Ghz network off for a while if I don't tell anyone

122 Posts

March 8th, 2021 09:00

Tried mine today with a signal strength of 50% on 5GHz and it stayed on - as it was raining outside I did not take it further so it would drop to 2.4MHz. Maybe tomorrow!

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

March 8th, 2021 18:00

Thanks for all the updates on this. Please let me know if anything changes, I will also let you know once I hear anything on my end.

122 Posts

March 9th, 2021 03:00

I did not switch the computer off last night - only closed the lid and on opening it this morning it was on 2.4GHz  with a signal strength of 80%. This is in the position I get 95 - 100% on 5GHz .

I walked around the house and it came back on to 5GHz . I then proceeded to walk out and away from my house  - I walked 40 paces from where the router was before I lost the signal - it never tried to switch to 2.4GHz 

The conclusion I have at the moment is either that the 5GHz signal is a lot stronger from my router or the aerial in the XPS13 is a lot more receptive to 5GHz than 2.4GHz 

No Events found!