Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2021 07:00

XPS 13 9310 WiFi randomly shuts down (AX500-DBS)

Hello everyone,

I've had my XPS 13 9310 for a month now and since about two weeks my WiFi stops working in random moments. Sometimes it's after waking up from sleep, sometimes it's just randomly during use. The laptop has a Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS card and it looks like the driver just stops working. The card starts working again when I shut down the system completely and turn it on again.

When the WiFi card is down, the Windows Device Manager shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10) (Operation Failed) The requested operation was unsuccessful.". The Event Viewer shows multiple errors around the time the WiFi goes down, e.g.

• The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table.
  • The version number is incorrect for this driver.
  • Miniport Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS Wireless Network Adapter, {86c1bbda-57fc-4364-ad13-5fc9493cc130}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

This issue occurred for me on:

• Windows 10 Pro builds 2004 and 20H2
  • Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS driver version 1.0.0.1428 (from 2020-09-03, latest as of 2021-01-04)
  • BIOS version 1.1.4
  • All other drivers on latest versions.

I've been in contact with Dell support about this particular issue for 2 weeks now, but they haven't found a fix yet. What has been done so far:

Does anyone else have the problem (and hopefully a solution)?

35 Posts

August 27th, 2021 03:00

addendum:

I have 2 other Dell laptops in my office - none of them the i7-11th 32GB. Both are working great, they are solid, reliable devices with great service from Dell. That might explain my disappointment.

August 29th, 2021 16:00

I'm trying to wrap my brain around why some of you are still having this issue. Within the first few days of receiving my XPS 13 9310 (i7/32GB) I had the same Wi-Fi issue described here. I did bios/driver updates, and haven't had the issue since. I posted a response with my fix earlier in this thread:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9310-WiFi-randomly-shuts-down-AX500-DBS/m-p/7949130/highlight/true#M86429

I am now on BIOS 3.0.4 but same AX500 driver (1.0.0.1606):
DamnitShaun_0-1630279167294.png

The only things I can think of that could be different:

• I bought it refurbished from Dell Outlet
  • Maybe there's some remanence of the Killer software?
  • Maybe some other 3rd party software/driver that conflicts with Killer AX500?
  • Maybe older wireless security and/or protocols mess with it if enabled for compatibility on wireless routers? (802.11a/b and/or WEP, WPA vs. WPA2/3)

I am running the ASUS ZenWifi AX (XT8) at home, but have also traveled with it for work and connected to many different wireless networks without issue.

I know none of what I've posted here is a solution, but hoping the information can be helpful in getting to the root cause of this issue!

44 Posts

August 30th, 2021 17:00

I'm sorry you went through all of this. May I offer you a possible solution? I am only here because I enjoy helping others  If yoand espcially for this XPS 13 9310 as it's a wonderful refresh of this laptop. If you're willing to purchase again, buy the XPS 13 9310 32GB RAM - however with the much better Intel AX201 wifi chip. It will cost you an ectra $100, but it will certainly help you with your issues. Next to wireless here you will see the different/updated/non-Killer wifi chip. And if you're curious why this confiuration has this change is the offering of Intels vPro capable Processor. Dell charges extra $100 for the vPro Capable Processor, but when you're buying a premium laptop you want a premium wifi chip, especially with it being soldered on.

122 Posts

August 31st, 2021 12:00

Guys - A new bios 3.1.0 has been released and this may help the people who are still having problems - hopefully

9 Posts

September 9th, 2021 14:00

Good news - hopefully for some of you. I have spent couple of evenings fighting this cr.p.

Disabling C-states seemed to work. After BIOS upgrade it is no longer possible (toggle goes back to on automatically).

Also, after BIOS update there was a message in system log that firmware update failed, so I decided to update again. It did NOT help, but reading BIOS upgrade instructions gave me a hint. It is asking you to disconnect all devices except for power supply.

Now, I recall from another system, that some devices, namely Bluetooth devices, can interfere with Wifi. So my AX500 is struggling to pick up signal / connect to Wifi. I disabled bluetooth and voila, connected and good speed (100+ Mbps).

Reboot, followed by sleep test, so far so good for few hours. But I need bluetooth, keyboard and mouse are bluetooth, because there is no place for USB dongle in this sytem

And then I googled apparently underrated post on reddit. How to modify Windows registry to force some sort of interference avoidance in bluetooth subsystem.

I am linking the article to give credit to the guy who found it, because it seems to work.

C states on, Bluetooth on, and ax500 appears to be working OK.

Give it a try. Fastest way is to disable Bluetooth and see if that helps. If it does, please test registry modification. Good luck.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lenovo/comments/hqlsuv/qualcomm_atheros_qca61x4a_wifibluetooth/

63 Posts

September 9th, 2021 14:00

I haven't had the wifi problem for a while, but that they disabled the one thing that always seemed to work (disabling c-state) in the latest BIOS update is troubling.

9 Posts

September 9th, 2021 15:00

it seems to be a bug, odd behaviour where toggle goes back to previous position after few seconds. Might get fixed in next BIOS update. Very similar to this one: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9310-BIOS-Turbo-Boost-stuck-on-Disabled/td-p/7930935

9 Posts

September 10th, 2021 01:00

Update: issues came back, with slow WiFi and disconnects. Shutting down bluetooth solves it straight away. Not a long term solution, but something to explore. Maybe DELL could do something about it, improve interference avoidance, reduce BT power, give option to control BT power (I just need nearby mouse, don't need 10m away speakers)

September 11th, 2021 12:00

No matter what Dell writes in this thread, this problem is still not resolved. Several times a week it happens that my Dell XPS 13 9310 waits for the "wifi globe" to find networks nearby, which takes anywhere from 10-15 sec. This always happens when restarting or waking up from sleep. All drivers, firmware for Bios etc. are the latest versions

23 Posts

September 11th, 2021 14:00

Same error as OP.

I just found the 1606 driver dates 5/10/2021.  I installed, restarted, no improvement. I uninstalled the Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS adapter, then let Windows find it as new hardware and install it.

Absolutely no change.  Starting a couple of days ago, no wifi at all. Only ethernet works.

Incidentally, is everyone having to go through 5-7 captchas before this site accepts a new post? It is very annoying.

23 Posts

September 11th, 2021 14:00

I can't even find a way to get any 1606 driver to install. I have 1428 and I can't find anywhere to download and manually update to any later version.

23 Posts

September 11th, 2021 15:00

Ok, it now looks like the August 5 released Killer 500 WLAN 1.0.0.1606 I made a few minutes has fixed the problem. 

What got it working was doing another Restart, and then a Shutdown, and then a start up. On this third (fourth?) retry, WiFi started working.

There was one remaining oddity when I moused over the internet icon in the tray. It said "no internet" even though opening up network connections showed I was connected. A fourth (fifth) reboot cleared this up.

• 

25.1K Posts

September 15th, 2021 09:00

Hi,

We are sorry to know the issue is still not resolved. We have replied to you on private message, please check and reply so that we can as assist you further. 

9 Posts

September 15th, 2021 09:00

Today hit the same issue - required couple restarts to connect to WiFi and even when connected - ping times to local router around 1000-2000ms. Eventually it settled with good speed and latency. Nothing to do with network load, as I deliberately stopped cloud drive sync etc, other devices on the same access point working flawlessly. Went to BIOS to try my luck with C-states, unfortunately still can't toggle it. No new BIOS revision available.

9 Posts

September 16th, 2021 03:00

Good luck with that, I've tried 1606, couple of days kind of OK, but then problems came back. What bothers me is both 2.4 and 5G issues, which can;t be explaoined purely by BT interference. Also switching off BT sometimes help, sometimes not. I'll be reverting again to previous drivers, but my hope is really in another BIOS update, to let me disable C states.

No Events found!