Highlighted
Not applicable

XPS 13 9333 Black screen on start. How to reset BIOS?

Im stuck with black screen after booting. The keyboard lights and the front LED are on, nothing else.

Powering on the laptop with pressing D starts the display test and it works so it is not a display issue.

Let me explain how i got here.

I have been using the laptop with ubuntu 19.10 booting in legacy mode. After the newest update and a reboot i got only in minimal grub. I was trying to repair grub and switched from legacy to UEFI which got me to a black screen, keyboard lights on and a 4 beeps signal that kept on repeating.

Next i unplugged all peripherals and AC, opened the laptop removed the CMOS battery and the battery. Pressed the power button for 30sec, put everything back in order and tried to boot it. This time still black screen, keyboard lights on, but no beeping this time.

Next i tired to flash the BIOS, following the solution from @spellizzari and @OzDavo :

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/firmware-issues-on-L322X/td-p/4204220

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-13-L322X-Black-Screen-After-Rebooting/td-p/6068644

I can see that the laptop boots and starts to read the flash drive but then nothing happens and the white LED keeps on blinking still black screen.

Tied many many times to flash from the usb drive and waited for hours but nothing happens. The led on the usb flashes in the beginning while keyboard lights are on as well as the front indicator led. Then the light of the usb goes off and the indicator led on the front of the laptop flashes.

Is there another way to reset the NVRAM??

Any other ideas i could try? Apart from this the laptop has been stellar and would love to keep it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 9333 Black screen on start. How to reset BIOS?

This is how I fixed the black screen...

On MY XPS 13 there is a small "bump" of a button next to place you insert your headphones.

After the Dell symbol and then subsequent "Black Screen" I pressed that button a time or two and saw some lights light up on the side. So I clicked it several more times and the there was a flash from the screen. After I continued to press that fateful button...bang the screen started working. I feel the "problem driver" is actually the sound part of the graphics card. 

That was several weeks ago, and....Well, I'm using it now and the screen stills works.

Hopefully, this finds you an answer...and if it doesn't work for you I've seen several other less attractive options such as a new motherboard, removing the battery, and reinstall from scratch. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same problem, but I have not solved, the button next to the headphones is not on the 9333 someone has solved it ?? I also have the keyboard that lights up and the central LED that lights up but always black screen. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Strange thing is that it is in the same period.. Mar 2020

Help me 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have this same problem, and also don't have whatever this magic button is.

I have found to get it to come on have to disconnect both batteries, as the CMOS battery is on the underside of the main board i had to remove this and have put the battery in upside down (so that it does nothing).

This results in annoying loud beeps at power on warning that the RTC is invalid, so have also disconnected the right speaker from which the beeps come.

It's not ideal but at least the laptop is then usable and as do not reboot or shutdown very often it's not too bad.

Note: I have never tried Ubuntu 19.x or Legacy mode. Has only ever had the LTS releases (currently 18.04) and has always been set to UEFI. Its only been persistently not booting until remove battery for the past few months. For a few months before this it would sometimes happen but switching off and on again, or powering on with D held to do the screen test and then power cycling again would get it to start up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

@beachadmin

This seems to relate to a different machine and a different problem. There is no button and there is no Dell logo , the screen does not come on at all after power on / reboot. Only the keyboard lights up.

The only way to get the screen on at all without removing both the Main battery and CMOS battery is to hold D when powering on. It then cycles through colours / runs the screen test.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Actually It's possible it's still possible to run the diagnostics whilst in this state too, i can't recall for sure. 

0 Kudos