Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 9th, 2019 10:00

XPS 13 9343 with ultra wide monitor

I am using an XPS 13 9343 with specs listed below, currently running W10 64 bit Home Edition.  

The graphics adapter is an Intel HD 5500 running driver version 20.19.15.5058 dated 16/08/2018

I have just bought a Samsung LS34J550WQUXEN ultrawide display.   Max resolution for the screen is 3440x1440.

I have connected the laptop to the Samsung using a mini-DP to HDMI cable.  I don't know the brand of the cable.   I am running the laptop with just the external display enabled.

The Samsung automatically switches down to 1920 x 1080 resolution when connected to the XPS.   When I go to the Intel HD 5500 properties in Windows, it indicates that 1920 x 1080 is the highest supported mode.

It seems to me that the XPS 9343 with Intel HD 5500 should be able to drive the Samsung in ultrawide mode and achieve a higher resolution than 1920 x 1080

I am wondering if that is indeed correct?  and if so, why am I unable to achieve that higher resolution?  is it potentially due to my mini DP to HDMI cable not supporting higher resolutions?  

I can buy a new cable but don't want to do that if the root cause is with the XPS...

tem
Description
Base
Dino 13
Operating System
[upgraded to W10 64 bit Home Edition]
Memory
8GB Dual Channel DDR3L-RS 1600Mhz (On Board)
Keyboard
Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Backlit Keyboard
Video Card
Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500
Driver
Driver for Dell Wireless 1560
Hard Drive
256GB SSD
Wireless
DW 1560 + BT4.0 [802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 2x2]
Cable
UK Power Cord

Bundle
CNX4309

Systems Management
Intel® Smart Connect Technology, 9343

Primary Battery
52 WHr, 4-Cell Battery (integrated)
Processor
5th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-5200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.70 GHz)

FGA
DINO1601_5123/MR/BTO
Processor Branding
Intel(R) Core(TM) I5 processor Label for Ultrabook
LCD
13.3-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) infinity display

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 11th, 2019 08:00

You should get a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable.  Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI "passive" cables require your system to fall back to native HDMI signaling, and the resolution of that display wasn't supported over HDMI until HDMI 2.0, which your system is way too old to support.  Your system is probably sending HDMI 1.4 or even 1.3, which would be why your resolution is limited.  Theoretically a Mini-DisplayPort to HDMI 2.0 "active" adapter or cable would work, because in that situation your system would be sending native DisplayPort 1.2 and a chip built into the adapter/cable would convert that signal to HDMI 2.0, but that's needless cost and complexity because your display has an actual DisplayPort input -- so you should use it.

And actually, you'd have to check the display's documentation to confirm, but fyi it's possible that the display's HDMI input is also a limitation.  Some very high resolution displays only accept their maximum resolution over DisplayPort because HDMI has always been years later to support a given resolution than DisplayPort.  For example, DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 2.0 both support up to 4K 60 Hz, but DisplayPort 1.2 came out several years before HDMI 2.0, and as a result, there are many 4K displays on the market that can only receive 4K resolution over DisplayPort, and are limited to some lower resolution on their HDMI input.

Bottom line: You should use DisplayPort or Mini-DisplayPort whenever you can.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

February 11th, 2019 07:00

Thank you for your message. Are you using just a normal cable or a cable with an adapter? It could be a cable limitation.

The maximum resolution supported on the eDP is 3840x2160@60Hz & HDMI 1.4 is 2560x1600@60Hz

2 Posts

it is a normal cable (miniDP to HDMI) not an adapter.

I have now tried to connect that same cable to my work laptop (different brand) and get the same screen resolution restrictions.

Whereas that work laptop also has a proper HDMI output, and when I connect the Samsung screen directly to that HDMI then I get the ability to use the work laptop with full UWD resolution on the same screen

So it is pretty clear that the miniDP to HDMI cable that I was using does not support higher resolution than 1920x1080

next step now is to get a proper miniDP to DP cable - as other posters below have also recommended

thanks everyone!  do assume that if you don't hear back from me on this forum, then upgrading to a proper cable will have fixed my issue

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

One note in addition to the reply I wrote above.  I had no problems running a 4K 60 Hz display using a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable on my XPS 15 9530 that's even older than your system and has an older Intel 4600 GPU built in.  4K is more resolution than your 21:9 ultrawide, so if that worked for me on that older hardware, there's no reason to suspect that your 9343 would have a problem with your ultrawide resolution, once you have the proper cabling.

No Events found!