ZeroFive
1 Copper

XPS 13 9350 | Black Screen After GPU Driver Install

Hi folks, I'm having this super annoying problem with my XPS 13 9350 (i7-Touch). When I install the Intel HD Graphics driver after the initial boot and second Dell logo monitor turns black. I can hear the Windows notification sounds and brightness slider doing its thing but I can't see anything other than the black screen. If I connect my laptop to an external monitor I can get the image but not with its own panel. Disabling the GPU or using generic drivers solves the problem but without a working GPU, it's not a remotely decent experience.

List of things I tried so far;

• 3 clean OS install. I tried Windows 10 Version 1803, 1809 and Dell OS Recovery Tool. Every time I installed the GPU driver it did the same thing.
  • Tried different GPU drivers I used old ones, most recent ones but no luck.
  • Removed the battery, pressed the power button drained the remaining power but still it didn't help.
  • I'm on the latest bios version 1.10.1.
  • Tried multiple power management settings.

At this point, I run out of ideas if the GPU is defected then why does it work with external monitor. If the laptop's own screen is the problem then why it works when I disable the GPU driver. Is there anyone have a different solution here?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mary G
5 Iridium

Re: XPS 13 9350 | Black Screen After GPU Driver Install

All laptops must use the Dell customized drivers, not those generic drivers from Intel or AMD or Nvidia. Download and install the Dell drivers for your laptop and that should fix problems. These drivers are customize for your motherboard. Check your manual at that site to see how to use an external monitor.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-13-9350-laptop/drivers 

Laptop drivers rarely if ever get driver updates. 

0 Kudos
ZeroFive
1 Copper

Re: XPS 13 9350 | Black Screen After GPU Driver Install

Thanks for the answer but I'm not sure you read my post properly. I tried many drivers including the official Dell releases as you shared. And I don't have any problems with an external monitor, in fact, I said laptop works with the external monitor and problem is when the GPU driver installed only thing I can on the laptop's monitor is a black screen.

0 Kudos