Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 15th, 2018 14:00

XPS 13 9350, hard drive not installed?

Have been receiving the above noted message and cannot use my laptop currently.  This was happening intermittently for a short time then just would not start at all.  Is there any way to correct this error or will I need to replace the SSD?  Note that the at the time it stopped working completely, the laptop was within one week past the warranty expiry!

5 Posts

April 7th, 2019 17:00

SOLVED.

In short,  "Hard Drive - Not Installed" kept appearing.  Booting --> F12 --> Diagnostics confirmed the original SSD drive was absent (whether it was in the slot or not).  Meaning, the SSD died.

Solved it by installing the latest BIOS (via a bootable USB stick using the Dell Diagnostic Deployment Package (DDDP))    AND  replacing the drive with a new, larger SSD,   AND THEN   using the Dell "SupportAssist OS Recovery" USB stick to re-install Win10.

Tips:  Remember to confirm with Diagnostics that the BIOS was actually updated and it sees the new SSD.  The .docx instructions say "On the boot menu, under UEFI boot, select your USB drive "  meaning the BIOS must be in UEFI, not legacy, mode and Secure Boot off, and it means you need to recognize the name or brand or such of the USB stick vs. the new SSD... and don't pick the generic 'USB drive' option under Legacy boot choices.  (That itself was an hour lost.)

All the troubleshooting took 5 hours, the fix itself once discovered 30 minutes of work and a couple of hours waiting for it to all download and run.  All data on the HD was lost, of course, but the laptop works again.

DELL XPS 15 9550 Hard Drive - Not Installed

Still not resolved? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647637902891.png

• 

16.7K Posts

April 16th, 2018 09:00

KatherineW,

Apologies for the error you are getting from the computer. Please click the link below for troubleshooting and resolutions for the error.

Hard Drive Not Detected error on a Dell PC

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2018 07:00

Hi,

Have you resolved this issue? I experienced the same this morning in the middle of a very important session. Upto now, I still can’t use my Dell XPS 13 9360 and still giving me “Hard Drive - Not installed”

D

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2018 14:00

@darmada, we need to know if you went through the procedures linked in the prior response.  And if you did, what results did you get?

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2018 20:00

I run the diagnostics ePSA 4304.32 and still gives me a warning “Hard Drive - Not Installed” 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2018 07:00

Did you see anything prior to this event regarding your drive?  Anything related to performance or Updates whether OS or Bios?

The message would seem to indicate the system has lost contact with the drive.  If the drive were failing, you should have gotten some type of error code.

Have you changed the factory configuration of the drive.  For instance, on my systems I run my M.2 drives as PCIe and the ePSA will not see the drive but it functions normally otherwise.  If you go into the Bios you might check to see if the drive shows there and what your SATA controller setting is.  Some systems have a check box to allow certain types of drives, which if unchecked my not allow the system to see the drive.  If there are check marks, you might uncheck and reboot then recheck it.

Something I might try, is to disconnect or remove the drive and boot a couple of times to the Bios, then replace it.  If you do not feel comfortable going in the system or are still in warranty, you may not want to try this.  Make sure and check the service manual for instructions.

There are some procedures regarding the battery and Bios resets which some others may suggest which would be done to refresh the Bios in case that was the actual problem.

I suppose there is always a chance a catastrophic failure has occurred and the drive may need to be replaced.  If you can't see the drive, options for reinstalls or resets are not really available.

3 Posts

July 3rd, 2018 10:00

Have you changed the factory configuration of the drive. - NO

Can you please tell me whats the next step? I really need this laptap to work with all of my files.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2018 19:00

Considering your responses, I would suggest you call Dell Support and let them run you through getting the system back.

1 Message

August 28th, 2018 07:00

Hi, I had the same issue Dell XPS 13 Hard Drive Not Installed.

Possible Solutions: Worked For me:

1.This is due to incomplete firmware update and solution  I found is " Opening Laptop Removing Hard Drive SATA Connector and reconnect> Power on again and it should be able to detect HDD. Update Firmware to prevent future shutdowns. Thank you.

2. Open lap and reset Bios. Reconnect parts mentioned above and power on. 

6 Posts

April 7th, 2019 06:00

I just had the same problem on my xps 13 9350. Mine came suddenly - froze and wouldn't boot.. I see that Dell recommended reseating the flash drive so I removed the back cover, removed the hard drive (actually a PCB of flash ships) and reseated it. I fired up the computer with the rear cover removed and after a short check of the disk, it booted into windows! Problem solved? Not quite. I put the cover back on and powered it up again, this time same problem. I took off the cover, reinstalled the flash and it started working. I noticed the the flash chips were quite hot. I'm now thinking its a thermal problem. The fan seems to be turning and it passed the fan test. No sign of dust clogs. For now I left the cover off at a 90 degree angle with a second monitor so I could get into windows and make sure all my backups are recent. Stay tuned. Either the Flash drive suddenly developed a heat problem, or the connection is intermittent, or maybe something in the air flow. I just figured I'd post this since it seems to be a common problem.

1 Message

June 17th, 2019 17:00

I have the same problem,  and I don't understand how am I supposed to get to this link from my laptop if it keeps turning off? 

• 

16.7K Posts

June 18th, 2019 07:00

Shellymw,

For my notes, Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

If your computer is out of warranty click the link below.

https://dell.to/2N5osSC

You can try turning the computer on and tapping the F2 key to enter the bios. Once in the bios choose the option to Restore Defaults. Save the changes and exit.

1 Message

September 3rd, 2019 15:00

Have you resolved this issue? I have the same issue now. What SSD I should replace for?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2019 15:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Juliesun 

Are you able to boot at all???

What is the model number of your SSD???

Best regards,

U2

3 Posts

October 1st, 2019 19:00

hello, I'm having the same problem as well. computer says "hard drive - not installed". so far, I tried resetting the BIOS, and running F12 diagnostics which still says "hard drive -not installed". I tried opening the computer 2x and physically removing and retightening the ssd, and checking ad retightening other connections. same exact warning persists. I am wondering if I will need to buy a new hard drive or if there is anything else I can try in settings, etc. thanks.

No Events found!