Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2019 11:00

XPS 13 9350 Windows 10 Update stalled because of out-of-date Intel RST driver

My Windows 10 1803 will not update to 1903 because my version of the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) driver is too old. The driver Dell currently supplies is version 15.2.2.1030. But according to Microsoft, newer versions of Windows 10 require at least version 10.5.2.1054. The relevant Microsoft support page is here.

What is Dell doing about this? Is there going to be a supported Intel RST driver for newer versions of Windows 10? My current version of Windows 10 has an "end of service" date of Nov. 12, 2019.

380 Posts

September 3rd, 2019 23:00

If you go to the Dell driver site for the XPS 13 9350, they have a new RST driver available (v16.8.3.1003) released on Aug 22, 2019. Give that a try.

JohnD

July 27th, 2019 05:00

Same situation David so not helping much. MS recommend 15.9.6.1044 but ask to check with original vendor for compatibility but cant find on dell site.

Regards

Martin

380 Posts

July 27th, 2019 06:00

That's interesting. My XPS 15 9550 has RST v15.2.2.1030 installed. I updated to Win10 v1903 using a Media Creation Tool generated USB flash drive and I had no issues. Everything seems to be working OK. Looking at the driver downloads for my system, the latest version they have is 15.7.5.1025, released September 2017.

JohnD

18 Posts

July 27th, 2019 17:00

Thanks for replying.

Interesting that you could update even though you have the old driver. I am just using the MS Update service. Maybe I should try the Media Creation Tool. But I'm concerned about what MS says about compatibility issues. I fear there's a reason the update service won't do the update.

If you search Dell Support for the Intel RST driver, you find that there are many different available versions, each with a seemingly random list of compatible Dell devices. It is frustrating that the 9350 still has only an old version of the driver, apparently incompatible with newer versions of Windows 10.

Maybe what I should do is sit tight and hope that Dell will put out a later version of the driver that is compatible with the 9350. However, I'm now getting a nagging message every day from the MS Update service complaining about the inability to update Windows 10

380 Posts

July 29th, 2019 04:00

People who have updated their RST driver are still being blocked from upgrading with the standard Windows Update method. Apparently the installation process of the RST driver is not removing the old driver from the system and the v1903 upgrade is finding those files and blocks the installation. Some people had to go into the Windows\System32\Drivers folder and rename the old drivers so they would not be picked up. What a mess!

JohnD

489 Posts

July 29th, 2019 05:00

You may not need Intel RST. It is essential for cached HDD + cache SSD configurations, but with SSD-only you can switch from RAID to AHCI and then remove Intel RST altogether. In AHCI, the NVMe driver is used instead of Intel RST for "driving" the SSD. Factory SSD drivers (Samsung, Toshiba/OCZ...) used to be faster than Intel RST, and some switched because of linux support.

Mind looking up the switching procedure (intermediate boot to Safe mode...). 

18 Posts

July 29th, 2019 07:00

Thanks for the tip. I may wind up doing this.

1 Message

July 29th, 2019 11:00

Anybody from Dell reading this? I have the same problem. And I do not want to fiddle around manually be renaming drivers. That could result in breaking something. When will I be able to upgrade my XPS 13 9350 to Windows 10 1903?

380 Posts

July 29th, 2019 23:00

There is an issue with the update of the RST drivers. Apparently the update is not removing the old drivers. Consequently when you run the v1903 upgrade, it is still finding the old drivers on your system. See the information on this thread in TenForums:

https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/137337-i-updated-rst-drivers-still-get-1903-update-error-3.html

If you have updated the RST drivers to the recommended level, then you have two options: (1) rename the old drivers still existing on your system, or (2) use the Media Creation Tool to create the install with the .iso or USB flash drive.

JohnD

18 Posts

July 30th, 2019 07:00

To JohnD:

Thanks for the information. Of course, the whole problem (as you know, to judge from your post on the forum you link to) is that Dell has not updated the RST driver for this particular device (XPS 13 9350). Since they have done for lots of others of their units, I don't understand why they haven't done it for this one.

It is interesting that even with new RST drivers, the Windows 10 upgrade sometimes still doesn't work. I look forward to reaching the point of having that problem.

July 30th, 2019 10:00

I wish DELL would provide some communication on this.  I, too, am stopped from updating Windows because of RST.   I am not computer savy and all the information I read online gives major warnings about updating the RST outside of your manufacturer.  So I am here in Dell and no update is in the drivers.   Does anyone have any info on whether DELL is working on providing us an RST update in the drivers section of website?   Thansk

1 Message

July 31st, 2019 05:00

I also have a DELL XPS 13 9350, no updated driver available and I am very frustrated I keep getting failure update messages daily. Has anyone contacted DELL direct about this?

• 

16.7K Posts

July 31st, 2019 06:00

labessade.

You can click here to download the driver from Intel. Once it is updated the Windows 10 update should continue.

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

18 Posts

July 31st, 2019 10:00

To Jesse L:

Thanks for replying. What many of us would like to know is whether Dell is going to provide an updated driver for this unit, as they have for other units. Can you tell us whether this is in the works?

Or is a custom RST update not planned for the 9350 because Dell has determined that it is not necessary?

-David

• 

16.7K Posts

July 31st, 2019 11:00

Hey davidlpotts,

I have no information if Dell is going to update Intel RST Driver for the xps 9350. You can do the following to get the driver and have Windows 10 continue to update.

You can click here to download the driver from Intel or follow the information below.

You can navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Locate iaStorA.sys and rename it to iastora.sys_x . Now, go ahead with the 1903 update and it would go through.

I hope this is helpful in getting Windows 10 updated for you. If not, let us know.

No Events found!